SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   Original SOWPub Forum Archive (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Life beyond JV's and Internet Marketing vs. Direct Mail (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4819)

Ray Chong May 26, 2003 01:31 PM

Life beyond JV's and Internet Marketing vs. Direct Mail

Hello All,

This is my first post to this forum. I occasionally drop by for inspiration and today would like to ask a question... actually 2.

I've recently started promoting a product of mine and have experienced some success with joint ventures. What I've found is that they create a burst of traffic and sales, and just as quickly wind up.

What I'd like to know are ways that any of you successful online marketers continue the inflow of targetted vistors afterwards. Finding people with good lists of prospects that fit my product is getting increasingly difficult. Search engine optimization appears to be a very tough way of fighting for traffic, and buying keywords is something I'm looking into.

The other consideration I have right now, is to take the success of the project and turn it into a direct mail project, where I can buy lists of targetted prospects. I haven't ever done direct mail, but it poses a simpler access to the market.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can push for further growth online / and or share their experience of the probablility of successfully taking an online information product offline.

Finally does anyone have any familiarity with Ken McCarthy and his "System" seminar or information? This stuff seems really expensive, but I'm curious if it could work for me.

Thanks for your time,
Ray

Michael S. Winicki May 27, 2003 07:15 AM

DM can work but you should also consider...

space ads in publications going to people that represent your target market. Look at it this way:

Direct Mail cost of $500 to $1000 per 1,000 mailed.

Space ad cost of $5 to $25 per 1,000 magazines/newspapers/newsletters distributed.

Granted Direct Mail can contain far more information than most space ads but the space ads work great to "flush" out those prospects and cause them to raise their hands. You can then follow up with a Direct Mail piece.

I applaud your efforts to drive traffic to your site via off-line methods. I think there are a lot of on-liners that could benefit from off-line marketing.

Take care,

Mike Winicki

> Hello All,

> This is my first post to this forum. I
> occasionally drop by for inspiration and
> today would like to ask a question...
> actually 2.

> I've recently started promoting a product of
> mine and have experienced some success with
> joint ventures. What I've found is that they
> create a burst of traffic and sales, and
> just as quickly wind up.

> What I'd like to know are ways that any of
> you successful online marketers continue the
> inflow of targetted vistors afterwards.
> Finding people with good lists of prospects
> that fit my product is getting increasingly
> difficult. Search engine optimization
> appears to be a very tough way of fighting
> for traffic, and buying keywords is
> something I'm looking into.

> The other consideration I have right now, is
> to take the success of the project and turn
> it into a direct mail project, where I can
> buy lists of targetted prospects. I haven't
> ever done direct mail, but it poses a
> simpler access to the market.

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how I
> can push for further growth online / and or
> share their experience of the probablility
> of successfully taking an online information
> product offline.

> Finally does anyone have any familiarity
> with Ken McCarthy and his "System"
> seminar or information? This stuff seems
> really expensive, but I'm curious if it
> could work for me.

> Thanks for your time,
> Ray

Ron May 27, 2003 11:40 AM

Re: How I reduced costs and laber by 90% while maintaining sales

Here's something to consider...

About 7 years ago I used to sell an info product to a small niche market of professionals. It contained videos, printed manuals, etc. My hard cost for the course was about $30 and I sold it for $300.

I marketed it by taking out 2-3 small very inexpensive classified ads in niche magazines ($25/ad), had them call a toll free number to listen to a recorded message, sent 3-4 direct mailings to everyone who left their name, etc.

It's called a marketing funnel and it worked quite well. Anyone who read the ad and responded, got in the big opening of my funnel where the direct mail, and other marketing would really begin and move them to the lower end of the funnel where they would become customers.

Because of the high price points (I eventually raised the price to as high as $600) it was profitable even if I only sold a few a month. When I started averging over 10 a month I was pretty happy.

It was my first real success in world of mail order/direct response.

After a few years, sales started slowing down as they often do in a small niche market, and although it was still worth my time, it was very labor intensive and the printing, postage, etc. took a healthy chunk of the gross income. I never could make the numbers work for direct mail. After a couple of years I stopped taking out ads and let it "die."

About a year ago I decided to revive it. Because of the nature of the product, I would still sell the course in a hard format, video tapes, manuals, etc. but I wanted to see if I could get people to buy from a MINI WEB SITE ONLY, no recorded messages, no direct mail, no printing costs, no stuffing envelopes, no mailing costs. Frankly I didn't know if people would plunk down $300 after going to just a mini site. But I was determined to see if combining online and offline marketing methods would work.

I don't have time or space to detail what I did but here are the results.

I'm still running the same cheap ads in trade magazines for only about $60/months but instead of directing them to my old "funnel" I'm sending them to my website.

Since the classified ads I'm running are "til forbid" meaning the magazines run them each month until I tell them to stop, it takes no time on my part.

If they don't buy on my first visit, instead of direct mailing them followups, my autoresponder does it automatically. This combined approach has reduced my marketing costs from about $1,000/month per month to about $75/month. It's reduced my marketing workload from 2 hrs PER DAY to about 2 hours PER MONTH.

How well is all this working?

With only $60/month in offline advertising, I'm selling thousands of dollars in courses each month, in fact almost as many courses per month as I used using my "old manul labor" funnel system but at a fraction of the cost and in a fraction of the time... so it's MUCH more profitable. (I raised the price of the product to $400 with no fall off)

It's not a million dollar product but it sure is nice having thousands of dollars of extra income come in each month with almost no effort or expense.

Combining offline/online marketing is a terrific model. Advertising offline to generate traffic to your website brings in a whole fresh influx of prospects that aren't nearly so jaded as the "hard core" internet junkie. As a result, instead of needing to get large numbers of website visitors like you do with traditional online traffic generation methods to be successful, I've done very well with an average of less than 10 website visitors/day!

Ron Ruiz

Get Access to Over 173 More True Marketing & Rags to Riches Case Studies & Articles for Only $17!

Michael S. Winicki May 27, 2003 12:01 PM

Everyone trying to sell an info product should read Ron's post...

That is a wonderful marketing model for virtually any information product.

Many folks that live by the web, die by the web... they choose to ignore off-line marketing due to the cost, hassle or whatever. But it can and does work.

Again, that was a very good post.

Take care,

Mike Winicki

Ron May 27, 2003 12:42 PM

Re: Thanks Michael. It is easy

to get tunnel vision and think you have to do everything either online or everything offline.

Combining the 2 can work very well.

Oops I just noticed my sig link didn't work in my first post. Here it is again :-)

Ron

Get Access to Over 173 More True Marketing & Rags to Riches Case Studies & Articles for Only $17!

Robert Campbell May 27, 2003 02:56 PM

Thanks, Ron! Whataaaa Great Post! (NT)

NT

Art Peterson May 28, 2003 03:31 PM

Ron, What niche market or type of niche market of professionals are you selling to? (DNO) (DNO)