SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   E-book download help (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4445)

Gregg October 11, 2007 02:06 PM

E-book download help

Does anyone have suggestions for a secure digital download program for e-books?

So when a customer purchases an ebook they are taken directly to a download page after paying. I would need it for a website and maybe for auction sites.

MichaelRoss October 11, 2007 03:08 PM

Your answer

Gregg,

Thanks for asking.

You don't need Software to do this.

I cover this in my Hotsheet called "How To Sell Ebooks On Autopilot With PayPal" which you'll find here www.hotsheetcity.com

In essence what you do is have no links to your download/thankyou page from anywhere and on that page you have the link to your product - both of these can be in a different folder on your website.

You make your Buy botton encrypted so the page location is not visible.

Michael Ross

Gregg October 11, 2007 09:44 PM

Re: Your answer

Yes Michael, I thought of that and it is the easiest way. But how secure is it?

Couldn't someone just give out the link to the download page? As opposed to a web service or software that would destroy the links after certain period of time?

Thanks again.
-Gregg

Sandi Bowman October 11, 2007 09:55 PM

Re: E-book download help

If you want a software solution, check out Download Guard.

Sandi Bowman

Cornell October 12, 2007 12:30 AM

Re: E-book download help

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregg (Post 17323)
Does anyone have suggestions for a secure digital download program for e-books?

So when a customer purchases an ebook they are taken directly to a download page after paying. I would need it for a website and maybe for auction sites.

Hi:

Yes....AthenaGold software will do just that, plus build your web site, shopping cart, and loads more....and we are re-luanching it within the next 40 days with a module that will make master resellers foam at the mouth with glee.

AthenaGold will provide a download key for your product (ebook) that can only be used by the purchaser, and once used is disabled....your download link if passed to others will not work and even if they try to plug in the key they get absolutely nothing.

I am not inserting a link as I don't want this to sound like an ad but just the answer to your question, however a search on google for the name will give you the link.

Cornell

MichaelRoss October 12, 2007 10:33 PM

Forget about Theft...

Gregg,

Thanks for wondering about Download Page Security.

Run with this thought line.... someone downloads you book from your "oh so secure download page with temporary link". They then email the Book itself to their friend instead of sending them the link.

So after all your effort... it stopped nothing.

My advice... cease all concern for people sending your link to their friends. All the security in the world will not stop a determined person. Because there is Always a way around whatever Security you put in place. Just keep the download page secret and encrypt the buy button and be done with it. And if you are still concerned... rename the download page every month and create a new encrypted buy button.

Michael Ross