SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Does anyone have experience with helping local biz's with their online marketing? (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8274)

ProfitOrProphet August 30, 2012 10:14 PM

Does anyone have experience with helping local biz's with their online marketing?

Ok so I am 27, have done sales since I was 15 and just recently had 2 year out of the game due to certain circumstances. I may be young but I was raised by my grandparents, and inherited ALOT of there old school behaviors. Don't get me wrong, I love and use the interwebs daily, but when I was top producer in my loan office, I didn't even have a web site. Just shook hands, kissed babies, yellow note pads, and telephones with cords on em. Recently my RE biz has came to a screeching halt as finding a deal that can be owner financed and isnt upside down to the hilt in Vegas is near impossible. ( My niche) It is an all cash game right now, and I have little. I mean don't get me wrong, I am about to start cleaning headlights like the rest of you, but doesn't anyone follow the OTHER entrepreneur forum, we'll call it ninjaforum. Were as this forum is more face to face, old school, hit the streets, they are all about internet marketing. I have been reading some of the little hotsheets they all sell, we will call them NSO's. And by gummit, helping local businesses get their ass online seems to be profitable. I swore I would never abandon Real Estate, but I have uncovered slowly, a way to get business sending a very small amount of direct mail, get paid upfront nearly a grand, and then a couple hundred bux ongoing monthly, for getting these local businesses to the top of google using some sneaky seo tactics. Nothing unethical, all whitehat. Just damn smart. I am about to bite and send out my batch of mailers to 3 different biz niches I wittled down, and see where it goes. It just sounds so profitable and more air conditioned than cleaning headlights. And I mean that with all due respect, cuz if my mailers flop, best believe Ill be spitshining those bad boys with the rest of ya lol.

Long story short.... Has anyone ventured into this field of helping local bizs with their online presence? Is it not as viable as them over at ninjaforum make it out to be?

Ankesh August 31, 2012 01:23 AM

Re: Does anyone have experience with helping local biz's with their online marketing?

Helping local businesses get online... is it lucrative? Yes.
Is it time consuming? Extremely.

The getting them online part is the easy part. There are checklists available for that (get them listed in Google local / maps. Create an xml file of their products and feed it to Google / Amazon via API. Start an adwords campaign. Get a keyword rich domain and do some minimal SEO.) These things can be outsourced to an Indian company at a very low cost too.

The time goes into "servicing" the clients. Because this IS a service business. Clients won't read an ad or a mailer and hire you on the spot. You'll need multiple touch points. Most of these folks hire based on word of mouth. And they will call you with the smallest of issues.

If you can systemize the getting of these clients and then servicing them, then the money is pretty good. But its not as quick as what most ebooks claim.

Add Frank Bettger's selling strategies to the mix and you've got yourself a very lucrative business. http://www.amazon.com/Raised-Myself-...6390596&sr=1-1

GordonJ August 31, 2012 10:30 AM

Let me correct a misconception re SowPub

With a few LOUD and bOisTERous exceptions, most of us do Internet Marketing in some form.

Time is time. How one spends it making money is a choice.

Some prefer the air conditioned office, others like the street and shoe leather approach.

For many of us, at the end of the day, it is what we want to do with our TIME.

Making money can be as simple as cleaning headlights, detailing cars, washing windows or whatever one chooses to do.

Some like Real Estate...as a former licensed agent, I hated it. The "true" RE biz, not the speculative part. I don't like it either.

Some sell Insurance.

Others make pizza or sell to the pizza shop owner.

I sold websites and such over a decade ago, some think too early in the game...when Bill Myers first came out with his software eShowcase.

Most SowPubbers are quiet, seldom post, just keep an eye on things. Almost all are somehow, someway involved in IM even if it is only to promote THEIR off line businesses.

Best EZ monies, In MY Opinion, is to have a TOLL position, a passive income source, then you can choose to spend your time doing other things than chasing after the dollar.

The Warrior Forum IS about ON LINE money making, and it has hundreds of thousands of "members" one guesses. It shows a desperation for doing nothing and making a lot of money. Those Warriors who have made it, have put in as much and often MORE Time than a new couple to Amway does...like a life of time.

Anyhow, just because we don't harp on it day after day, there is a lot going on here BEHIND THE SCENES than appears to be.

We sort of pride ourselves on the Quality of Visitors we have, contribute to the forum, you become an insider. Use the forum to self promote only or to shill or PIMP stuff, you won't be a member very long, OK?

