SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   One day workshops, classes, and teachings. (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9661)

GordonJ October 5, 2016 08:21 PM

One day workshops, classes, and teachings.

WOW, lots of interest. Let me start by telling you some of the classes I'll be taking in the coming months. NOT teaching, taking. I'll get to some of the odd ball things I'll be testing too; Like MENTAL FASCINATION, the instant hypnosis technique.

But, first.

Rollerball Class. 20 dollars for 90 min. class. A rollerball is a device for rubbing on essential oils, sort of like a liquid deodorant. The class is one of several offered on ESSENTIAL OILS. I may take all three offered.

Black Romance Necklace. 48 bux plus supplies. 2 hours.

Maybe a couple of other Christmas pieces of jewelry too, around the same price.

Scrapbook Class, 56 bux, 2 hours. (She always sells out).

There is a cake decorating class for 85, but I don't have an artistic bone in my body, but this is usually full. Oddly, at San Diego USN Class A cooking school I helped the baker decorate the weekly cakes for the boot camp grads. My job was slopping on the icing, and baking the cakes, he finished them off But this person also offers classes in cupcakes and cookies for the holidays. Imagine 10 people giving you 85 bux for a 90 min session? Not bad, eh?

Ballroom dance class at 10 bux a pop, I may need 2 to 300 lessons before I put my sparklies on.

Check your local craigslist, in both lessons and classes You'll see all kinds of things, 20 bux for half hour guitar lesson, not uncommon

Also, if you have a Community Center, check on their calendar or teach there. Here's mine 5 mins away:

http://www.cityofcf.com/play/quirk

Now, who wants to take my half day class in MENTAL FASCINATION, which I've written about here for many years. Some of you know, because I just got an email inquiry, that I studied Metaphysics with Russel Thomas in San Francisco for a couple of years, I'm probably most familiar with the works of William Walker Atkinson, Thomas Troward, Elizabeth Towne and the works of the sleeping prophet, Edgar Cayce as well as a lifelong student of Ernest Holmes.

I will also test offers on Finding Your True Love via Your Magnetic Personality and maybe an applied course on Influence with Robert Cialdini's new work as the textbook. It is called Pre-Suasion and is his best work yet.

But, whatever you can come up with is easy enough to test, just run some ads on craigslist and engage in discussion.

I believe every person reading this, could offer a class on IM, for say 49 bux for three hours on a Sat. morning and have 8 to 10 students easily, although I suggest only 4 to 6 in a class.

Any questions?

Gordon Jay Alexander, the Mystic of the Crooked River.

Dien Rice October 6, 2016 12:54 AM

Share your wisdom (or your weird words) for fun and profit!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 37259)
I believe every person reading this, could offer a class on IM, for say 49 bux for three hours on a Sat. morning and have 8 to 10 students easily, although I suggest only 4 to 6 in a class.

Any questions?

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for sharing this post about short classes...

I agree, I think you can make good dough doing this - though I haven't done it myself. (I know you have done it many times!)

My question is... What about the venue?

Do you have to shell out money to get a venue for your class? How can you do this cost-effectively?

I imagine the venue will differ of course depending on the class... For example, a baking class would be different from a scrapbooking class...

I'm very tempted to make a list of short courses (say, 1 to 3 hours) I could teach...! :)

(Maybe, "How to Annoy Gordon 101" ? ;) )

More seriously, there are quite a few topics I could do... One that springs to mind is, How to write a media release. (I've written a number of successful media releases, so far they all led to published articles, usually in newspapers... So I could easily teach a short course or do a workshop on this... :) )

Best wishes,

Dien

GordonJ October 6, 2016 07:29 AM

A very good question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 37260)
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for sharing this post about short classes...

I agree, I think you can make good dough doing this - though I haven't done it myself. (I know you have done it many times!)

My question is... What about the venue?

Do you have to shell out money to get a venue for your class? How can you do this cost-effectively?

I imagine the venue will differ of course depending on the class... For example, a baking class would be different from a scrapbooking class...

I'm very tempted to make a list of short courses (say, 1 to 3 hours) I could teach...! :)

(Maybe, "How to Annoy Gordon 101" ? ;) )

More seriously, there are quite a few topics I could do... One that springs to mind is, How to write a media release. (I've written a number of successful media releases, so far they all led to published articles, usually in newspapers... So I could easily teach a short course or do a workshop on this... :) )

Best wishes,

Dien

Start at local library. Then board of education, some school districts offer classrooms. Fraternal clubs, churches and even shared office spaces.

Check hotels and motels for those business centers.

And Dien, consider starting one.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/off/5723828546.html Here is one I have my eye on. I think it would make an excellent Mini Shared space, and with four rooms in it, could have classes running all the time.

Now, some things, like Cake Decorating and cooking classes need ovens etc. In these cases, you want to "partner" up with the owner.

And not all of these are small dollar amounts, Wall St. types are spending a couple of thousand bux for a one day training on public speaking/presentations. So, small potatoes to a new car type income can be generated from these things.

GordonJ

PS. There are a lot of after school programs too, like teaching elementary school kids golf and tennis, there is a franchise for this. Big money there.

unpinkpanther October 6, 2016 11:02 AM

Do I have questions!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 37259)
WOW, lots of interest. Let me start by telling you some of the classes I'll be taking in the coming months. NOT teaching, taking...

