SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The "Power" of "words"! (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3570)

Don Alm January 3, 2007 01:17 AM

The "Power" of "words"!

The following refers to my earlier post dealing with "Sales to Car Dealers";

The "Initial part" of ANY "Sales Attempt" (whether In-Person, Email, website, or delivered by hand)....you MUST...."GRAB" the "attention" of your "target".

You do this by using "WORDS"!

We ALL speak "English" here so...by using the RIGHT COMBINATION of "WORDS" you can either succeed or fail by using the right "words" to get whatever YOU desire....in ANY situation.

Case in point: This morning, I wanted to get in to see a Millionaire owner of a large Auto Dealership. These people have the "power" to say "Yay!" or "Nay!". They own the biz and are usually extremely BUSY. So, how could a "stranger";
1) get past the "rejectionists"
and
2) IN to see the BOSS
3) on the first day back from a Holiday
and
4)get the BOSS to agree to your program?

It's in the "POWER OF USING THE RIGHT KEY WORDS!"

Now...I've been doing this for many years so...I had the ability to call upon my years of "experience"....to come up with the "right words" to get me what "I" wanted.

In order for me to;
1) Get past the "2 rejectionists (the people entrusted to trying to GUARD the "Boss's TIME")
2) Get IN to see the Boss and CLOSE him on MY product

I had to use the PROPER WORDS;

The first group of words I used were;

"I CAN DOUBLE OR TRIPLE YOUR REFERRALS!"

Now....these people are NOT dummies. The above "promise" sound all well and good BUT...you had better have some CONCRETE "Words" to backup the initial promise.....so....I added;

"I CAN PUT YOUR DEALERSHIP NAME ON EVERY ONE OF YOUR CAR BUYER'S REFRIGERATORS....GUARANTEED!"

These "words" caught the "big boss" off guard. He had never before heard the combination sentence of "Big Benefit" and "How".....expressed in THESE terms....before.

So....my "words"...."caught him like a snare"!.....which caused his "CURIOSITY FACTOR" to go bonkers. He HAD TO FIND OUT WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT! Thus....my "words" had accomplished their designed result;
"An AUDIENCE with his "Highness"....RIGHT NOW! He COULD NOT STAND IT! He HAD TO KNOW....HOW "I" was going to get HIS Dealership Name onto the refrigerator of every one of his Car Buying Customers. IT was driving him nutso!

And....when I opened his door and jammed a sample Magnet into his hand...he INSTANTLY "GOT IT"! (Again....these people are NOT dummies)

And....his instant reaction was, "How much?"

When I told him (again, with the RIGHT WORDS) .....his response was to "go ahead".

So...remember MY words;

"Whatever YOU want....in life....can be attained with the proper use of the RIGHT WORDS!"

Don Alm

Don Alm January 3, 2007 02:47 AM

2 More "Power" phrases that get "Attention"

The WHOLE IDEA in selling anything is....ya gotta GRAB yer prospects "by the shorthairs" and get 'em to STOP thinking about whatever they've been thinking about before seeing YOUR PHRASE....drop everything they've been doing and CONCENTRATE on the "Answer to your Power Phrase".

Here's one I used to get Doctors and Dentists to join my "Welcome" program;

"CAN YOUR OFFICE HANDLE AND EXTRA TEN PATIENTS A MONTH?"

"Power Phrase #2" is for GRABBING the "UNdivided AttENTION" of Pizza Delivery restaurants;

"CAN YOU HANDLE AN EXTRA TEN PIZZAS A NIGHT?"

These 2 "Power Phrases" WILL cause prospects to "Stop Thinking bout what they've been thinking bout and CONCENTRATE on "finding the answer to the question you hit them with!"

Their innate "CURIOSITY" overwhelms them to the point they have GOT TO KNOW the "answer"....and if they don't....they are NOT prospects for YOUR program.

So....by using the RIGHT COMBINATION of "Words"....it is possible to;
1) Get your HOTTEST PROSPECTS to raise their hands and respond to YOU, desirous of YOU giving them the answer.
and...
2) Prove to your HOTTEST PROSPECTS that YOU are "the one to deal with for providing them with what they WANT!"......"MORE PATIENTS" or "MORE PIZZAS"!

It's ALL in the "Power of the RIGHT combination of WORDS!"

