SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Blast from the past (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10050)

15minofpham December 22, 2017 12:13 AM

Blast from the past

Hi everyone,
I'm amazed and glad that this site is still around. I used to frequent this and Friends in Business in the early '00s. Unfortunately, the latter has gone extinct. I don't see Don Alm posting anymore. Is he still around?

Thanks!

Tuan

GordonJ December 22, 2017 08:41 AM

Most of the old timers have retired or moved on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 15minofpham (Post 38791)
Hi everyone,
I'm amazed and glad that this site is still around. I used to frequent this and Friends in Business in the early '00s. Unfortunately, the latter has gone extinct. I don't see Don Alm posting anymore. Is he still around?

Thanks!

Tuan

Welcome, we hope you have had a successful journey which brought you back around to us. We don't hear from Don or any of the old guys anymore, the Parade of Life, however continues, and we still bang our drums.

Many exciting things in the last 18 years. And sadly, some of our old friends are no longer with us. What have you been up to Tuan?

Gordon

Bigmack December 22, 2017 09:36 AM

Re: Blast from the past

The lady (MawMaw) that ran Friends in Business passed away a few years ago.

Mack

Cornell December 22, 2017 01:42 PM

Old guy still around....

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 38792)
Welcome, we hope you have had a successful journey which brought you back around to us. We don't hear from Don or any of the old guys anymore, the Parade of Life, however continues, and we still bang our drums.

Many exciting things in the last 18 years. And sadly, some of our old friends are no longer with us. What have you been up to Tuan?

Gordon

I am still around and still doing what I have been since 1998. I drop in here every 2 or 3 days....however the focus of the forum and the postings being put up are not really in line anymore with what I do or my area of expertise, and therefore seldom post.....but I do still lurk a bit.

unpinkpanther December 22, 2017 02:08 PM

Quite a legacy from the old timers

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 38792)

Gordon

There is a LOT of great stuff by Michael Ross, Phil, Bob Blagg, etc

Thank you, dear old timers. Your legacy lives on

P.S. Anyone still in touch with Michael Ross?

Dien Rice December 22, 2017 02:12 PM

Re: Quite a legacy from the old timers

Quote:

Originally Posted by unpinkpanther (Post 38795)

I've tried to contact him in recent times, without success...

He and I still have a "deal" in that I sell his stuff, like the Art of Leverage... (I recently "updated" it, by adding "The Hotsheet on Leverage and Toll Positions" as a special bonus...!)

Best wishes,

Dien

GordonJ December 23, 2017 09:20 AM

Today, SowPub is less of a forum, more like a blog.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unpinkpanther (Post 38795)

I think Michael Ross was the first person to get off line, as memory serves, he went into construction, maybe as a crane operator?

Since Facebook groups have become more popular, these small forums have faded away, and this one has taken on more of blog feel to it. Although I did have blogs back in the day, DOOM AND GLOOM and prior to that, a personal blog, it seemed to be pointless to keep up with them.

Regarding legacy materials. Back in 1995, in the earliest days of the www, many mail order marketers realized the potential of the Internet, even with the old dial up and slow modems. CABLE came on the scene and by 2000, it made the www a real possibility for millions of people.

If anyone is interested in copywriting, they are often given a list of books, some of those going back 50, 75 years or longer.

What is important, to me, is how information is USED, and those early 90's forums were almost always built by someone DOING something and sharing what they did, a very early adopter was Bill Myers, maybe the oldest running forum online from a one man band perspective.

Theories abound. But when someone is on the street, pounding the pavement, or in modern terms, burning through data, and actually DOing the thing, and are willing to share what they have done, well, that's the real value and LEGACY of all of us.

My message is the same today as it was in 1997, GIVE, then GET. Those early articles and forum posts aren't much different from what I post today, and perhaps, I've gotten a tad bit better at saying it.

My latest work, THE CREED, is a simple two page pdf, as simple an information product as can be created.
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/gjbiz/creedpromo.pdf

It is offered as an example of a quick and easy product to create, to get you off to a fast start, as well as a product which I am proud of and feel it will be life changing for some people, who DO IT.

And there is the crux, the DOING it. No lack of good ideas here or at 101 of the other forums, blogs, Facebook groups, what have you...

BUT things change when the reading is APPLIED, and someone actually takes action on the idea, then we get to see the real legacy in action.

As I've stated from day one, the new guy today, will be the old timer in a not so distant future, because it does go by quickly, and tomorrow is not promised to anyone, and the PARADE OF LIFE marches along, losing some band members and gaining new ones as it goes.

Thanks for the glance back, but, I'm a Janus. One eye on the past, one on the future, or as my class motto says, "The past to remember, the future to behold."

Gordon

unpinkpanther December 25, 2017 01:31 AM

Why do you say so?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornell (Post 38794)
....however the focus of the forum and the postings being put up are not really in line anymore with what I do or my area of expertise...

Hello Cornell

Merry Christmas!

I'm curious: why do you think your area of expertise may not fit into the forum today?

Cornell December 25, 2017 12:03 PM

Re: Why do you say so?

Merry Christmas.

Well it is not really that it doesn't fit, it is just that the nature of the forum has transitioned quite a bit and discussions have moved away from web design, content management, writing, new business opportunities, etc. These are the areas I am into...while WordPress has taken over I didn't grab onto it as I am still heavily involved in using content management software which is html based and designs based on its use (and fleshing out the content on these also where the client prefers not to do it themselves).

Elsewhere I am still serving and catering to newcomers to the internet marketing scene, ghost writing, sales copy, etc.

While there are still new members coming to the forum, the tone and conversations of the forum are not really dealing with these topics as they did a few years ago.

Dien Rice December 25, 2017 10:32 PM

Re: Why do you say so?

Hi Cornell,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornell (Post 38805)
Merry Christmas.

Well it is not really that it doesn't fit, it is just that the nature of the forum has transitioned quite a bit and discussions have moved away from web design, content management, writing, new business opportunities, etc. These are the areas I am into...

Thanks Cornell, that's great feedback! (And thanks Unpink for asking the questions...!)

I'm still very interested in the art of writing (nonfiction in particular), and in new business opportunities...

I still make lots of notes on these topics (as I learn new things), save various articles, and so on... I'll try to write a bit more about these topics too... :)

(In other news, I have been pulled into other areas I don't really write about here... I'm a cofounder of a money-transfer related business, so we are constantly having to solve money-transfer business related problems, which are quite specific. I've also become a band manager, which again is a whole new thing - but so far it mostly boils down to negotiation and marketing...!)

Best wishes,

Dien