SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Recalling the WINDS OF CHANGE. They came, and stayed. (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11436)

GordonJ May 21, 2023 12:46 PM

Recalling the WINDS OF CHANGE. They came, and stayed.

THE WINDS OF CHANGE WAS something I wrote in the early 2000's, and around 2011, when we had terrible fires, hurricanes, etc. I posted here.

But the WoC saw a change in the world, pre pandemic, pre housing market crash. It was a turn from unity to individuality, from cooperation to US firs. Or maybe ME first.

Today, in 2023...FEAR is the rumbling beneath our feet as the inflation continues, the budget once again cycles out of control...and we retreat into what we know...what we have taught ourselves over the years.

I have, since day one, taught Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

Not sure, but the Canadian wild fires may, once again, be a precursor to more worst before the best can get here.

Gordon

GordonJ May 22, 2023 12:19 PM

So. All of my Y2K food supplies are gone.

Oh what FUN we had with the Y2K thing.

It was one of the more popular APOCALYPTIC EVENTS back when we first started. There was the Mayan calendar, and outer space aliens, letter of Barnabas...etc., etc.

As Rosanne Rosana Dana would utter, "its always something".

Since 2000, having survived the y2k scare, Dien and I have had an adventure. I've created over 200 proprietary information products, from HOTSHEETS TO COURSES and had a few travel adventures, which I documented my journey here.

And Dien, went to S. Korea to teach English, went to West Africa as an Importer/Exporter, we listened to Harvey Brody and established our own TOLL POSITIONS, one being SowPub, now 23 years old.

One day at a time. Bit by bit.

Now we've learned a lot, shared a lot and here we are today.

What lessons are there?

Well, one of the biggest is, one found in the very beginning. You learn by DOING.

Professor Rice, his Ph.D. in physics and ten bux still gets him a Starbux latte.

He embraced selling, copywriting, and put himself out there with his Korea and African adventures, got married, had a kid and now is approaching his mid life with gratitude and happiness.

Well, DOING is what is important.

If I have any wisdom at all to depart, it is; DO, try, fail (cause you will) fast, rethink, adjust, and have a goal before you.

Now I don't like to get BOGGED DOWN, although I have many times, usually by biting off more than I can chew. One of my many faults.

But I stand by this:

Get SOMETHING out there quick. Build and expand. Keep going. Learn to automate. Let tech do a lot of the lifting.

KEEP IT SIMPLE, avoid the quagmires, quick sands, and quandaries of uncertainty and adjust your behavior to get back on track.

So. What are you doing today? Are you too building on your past?

Gordon

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 43724)
THE WINDS OF CHANGE WAS something I wrote in the early 2000's, and around 2011, when we had terrible fires, ahurricanes, etc. I posted here.

But the WoC saw a change in the world, pre pandemic, pre housing market crash. It was a turn from unity to individuality, from cooperation to US firs. Or maybe ME first.

Today, in 2023...FEAR is the rumbling beneath our feet as the inflation continues, the budget once again cycles out of control...and we retreat into what we know...what we have taught ourselves over the years.

I have, since day one, taught Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

Not sure, but the Canadian wild fires may, once again, be a precursor to more worst before the best can get here.

Gordon

Dien Rice May 24, 2023 07:46 AM

An ocean of people looking for "nourishment"

Hi Gordon,

There are an ocean of people, looking to improve themselves... And looking for "nourishment" at the same time...

Your works are great like that! People improve themselves, and enjoy themselves with thrills simultaneously!

It is rare... So much educational stuff out there is boring...

The skill to help improve people's lives, whole giving people thrills at the same time, is immensely valuable!

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 43725)
Oh what FUN we had with the Y2K thing.

It was one of the more popular APOCALYPTIC EVENTS back when we first started. There was the Mayan calendar, and outer space aliens, letter of Barnabas...etc., etc.

As Rosanne Rosana Dana would utter, "its always something".

Since 2000, having survived the y2k scare, Dien and I have had an adventure. I've created over 200 proprietary information products, from HOTSHEETS TO COURSES and had a few travel adventures, which I documented my journey here.

And Dien, went to S. Korea to teach English, went to West Africa as an Importer/Exporter, we listened to Harvey Brody and established our own TOLL POSITIONS, one being SowPub, now 23 years old.

One day at a time. Bit by bit.

Now we've learned a lot, shared a lot and here we are today.

What lessons are there?

Well, one of the biggest is, one found in the very beginning. You learn by DOING.

Professor Rice, his Ph.D. in physics and ten bux still gets him a Starbux latte.

He embraced selling, copywriting, and put himself out there with his Korea and African adventures, got married, had a kid and now is approaching his mid life with gratitude and happiness.

Well, DOING is what is important.

If I have any wisdom at all to depart, it is; DO, try, fail (cause you will) fast, rethink, adjust, and have a goal before you.

Now I don't like to get BOGGED DOWN, although I have many times, usually by biting off more than I can chew. One of my many faults.

But I stand by this:

Get SOMETHING out there quick. Build and expand. Keep going. Learn to automate. Let tech do a lot of the lifting.

KEEP IT SIMPLE, avoid the quagmires, quick sands, and quandaries of uncertainty and adjust your behavior to get back on track.

So. What are you doing today? Are you too building on your past?

Gordon

GordonJ May 24, 2023 11:45 AM

Dizzy, my head is spinning, like a whirlpool it never ends...

Thanks Tommy Roe.

I am immersed in creative activity...brain going a mile a second, so many cool things going on.

Sometimes, when I get into a "manic" state (non medical) I have to recall the time my sub surfaced in the eye of a massive hurricane. It was a surreal experience, the ocean still as glass, rainbows everywhere, tornadoes in all directions, and the sounds of birds overhead. There in the eye of disaster was the most serene, peaceful, and beautiful place one could find.

It was fantastic.

Sometimes, within the whirlpool of our lives, we need to find the still.

Because, without it, we just may get swept away in the storm.

Gordon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 43727)
Hi Gordon,

There are an ocean of people, looking to improve themselves... And looking for "nourishment" at the same time...

Your works are great like that! People improve themselves, and enjoy themselves with thrills simultaneously!

It is rare... So much educational stuff out there is boring...

The skill to help improve people's lives, whole giving people thrills at the same time, is immensely valuable!

Best wishes,

Dien