SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   This could be a more effective way to plan your time... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9852)

Dien Rice April 18, 2017 03:53 AM

This could be a more effective way to plan your time...

Like many other people, I generally put all my items in my "to do" list in one big list...

However, a friend recently sent me an interesting article. This article pointed out that not all tasks are alike!

The author divides tasks into to types... "Manager"-type tasks, and "Maker"-type tasks...

Manager tasks are those where you are managing things, to make sure things keep running well. It could include paying bills, tidying up, replying to customer inquiries, or hiring people to do things for you...

Maker tasks are the creative tasks. That could include writing an ebook or report, writing a series of promotional emails, designing a business model (for a future planned business), and other work that requires thought and creativity...

Manager tasks generally don't require a lot of time. Scheduling half an hour or less for each task is often sufficient...

Maker tasks, on the other hand, require longer time periods. Half-day or full-day blocks are better, to keep the "flow" going!

You can be more efficient if you divide your tasks and plans into "manager" and "maker" time periods... And make sure you do schedule those "maker" time periods, so those creative tasks get done!

This is something I'm planning to do (I haven't implemented it yet)... Writing this post is one way of reminding myself to do it... :)

If you try it out, please let me know how it goes for you... :)

One Googler’s take on managing your time
https://medium.com/@gsuite/one-googl...e-b441537ae037

Best wishes,

Dien

Steve MacLellan April 21, 2017 12:52 AM

Keeping lists and notes on the go

This may be old news to some of you...

Google Keep for the desktop is handy for putting lists, notes and images in. Then you can sync it with the Google Keep app on your cellphone. You can pin important stuff to the top and set reminders that will alert you to whatever is due. On your cellphone you can make a note and email it, send it to Twitter, or add it to Google Docs.

It works with other browsers, but Chrome works the best on the desktop. I'm guessing it works the best on an Android cellphone, but there is an app for iPhone too, that I use.

Regards,
Steve

unpinkpanther April 22, 2017 10:21 AM

Thanks Dien...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 37994)

Dien

Thank you for sharing this, Dien.

As a "lone-wolf" operation, my schedule is naturally filled with more "Maker" type activities.

It seems "Manager" type activities may involve some outsourcing/partnering.

Great tool for clarity

unpinkpanther May 15, 2017 06:06 AM

Another "little-known" way to effectively plan your time...

Simple: screen out time-wasters who pose as "prospects"

With time as our key resource in business, we need to have ways to quickly know when a supposed prospect has any future or is just distracting us from other opportunities.

I found a few useful tips that could help you screen out time-wasters:

https://www.google.com.ng/?gfe_rd=cr...t ime+wasters

Which tips resonate with you?

Quote:

Best wishes,

Dien

Dien Rice May 18, 2017 11:16 PM

I find these types of time-wasters particularly annoying...

Quote:

Originally Posted by unpinkpanther (Post 38112)
Simple: screen out time-wasters who pose as "prospects"

With time as our key resource in business, we need to have ways to quickly know when a supposed prospect has any future or is just distracting us from other opportunities.

I found a few useful tips that could help you screen out time-wasters:

https://www.google.com.ng/?gfe_rd=cr...t ime+wasters

Which tips resonate with you?

Hi,

I hate it when I feel people are "wasting my time"...

For me, perhaps the worst are people who seem to lie a lot. When I can't trust anything they say, I feel that listening to them about anything is actually wasting my time - because what they are telling me could be false!

This includes people who seem to think they know everything... No matter what the topic, they act like they know the answer. You can find this out, because they'll start talking like an expert on a topic you know about - and what they say will be wrong!

I like people who are able to admit that they don't know the answer, when they really don't know... :)

There is no shame in not knowing everything. Nobody in the universe knows everything!

Best wishes,

Dien

Dien Rice May 18, 2017 11:22 PM

I didn't know about Google Keep...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve MacLellan (Post 38017)
This may be old news to some of you...

Google Keep for the desktop is handy for putting lists, notes and images in. Then you can sync it with the Google Keep app on your cellphone. You can pin important stuff to the top and set reminders that will alert you to whatever is due. On your cellphone you can make a note and email it, send it to Twitter, or add it to Google Docs.

It works with other browsers, but Chrome works the best on the desktop. I'm guessing it works the best on an Android cellphone, but there is an app for iPhone too, that I use.

Thanks Steve,

I didn't know about Google Keep!

I'll give it a try... :)

At the moment, I use a variety of apps that sync between my computers and my phone... Specifically, I use apps/websites like Simplenote www.simplenote.com (the app/website I use most), Dropbox, Google Docs, and Google Calendar...

Best wishes!

Dien

unpinkpanther May 30, 2017 06:16 AM

Another way to look at this...

Thanks Dien for sharing this.

Another way to look at this is changing the label from "Manager-time" to "Systems-time"

For some lone-wolf operators (like me), the word "Manager" brings up nightmarish visions of a past worker-bee existence which I'll love to forget.

As much as we love the freedom of self-employment, we lone-operators still need systems so we don't keep winging it every day.

We will create more effective systems when we schedule system creation into our calendar.