Gordon Alexander

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfitOrProphet (Post 31730)
Ok so I am 27, have done sales since I was 15 and just recently had 2 year out of the game due to certain circumstances. I may be young but I was raised by my grandparents, and inherited ALOT of there old school behaviors. Don't get me wrong, I love and use the interwebs daily, but when I was top producer in my loan office, I didn't even have a web site. Just shook hands, kissed babies, yellow note pads, and telephones with cords on em. Recently my RE biz has came to a screeching halt as finding a deal that can be owner financed and isnt upside down to the hilt in Vegas is near impossible. ( My niche) It is an all cash game right now, and I have little. I mean don't get me wrong, I am about to start cleaning headlights like the rest of you, but doesn't anyone follow the OTHER entrepreneur forum, we'll call it ninjaforum. Were as this forum is more face to face, old school, hit the streets, they are all about internet marketing. I have been reading some of the little hotsheets they all sell, we will call them NSO's. And by gummit, helping local businesses get their ass online seems to be profitable. I swore I would never abandon Real Estate, but I have uncovered slowly, a way to get business sending a very small amount of direct mail, get paid upfront nearly a grand, and then a couple hundred bux ongoing monthly, for getting these local businesses to the top of google using some sneaky seo tactics. Nothing unethical, all whitehat. Just damn smart. I am about to bite and send out my batch of mailers to 3 different biz niches I wittled down, and see where it goes. It just sounds so profitable and more air conditioned than cleaning headlights. And I mean that with all due respect, cuz if my mailers flop, best believe Ill be spitshining those bad boys with the rest of ya lol.

Long story short.... Has anyone ventured into this field of helping local bizs with their online presence? Is it not as viable as them over at ninjaforum make it out to be?

shelbyc August 31, 2012 10:43 AM

Re: Does anyone have experience with helping local biz's with their online marketing?

Prophet,

I have done it a few times and personally don't find it mixes well with my personality. I really don't enjoy continued pestering to do small things on the site, and ongoing maintenance isn't always my strong suite.

If it interests you, I would say go for it. There's only one way to find out. If you're a good salesman you should consider using something as a loss leader and then coming in with a series of backend products.

My latest venture was BobRoss's giant mailers which are cool and could be used as a loss leader. I found them to be a lot of work for the money I pulled in and time invested but other people were more successful with them. With more tweaking they could be an even better project.

One point Kyle Tully said was that you shouldn't go after the big projects at first, you should start with something simple such as fixing their On Page SEO for a set price, next their Google Places and so on. This is probably where I went wrong with the concept.

Good luck and happy earning,

Shelby

GordonJ August 31, 2012 11:06 AM

As per the OP's wonderings...

Sell off line businesses Web services or actually leave the house?

I responded that Time is Time.

How much time was spent on the Bob Ross project? Or any advertising sales vehicle? Don Alm is the self appointed MASTER of this, and he has hit the streets for decades.

A guy doing giant postcards or sending out email and answering questions, supporting the project, etc. spends how much time?

I don't know.

Nor CARE.

There are just too many other ways to spend your time, to leverage it, and to maximize the income from the amount of time you spend.

Beating a dead horse into glue here, one can Chattel at higher levels and make as much as a 5000 postcard mailing using Every Door USPS service in a single morning, which may take a few weeks to sell the ads and get the printing done and back and distributed. So, what advantage is there to spend time doing this, when I can be doing that?

It is all about what one wants to do. Once they have been exposed to the higher leveraged ways to spend less time and make more money, it is hard to go back to the WORK Werk?!! way of doing things.

So, if selling online services is your cup of tea, just keep doing it.

I stay with basic thoughts.

Who do I want for a customer? How much is their lifetime value?
What can I provide to help this person in some way?

Those kinds of things...but first and foremost is, HOW MUCH TIME is it going to take to pull this thing off?

But we each get to ask our own basic questions and to resolve our TIME use in the direction of our goals, eh?

gja

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelbyc (Post 31735)
Prophet,

I have done it a few times and personally don't find it mixes well with my personality. I really don't enjoy continued pestering to do small things on the site, and ongoing maintenance isn't always my strong suite.

If it interests you, I would say go for it. There's only one way to find out. If you're a good salesman you should consider using something as a loss leader and then coming in with a series of backend products.

My latest venture was BobRoss's giant mailers which are cool and could be used as a loss leader. I found them to be a lot of work for the money I pulled in and time invested but other people were more successful with them. With more tweaking they could be an even better project.

One point Kyle Tully said was that you shouldn't go after the big projects at first, you should start with something simple such as fixing their On Page SEO for a set price, next their Google Places and so on. This is probably where I went wrong with the concept.

Good luck and happy earning,

Shelby

shelbyc August 31, 2012 06:39 PM

Good post Gordon, that's why I'm here, to find higher values for expending my time.