Any questions?

Gordon Jay Alexander, the Mystic of the Crooked River.

1. Any ideas on the format of the classes?

Like "Opening Remarks/anecdotes, main idea,
Q & A, etc"

2. Apart from Craigslist, what other traffic
sources do you recommend?

3. Do you record the classes so you can still
sell the transcripts?

4. And yes, how do you handle stage fright?

5. OK... that should be enough for now!

sandalwood October 6, 2016 11:31 AM

Re: One day workshops, classes, and teachings.

Some answers to your questions:

format depends on length of class and topic. for example when I presented an investing class (3 hours) it was formatted by topic.

Q & A, etc"

Yes, ALWAYS have opening remarks with a "what you will learn from this class" sentence or two.

your local chamber of commerce, library, fraternal organization, charities, etc.

sell the transcripts?

I never did but would do so today. It is smart to have your presentation recorded so you can sell the recordings or give them to people who can give you a bigger and better venue. Just one use btw.

You are presenting the class so YOU are the expert. Don't forget that. They paid to hear YOU educate them. What is there to be afraid of?

OK, it should

unpinkpanther October 6, 2016 11:45 AM

Re: One day workshops, classes, and teachings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandalwood (Post 37264)
Some answers to your questions:

format depends on length of class and topic. for example when I presented an investing class (3 hours) it was formatted by topic.

Q & A, etc"

Yes, ALWAYS have opening remarks with a "what you will learn from this class" sentence or two.

your local chamber of commerce, library, fraternal organization, charities, etc.

sell the transcripts?

I never did but would do so today. It is smart to have your presentation recorded so you can sell the recordings or give them to people who can give you a bigger and better venue. Just one use btw.

You are presenting the class so YOU are the expert. Don't forget that. They paid to hear YOU educate them. What is there to be afraid of?

OK, it should

Thank you!

If I ask for more answers than these, I'll
just be over-thinking this...

unpinkpanther October 6, 2016 12:05 PM

But then again...

Quote:

Originally Posted by unpinkpanther (Post 37265)
Thank you!

If I ask for more answers than these, I'll
just be over-thinking this...

What type of refreshments served, if any?

GordonJ October 6, 2016 06:09 PM

Some more answers

Quote:

Originally Posted by unpinkpanther (Post 37262)

Q & A, etc"

sell the transcripts?

Sandalwood gave you some good answers. Here are more:

1) Remind the why they are there. "Today you will have these 3 topics and followed by a Q and A. You are going to be glad at the end of this session because __________.

2) Where ever there are people. Right now, I's stick with craigslist unless you get on a location's event list, like the Community Center Fall/Winter schedule.

3) Yes, at least the audio, not always with video.

4) No stage. Usually 8 to 10 people sit around one big or two or three tables. If you must stand up, you are automatically in control, eliminate any stage fright with preparation. You aren't running for President, just be the person with the info they want.

5) Feel free to ask away. The best action to take, is run an ad on craigslist, you can always cancel the class, but write something interesting, get on the phone and get feedback.

What sort of class or lesson are you thinking of doing?

GordonJ

Dien Rice October 6, 2016 07:41 PM

Another "angle"... Make a stash by speaking through Skype...!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 37261)
Start at local library. Then board of education, some school districts offer classrooms. Fraternal clubs, churches and even shared office spaces.

Check hotels and motels for those business centers.

And Dien, consider starting one.

Hi Gordon,

Thanks - good ideas!

I'm going to spend some time over the next few days scouting out possible (cheap or free) venues for a short class...

Meanwhile, while surfing through classes on Craigslist, I found this one...
-----

Japanese Lesson via Skype!

Hi, I'm Sachiko. I teach private Japanese lessons. I offer a Skype Japanese Conversation Lesson from Tokyo.
I am certified Japanese teacher and have students at all levels, from beginners to JLPT N1 and beyond. Most of my current clients are expats living and working in Tokyo from all over the world. However, I also teach kids, adults, as well.
I'm available most times during the day, evenings, and weekends.
For this conversation lesson, I will bring a bunch of interesting questions about a topic... and we'll chat!
Some popular topics are: men vs women, childhood, getting older, drinking (alcohol), raising children, personality, sports, and travel.

I also have worksheets available to use!

-----
http://melbourne.craigslist.com.au/cls/5804725047.html

https://learnfromsachiko.wordpress.com/skype-lessons/

She charges $25 for a 30 minute class (one on one).

I thought this was a good alternative "take" on lessons - giving lessons by Skype!

Probably "one-on-one" is easiest if you're doing it this way... But, your customers can be anywhere in the world, and you don't have to leave the comfort of your home! (Or office.) :)

Best wishes,

Dien

Dien Rice October 6, 2016 07:51 PM

How long should you advertise for, to get the numbers...?

Hi Gordon,

This is a great topic... and a great idea, too...! :)

I have another question...

How long do you think you should advertise for in order to get your students? Is 2 weeks enough? A month?

(I'm sure it's probably something you'd experiment with to get it right for your area and your specific class...!)

Best wishes,

Dien