Don Alm

Glenn January 3, 2007 04:51 AM

How to Do NOTHING and Make More Money

Dear Don,

Thanks.

Loved your "Magic Words". I can see how they'd open doors.

We like to borrow Proven Words from Mega-Million selling Direct Mail Pieces.

EZ to pick the winners.

You watch for 3 or more mailings of the SAME offer.

We got one recently (3 times) that said, "Guaranteed Money for doing Nothing."

We Tweaked it.

To fit something we'd been testing from a (Chicken Soup for The Soul) Jack Canfield site - called THE SECRET. Wrote down a "365 day/100% money back Guaranteed" plan to attract money to you with your Focused Thoughts.

From home.
Without leaving your chair.

Have grossed Nice Sales mo after mo with a PRE-tested Headline to market an E-booklet...

"How To Do NOTHING and Attract More Money"

RESULTS?

OF course it's working for us.

Our 1st few Buyers have already sent Testimonials. A New York Cabbie, A College Student, An Amateur Magician and a lady working part time at the ticket window at a race track.

Son of a gun if she didn't ATTRACT long lines of winning betters. And now that the supersititious gamblers call her "The LUCKY Ticket Window Lady"
she has gone from 2.00 tips to 20.00 tips.

So.

WATCH your Mail like a Hawk.
You too can find your next Winning HEadline...

Glenn

P.S. - You Can Watch This Winning Headline in action at: (We're testing it against a 2nd Pre-tested Headline.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3865&rd=1&rd=1

Millard Grubb January 3, 2007 09:29 AM

Re: The "Power" of "words"!

Don,

You are sooo right about using the right words to open doors.

Finding the hot button, getting a raised hand, then a solution.

It's all that simple.

Why don't you give me a ring and i can tell you how I got some big movers and shakers on my new radio show?

Cheers,

Millard Grubb

ImpactYourArea.com January 3, 2007 12:11 PM

Don, how about Power Words for....

Rejectionists.

What are some good phrases or power words to get the rejection to say, "Hold on my boss needs to hear this!"

I'm always looking for examples others use or say so that I can add them to my sales presentations.

Woody Quiñones
ImpactYourArea.com

Sandi Bowman January 3, 2007 01:15 PM

Hi, Woody,

I'd like to approach your query from a different perspective, if I may...and you may just find that your problem disappears.

First, forget about the rejectionist theory. She/he is just another person to talk to and persuade with a little ingenuity. They're not the enemy...and thinking they are will put up barriers that all the 'right words' in the world won't breach.

There are two approaches here. One is to treat the rejectionist (not sure I like that word at all) as an interesting person in their own right. You'll get through to the boss if the person you first chat with likes you...and they will if you take an interest in them. Simple. Effective.

The other approach is to take the view that, what you have is so important to the boss/company that any question of it's importance would be an insult to all. This requires practice and skill but it's devastatingly effective if done right. You ACT as tho' you're as welcome as the sunshine, that the boss would be delighted to see you, that you 'belong' there and are a part of their extended family. If the rejectionist questions you, beyond name to announce, she/he would in effect to be questioning her boss/company decisions/expectations. It begins with an attitude and the simple statement of Mr so and so to see Mr. big...substituting names, of course, and then just stand there expectantly. Expectantly as in announcing you to mr. big as you look around anywhere except at the receptionist. Remain standing until you are told Mr. so and so will see you now or will be out in a few minutes.

The rejectionist is in the eye of the beholder, not a fact of life, if you look at things that way. You don't try barging through the door without unlatching it well, you don't barge through the receptionist without courtesy and a reasonable approach either.

Good luck, Woody. :o)

Sandi Bowman

Millard Grubb January 3, 2007 03:43 PM

Sandi,

I like your thoughts on the subject.

One thing that has worked for me is to have a very good gift or magic trick that makes the secretary feel important or happy. (I was professional performer for many years)

Being able to create a rose from a paper napkin or doing a magic trick where the secretary is the star has opened a lot of doors for me.

Additionally, bringing in some very nice chocolates or just something funny gives me a foot in the door.

I know of one successful medical salesman who GAVE each doctor a $30 magic trick to "bribe" them for time. It worked for him.

Cheers,

Millard Grubb

Jason January 3, 2007 04:48 PM

Sandi and Millard you are right on!