And I found this model helpful

Thank you

P.S. It's my Birthday Eve. Thank you once again for all the wise tips you share here

Quote:

Like many other people, I generally put all my items in my "to do" list in one big list...

However, a friend recently sent me an interesting article. This article pointed out that not all tasks are alike!

The author divides tasks into to types... "Manager"-type tasks, and "Maker"-type tasks...

Manager tasks are those where you are managing things, to make sure things keep running well. It could include paying bills, tidying up, replying to customer inquiries, or hiring people to do things for you...

Maker tasks are the creative tasks. That could include writing an ebook or report, writing a series of promotional emails, designing a business model (for a future planned business), and other work that requires thought and creativity...

Manager tasks generally don't require a lot of time. Scheduling half an hour or less for each task is often sufficient...

Maker tasks, on the other hand, require longer time periods. Half-day or full-day blocks are better, to keep the "flow" going!

You can be more efficient if you divide your tasks and plans into "manager" and "maker" time periods... And make sure you do schedule those "maker" time periods, so those creative tasks get done!

This is something I'm planning to do (I haven't implemented it yet)... Writing this post is one way of reminding myself to do it... :)

One Googler’s take on managing your time
https://medium.com/@gsuite/one-googl...e-b441537ae037

Best wishes,

Dien

Dien Rice June 4, 2017 07:20 AM

Here's how I deal with my "To Do" list now...

Quote:

Originally Posted by unpinkpanther (Post 38181)
Thanks Dien for sharing this.

Another way to look at this is changing the label from "Manager-time" to "Systems-time"

For some lone-wolf operators (like me), the word "Manager" brings up nightmarish visions of a past worker-bee existence which I'll love to forget.

Hi UnPink,

Thanks for the tip!

By the way, here's another problem I've had in the past with "To Do" lists...

The problem is they grow... and grow... and grow!

Pretty soon, you have a huge list you can never achieve...

A big difficulty is, with such a long list, you feel overwhelmed! You feel that whatever you do, you are barely putting a "dent" in your huge "To Do" list!

Here's what I do now, which helps with this problem...

I keep my "To Do" list on Simplenote http://www.simplenote.com - this means I can read and edit it either on my computer, or on my smartphone... It automatically "syncs" between the website and any of my devices I have it installed on.

It is just a simple text editor, with nothing fancy.

I keep my "To Do" list on there, with the date written at the top...

My list still gets long. But I do two things to deal with that problem...

1. I have a separate section at the top, with no more than 7 "To Do" items on it. I never let it get more than 7 items. Those are the items I am focusing on now.

2. The second section below that (which is separated by a line with 5 dashes "-----") are all the other "To Do" items. I never look at these, unless I want to add more items to the list of 7 items at the top.

3. At the bottom, I have a last section (also separated by a line with 5 dashes). This is the "Done" section. Whenever I finish a task, I move it down to this section...

Here's how it works.

If I want to add a new task to the top section (things I am focusing on now), but it already has 7 items, then I move one item from there to the second section. This way, the top section never has more than 7 items.

Why 7 items? I chose 7 because each person can only keep around 7 items in their brain (so I read somewhere). You can have fewer there if you prefer, but I would recommend no more than 7 items. That way, you don't feel too "overwhelmed"...

I can also add new items to the middle section. These are "non-urgent" items that I don't need to do now, but which I don't want to forget.

When you finish doing something, you cut and paste that item to the 3rd section, the "Done" section. That way, you also have a record of what you've accomplished.

(Sometimes I wonder what I've done with my time... A quick look at the "Done" section helps me to remember, which can also help motivate you!)

Each day, I start a new file (with the new date). I copy the old "To Do" list to the new file. Then, I go to the bottom and delete all the "Done" stuff (so it's empty). You still have a copy of all that from yesterday's "To Do" list, in case you ever need to look it up.

I think this method is not perfect, but I've found it helps to solve some of the previous problems I've had with "To Do" lists...

Everyone is different, so what works for me may not work for you. Plus, I'm sure it can be improved!

Now, the thing is, I don't always create a new list every day. It still works if you work for a few days with the same list (the only thing is, the "Done" section gets longer than it otherwise would be). So it is flexible if on any particular day, you are too lazy to start a new list... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

unpinkpanther June 4, 2017 10:24 AM

This is helpful...

I like your To-Do/Middle/Done system of handling your "inventory" of tasks.

For some of us who still prefer planning with pen and paper, I can see how your system can still work.

Thanks for sharing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 38195)
Hi UnPink,

Thanks for the tip!

By the way, here's another problem I've had in the past with "To Do" lists...

The problem is they grow... and grow... and grow!

Pretty soon, you have a huge list you can never achieve...

I think this method is not perfect, but I've found it helps to solve some of the previous problems I've had with "To Do" lists...

Everyone is different, so what works for me may not work for you. Plus, I'm sure it can be improved!

Now, the thing is, I don't always create a new list every day. It still works if you work for a few days with the same list (the only thing is, the "Done" section gets longer than it otherwise would be). So it is flexible if on any particular day, you are too lazy to start a new list... :)

Best wishes,

Dien