SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I did a search on this classic ad. Thought I'd find PLENTY, but... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8421)

-TW February 22, 2013 08:58 AM

I did a search on this classic ad. Thought I'd find PLENTY, but...
 
Callsic ad (ALL OVER subways in NYC in the 60's + 70's)...

If u cn rd ths msg , u cn gt a gd jb [etc.]

Does anyone remember that?

Couldn't find it talked about online, surprisingly.

-- TW

Barcroft February 22, 2013 01:39 PM

Re: I did a search on this classic ad. Thought I'd find PLENTY, but...
 
It was from an ad for learning 'notehand', a Gregg shorthand knockoff.

-TW February 22, 2013 04:07 PM

Re: I did a search on this classic ad. Thought I'd find PLENTY, but...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barcroft (Post 32478)
It was from an ad for learning 'notehand', a Gregg shorthand knockoff.


Yes, I remember that. I thought it was called speed writing.

Dien Rice February 23, 2013 01:17 PM

Evryne wll wrt lk tht in th ftr
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by -TW (Post 32476)
Callsic ad (ALL OVER subways in NYC in the 60's + 70's)...

If u cn rd ths msg , u cn gt a gd jb [etc.]

Does anyone remember that?

Couldn't find it talked about online, surprisingly.

Thanks TW for posting about that! I think it's a pretty clever ad... People are obviously remembering it many decades later! I wonder if it was effective in bringing in customers?

Of course, a whole new generation is being trained to write like that. I don't mean texting - since at least with texting, abbreviations are optional. I mean Twitter!

That dang 140 character limit forces everyone to write like that!

I mean...

Tht dng 140 chrctr lmt frces evryne to wrt lk tht!

I say... we should all start getting used to it, because everyone will write like that in the future! :)

Best wishes,

Dien

-TW February 25, 2013 11:01 AM

Re: Evryne wll wrt lk tht in th ftr
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 32487)
Thanks TW for posting about that! I think it's a pretty clever ad... People are obviously remembering it many decades later! I wonder if it was effective in bringing in customers?

Of course, a whole new generation is being trained to write like that. I don't mean texting - since at least with texting, abbreviations are optional. I mean Twitter!

That dang 140 character limit forces everyone to write like that!

I mean...

Tht dng 140 chrctr lmt frces evryne to wrt lk tht!

I say... we should all start getting used to it, because everyone will write like that in the future! :)

Best wishes,

Dien


Spk fr yrslf.

Chrs.

michellepinto March 6, 2013 08:42 AM

Re: I did a search on this classic ad. Thought I'd find PLENTY, but...
 
Sounds like today's SMS language. What brand did this and when?

-TW March 8, 2013 01:36 AM

Re: I did a search on this classic ad. Thought I'd find PLENTY, but...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by michellepinto (Post 32522)
Sounds like today's SMS language. What brand did this and when?


It's a classic ad that was EVERYWHERE in NYC in the 60's + 70's.
So omnipresent that people would make fun of it.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.