I have been on the receiving end of several cold calls myself.
Not once have I NOT heard "I can save you X $, or We can tripple your blah blah blah."

This reminds me of a guy trying to pick up a girl using a line like
"Are your feet tired? .............."
For those that may not have heard the lame line before the conclusion is
"They must be because you have been running through my mind all night!"

I agree it is real lame and has been told 1 million times before and this is the reason it is not your best IN.
I can almost guarantee that if a guy tried that line on a girl, she would turn her back before you even finished!

However the guy that takes a REAL interest in the girl and talks about her instead of him will have way better odds of getting and keeping her attention.

It only takes a couple seconds to engage a "gate-keeper" and befriend them vs. talking past them just like every other clown that wants to see the big dog.

I would also like to state that I like to under promise and over deliver.
If I would tell a customer that " I can double or tripple your referrals" I had most certainly do it or the program is dead in the water before I would even have to to make it something worth mentioning.
The cleint WILL remember that I told him I will double or tripple his referral business.
After a few thousand dollars to me and this doesn't happen, I will be told to go fly a kite!
Not to mention any other promotion I try to sign them up for will be a big NO!

Best wishes in 2007!
Jason

ImpactYourArea.com January 3, 2007 05:50 PM

Sandi and Millard

Greetings and Happy New Year to the both of you.

Sandi,

I was asking for power words and phrases to add to my colllection, that I can call on when introducing myself or giving a presentation.

Unfortunately, I meet with many people on a daily basis, and frankly some are rejectionists by their own means. I don't believe companys want their personel to represent them in any negative way. Not even towards salesmen that call on them, because it reflects badly on them and not their gatekeeper.

I belive that having certain phrases or words to say that can ease or lighten the mood are quite helpful. I like to get them laughing if I can. When you get them laughing the walls drop down.

Which brings me to you Millard. You have just helped me incorporate something I've been doing since the age of 5. I am a close-up magician of 43 years.

Coins and cards are my niche. Back in the late 70's and early 80's I was in a traveling circus and use to perform before people as they walked through the Midway and then would go into the tent and walk amoungst the crowd doing coin and card tricks for children sitting in the bleachers.

I never thought to tie my talent to my vocation. 2007 is going to be awesome. Thanks to the both of you for your insight.

Woody Quiñones
ImpactYourArea.com

Dien Rice January 3, 2007 11:31 PM

How the power of Words helped businesses survive the Great Depression

During the later part of the Great Depression - after the prohibition laws had been repealed - the management of the Statler Hotel wanted to increase sales of wine. While many of their restaurant customers drank beer, they made more profit on the wine. So they hired Elmer Wheeler.

Elmer Wheeler had the staff test many different sentences to the customers. In most restaurants, he noticed the waiters already asked "May I take your drink order now?" or some similar phrase. So he had them try a different phrase.

First, he had them try "Would you like any wine with your meal?" That only made a small increase in the sales of wine. It was easy for the customer to say "No."

Then he had the waiting staff say, "Would you prefer red or white wine with your meal tonight?" When they said that phrase, sales of wine shot up dramatically!

This was an example of one of his "Wheelerpoints" - "Don't ask if, ask which." When you ask "which" one the customer wants, you're less likely to get "no" for an answer. It shows the power of words!

By the way, Tom Sant has an interesting book I've been browsing through, called "The Giants of Sales". He takes four personalities of the 20th century, and uses them to illustrate four different ways of making sales. They are:

John Henry Patterson. I'd never heard of him, but apparently he helped to pioneer making sales through a "process". Anyone who has ever done any basic company sales training would know exactly what that means.

Dale Carnegie. He uses Dale Carnegie as an example of making sales through relationships. It's true that when you have a good relationship with people, they're more likely to buy from you .

Elmer Wheeler. He illustrates making sales through the power of words.

Joe Girard. He's in the Guiness Book of World Records as the world's most successful salesman, having sold 13,001 cars from a Chevrolet dealership in Detroit, between 1963 and 1978. He's used as an example of how people's relationships with each other can be used to get more prospects.

If you want to find out more, here's a 1938 New Yorker article about Elmer Wheeler, and here's chapter 13 and chapter 14 from Tom Sant's book (both chapters are about Elmer Wheeler)...

Thanks for hearing me out... :)

- Dien