SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How to Advertise Within Areas of a City? Please Help. (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4132)

Griff Owens June 30, 2007 05:39 PM

How to Advertise Within Areas of a City? Please Help.

I once had an ad campaign going in the town I used to live in, which was fairly small. Now, I'm trying to restart the businsss, but I live in a bigger city now and it seems more confusing.

My previous town had two ZIP codes. I was able to do the ad program for the entire town. Let's say I found a business who wanted to sign up - the marketing was sent all over the town - nothing to figure out.

Now, the city I live in has around 40 or more ZIP codes and is sprawled out. I don't know where to start or what areas to cover. Or, how to do an overall business plan? Should I break it down into 4 to 6 areas (NW, SW, ect), or should I try to do 20 or more areas, narrowing it down more to prospects within the advertisers' immediate vicinity?

For example, say a restaurant signs up. Should I try to reach customers for him within the entire northwest area of a town, or just two or three ZIP codes around him, eliminating those who are farther out (an example of the confusion that I used to not have)?

Then, if I want to do a website along with it, should the site show the advertisers within different parts of the city, or just not break it down. I'm thinking about moving away and doing again in a smaller area, because it seemed so much more simple.

How can I overcome this confusion, and what would be the best definite strategy? The perplexity has been preventing me from getting started. I'm calling upon SOWPub's best for some answers. Please help, thanks.

Phil June 30, 2007 08:39 PM

Re: How to Advertise Within Areas of a City? Please Help.

Hi Griff,

I'm Not sure on your business idea or Marketing plan. :)

You might want to Explain a little more about the business for more Feedback...

But...

Start by Analyzing and Determinating the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics
and the Target Market(s) you plan to go after...

Understanding Your Target Market
http://www.allbusiness.com/marketing...ing/848-1.html

Phil

Griff Owens June 30, 2007 09:23 PM

Phil,

It's a welcome service sort of business that will involve a send-out to new homeowners in the city. There are a few thousand a month in the entire city, but there might only be 100 within one or two ZIP codes.

What would be the best way to do it?

Ravedesigns June 30, 2007 10:14 PM

Hi Griff,

I've often thought about doing a welcome service, but at least initially I'm working on developing a community website in my county for the purpose of helping locals get to know local businesses better.

If I was doing direct mail for new home owners like you're talking about, I'd probably divide the area into different sections like you mentioned. Why? Well, people obviously do business with folks outside of their zip codes for one, and like you said doing individual zip codes could be more work than you want to do.

I can't say for sure if one way is better than another, but you might want to research and find out how other businesses like ValPack and MoneyMailer segment their areas.

HTH,

Steve Solem
www.ravedesigns.com

Sandi Bowman June 30, 2007 10:48 PM

Griff, consider going to the source and working things from that perspective.

Realtors and your local court records are your friend if you think about it. You might offer a special deal on advertising to realtors in exchange for new homeowner referrals. You could provide 'bird dog lead coupons' for them to hand out to folks for add-on referrals from anyone they talk to.

Don't overlook the other possibilities for co-op either: florists (for showroom bouquets and welcome/thank you plants from real estate salespeople), U-haul type trailer outfits, moving companies, even new home service companies and equipment rental places. They'd all like to have free advertising credits for valid leads, I'm sure. Gives them a chance to be first-known to the new residents to help them stand out from their competitors.

Why not check demographics and housing distributions and make up 'territory maps' and sell space accordingly. Some folks may purchase several (or a 'special' on all territories) for their ads.

Hope something here is helpful.

Sandi Bowman

Larry Foster July 1, 2007 02:35 PM

I believe you can go to melissadata.com and get addresses based on zip codes or distances from a specific address.
Melissadata is a pretty good place to find all kinds of stuff.
Some of it is free.
Hope this helps.
Larry Foster

Ankesh July 1, 2007 04:48 PM

Thanks for asking Griff.

Only you - or someone living in your town - can answer that question for you. Because there is no generic answer. The answer is based on your town people's behaviour.

Gordon's rule of thumb is: people will usually travel not more than 30 minutes to get what they want. Going with that rule of thumb, you would bunch all the zip codes that can be travelled across within 30 minutes together.

But I stay in Bombay. 30 minutes travelling during peak traffic is a lot different than 30 minutes travelling during off-peak hours. So we can't rely on time a lot. We have to rely on distance. In Bombay, people won't travel even 2km to do their grocery. So most local consumer businesses focus on just marketing in one street / neighbourhood. They don't even try to canvas one entire zip code - just part of it.

Start with people's behaviour in mind. How far will they travel in your town to get a better deal? That is your target area. It may mean 2 zip codes or 40 zip codes. Only someone staying in your town can answer.

Skip Rosell July 2, 2007 09:15 AM

Hi Griff,

For a welcome service I would start with the sales end. Am I going to sell advertisers blocks of 50 or 100 or more New homeowners? Then go to:

https://www.melissadata.com/lists/ez...omeowners.aspx

Put in the zip codes and you will get the monthly counts on new homeowners for each zip code.

If a zip code contains only 10 or 12 new move in each month then I have to combine two or more zip codes. If a zip code contains 2,000 new move ins each month then I have to break that zip code down into streets or neighborhoods. Then I sell the businesses in that area so the new homeowners are always within easy reach of a business.

Best of success,

Skip Rosell

Unregistered July 2, 2007 07:06 PM

Only one problem with "Melissa Data"...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Rosell (Post 15933)
Hi Griff,

For a welcome service I would start with the sales end. Am I going to sell advertisers blocks of 50 or 100 or more New homeowners? Then go to:

https://www.melissadata.com/lists/ez...omeowners.aspx

Put in the zip codes and you will get the monthly counts on new homeowners for each zip code.

If a zip code contains only 10 or 12 new move in each month then I have to combine two or more zip codes. If a zip code contains 2,000 new move ins each month then I have to break that zip code down into streets or neighborhoods. Then I sell the businesses in that area so the new homeowners are always within easy reach of a business.

Best of success,

Skip Rosell

From my experience, the Melissa Data info is about 6 to 9 mos old. Too old to builld a business on.

Just my opinion.

Billy B. in Houston

Jason Hatchett July 2, 2007 08:17 PM

Re: Here's Another Source for New Home Owners

Try this one. http://www.brandnewmovers.com
It let's you break them down many different ways and they
seem have good prices.

Thank You,
Jason Hatchett