SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers And Money-Making Macintoshes (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11180)

Millard Grubb January 31, 2022 06:49 AM

Computers And Money-Making Macintoshes

Had a very interesting encounter with the owner of the local Apple store. This store is locally owned and sells Apple products exclusively.

I had previously written a course for Macintosh owners that specifically showed them how to use the features of the Mac to create income simply. My idea was to give away the course to buyers of Mac computers and to set up a joint venture with the owner.

What surprised me more than anything was that the owner of the store stated that most buyers of Macs locally were retired folks and that they would not be interested in making money !

Sheesh !

I did make sure the owner got one of my reports on making a Mac profitable, but with his reaction, I don't think he is going to do anything.

My purpose of setting up the joint venture was to get a new Macintosh !

As much as I like to barter for everything, I think I will just do a little consulting work for some of the local businesses and earn my new Mac that way instead of dipping into my cash.

Would be interesting to hear of any computer equipment trades people have done for inspiration.

GordonJ January 31, 2022 02:21 PM

Did you ask what these old farts were going to use it for?

How to Make Your Computer as Easy to Use as Your Telephone

This multi million dollar ad headline targeted the exact same market.

So, which of the money making tricks can be repurposed, or how about the secret hacks to make using your Mac easier, or how to do the webinar, video part of being a Mac user.

I see the mistake of trying to SELL your idea, rather than finding out first, what people want. This guy is a great resource, maybe you can reconnect with to find out what they really want to know, THEN, create a product or a two hour seminar, he could even host, for free to his buyers. You share your hacks with them.

I think the approach was wrong, do you see it that way Millard?

Gordon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millard Grubb (Post 42663)
Had a very interesting encounter with the owner of the local Apple store. This store is locally owned and sells Apple products exclusively.

I had previously written a course for Macintosh owners that specifically showed them how to use the features of the Mac to create income simply. My idea was to give away the course to buyers of Mac computers and to set up a joint venture with the owner.

What surprised me more than anything was that the owner of the store stated that most buyers of Macs locally were retired folks and that they would not be interested in making money !

Sheesh !

I did make sure the owner got one of my reports on making a Mac profitable, but with his reaction, I don't think he is going to do anything.

My purpose of setting up the joint venture was to get a new Macintosh !

As much as I like to barter for everything, I think I will just do a little consulting work for some of the local businesses and earn my new Mac that way instead of dipping into my cash.

Would be interesting to hear of any computer equipment trades people have done for inspiration.

GordonJ January 31, 2022 03:28 PM

The 3 times I've been given a new computer.

First time, on my list of demands for a company who wanted to hire me, it was one of the lesser demands and easy to give into.

Second time, used for a specific project, mine to keep when completed.

Third. As a bonus for doing above and beyond (although this was a tablet/computer).

What is the cost of a Mac Book to the retailer? Your offer must at least meet this price in his mind, so he feels he isn't losing money.

Say you do a two hour how to use Mac include things they may not be aware of that Mac does that Windows doesn't, like Time Machine Backup and Quick Look and drag and drop uninstalls.

OK, so these would cost maybe 50 bux from a computer training center, so if 5 people showed up, that would be 250, if you did five of these FOR his customers for free, you could show how your value is such, that the Mac would be an acceptable compensation.

Getting customers BACK in the store for a couple of hours, and having a captive audience to show some ADD ON, could be of great BENEFIT to the store owner.

You have to come at it, always, as what is in it for him? His customers making money with their Macs, doesn't make him any does it?

Gordon

donsonic177 January 31, 2022 06:26 PM

Re: Computers And Money-Making Macintoshes

This is a great topic/project I tried in the 2000s...
You would need to get into one of the mac specific print publications you see in any large bookstore or magazine stand. Online it could take some time. But in one of the key mac mags/publications or high traffic mac websites it might work. You need to test a few ads to see if folks are ready for you.
"How To Make Money With Your Mac" is a good title to start with.
"Make Money With You Mac" also pops.
https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os
https://discussions.apple.com/commun...ktop_computers
If you're serious, contact a forum administrator and (ask) if you could post and conduct virtual focus group or (ask) admin could you post—what do their users think of your "how to make money idea?" Would it fly with them?

Millard Grubb February 1, 2022 11:15 AM

Re: Did you ask what these old farts were going to use it for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 42664)
How to Make Your Computer as Easy to Use as Your Telephone

This multi million dollar ad headline targeted the exact same market.

So, which of the money making tricks can be repurposed, or how about the secret hacks to make using your Mac easier, or how to do the webinar, video part of being a Mac user.

I see the mistake of trying to SELL your idea, rather than finding out first, what people want. This guy is a great resource, maybe you can reconnect with to find out what they really want to know, THEN, create a product or a two hour seminar, he could even host, for free to his buyers. You share your hacks with them.

I think the approach was wrong, do you see it that way Millard?

Gordon

Gordon,

I see your point. Since I think marketing a lot of the time, that is what I focused on. Talk about a beginner mistake ! (Slaps forehead)

It does make more sense to teach a number of benefits most folks don't see when they purchase a Mac. I can easily talk to the owner of the store and ask what all these seasoned citizens use their Mac for.... and go from there.

I appreciate the fact that you take a 30,000 foot view of things and can observe the things we overlook.

Thanks Gordon !