SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Political content could pay... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10010)

Dien Rice October 11, 2017 07:15 PM

Political content could pay...

It seems political content is winning...

Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Kimmel, with their more political content, keep climbing in audience numbers...

...while Jimmy Fallon, who is much less political, keeps bleeding viewers...

Heavy focus on politics pays off for Colbert, Kimmel
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/35...colbert-kimmel

An interesting trend of the times!

Should you be focusing on politics in your content?

I'd say, it depends on your product and your audience!

Certainly for some, it could pay off...

Best wishes,

Dien

GordonJ October 12, 2017 09:19 AM

So, are WE now going to go "all in" on politics?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 38628)

Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Kimmel, with their more political content, keep climbing in audience numbers...

...while Jimmy Fallon, who is much less political, keeps bleeding viewers...

Heavy focus on politics pays off for Colbert, Kimmel
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/35...colbert-kimmel

An interesting trend of the times!

Should you be focusing on politics in your content?

I'd say, it depends on your product and your audience!

Certainly for some, it could pay off...

Best wishes,

Dien

Should I? Should WE? You know there are those just dying to jump into politics here, and some want to include their religious beliefs too.

So, Are we going for ratings here? Bribes, free gifts, cash bonuses didn't help, so maybe a free for all political forum is smart marketing, you know, giving the people what they want?

Maybe a poll? Are you all up for some politics?

GordonJ

Dien Rice October 12, 2017 05:10 PM

The most insightful article I've read in a while...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 38630)
Should I? Should WE? You know there are those just dying to jump into politics here, and some want to include their religious beliefs too.

So, Are we going for ratings here? Bribes, free gifts, cash bonuses didn't help, so maybe a free for all political forum is smart marketing, you know, giving the people what they want?

Hi Gordon,

I dunno... Certainly some things are relevant...

I thought this was a good article, which is also relevant to business... I felt it was the most insightful article I've read in a while (it's from Forbes magazine)...
"Donald Trump didn't get rich building businesses, despite years of brand-burnishing via The Apprentice and millions of votes from people who craved exactly that experience. Instead, his forte lies in transactions—buying and selling and cutting deals that assure him a win regardless of the outcome for others. The nuance is essential. Entrepreneurs and businesspeople create and run entities that have any number of interested parties—shareholders and customers and employees and partners and hometowns—that in theory all share in success. Under Steve Jobs and Tim Cook, Apple has helped early shareholders multiply their investments nearly 400-fold, turned thousands of options-wielding employees into millionaires (swelling the local tax base), performed similar wonders for Taiwanese supplier Foxconn and made customers so deliriously happy that they wait all night to fork over hundreds of dollars for products that will be obsolete two years later.

"Dealmakers rarely seek that kind of win-win-win-win-win. Whether it's a stock trade, a swap of middle relievers or optioning a real estate parcel, a deal tends to involve just two parties and generally results in one coming out ahead of the other (so much so that a "win-win" is considered a noteworthy aberration). "Man is the most vicious of all animals," Trump told People in 1981 (and it merited a mention the first time he appeared in Forbes , a year later). "Life is a series of battles ending in victory or defeat." It's a mentality that remains hard-wired in President Trump.

"Nearly a year after the most stunning Election Day in many decades, pundits still profess to find themselves continually shocked by President Trump. They shouldn't be: His worldview has been incredibly consistent. Rather than as an opportunity to turn ideology into policy, he views governing the way he does business—as an endless string of deals, to be won or lost, both at the negotiating table and in the court of public opinion. Look at his first year through this prism, and it makes sense. And it offers clues for the next three years—or seven."
Inside Trump’s Head: An Exclusive Interview With the President, And The Single Theory That Explains Everything
https://www.forbes.com/donald-trump/.../#10677e80bdec

It's the difference between a "win/win" type of mindset, and an "I win/everybody else loses" mindset...

And this is from Forbes magazine... One of the leading business publications...

Best wishes,

Dien

GordonJ October 12, 2017 08:10 PM

Since you mentioned the antichrist, is it much different from

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 38631)
Hi Gordon,

I dunno... Certainly some things are relevant...

I thought this was a good article, which is also relevant to business... I felt it was the most insightful article I've read in a while (it's from Forbes magazine)...
"Donald Trump didn't get rich building businesses, despite years of brand-burnishing via The Apprentice and millions of votes from people who craved exactly that experience. Instead, his forte lies in transactions—buying and selling and cutting deals that assure him a win regardless of the outcome for others. The nuance is essential. Entrepreneurs and businesspeople create and run entities that have any number of interested parties—shareholders and customers and employees and partners and hometowns—that in theory all share in success. Under Steve Jobs and Tim Cook, Apple has helped early shareholders multiply their investments nearly 400-fold, turned thousands of options-wielding employees into millionaires (swelling the local tax base), performed similar wonders for Taiwanese supplier Foxconn and made customers so deliriously happy that they wait all night to fork over hundreds of dollars for products that will be obsolete two years later.

"Dealmakers rarely seek that kind of win-win-win-win-win. Whether it's a stock trade, a swap of middle relievers or optioning a real estate parcel, a deal tends to involve just two parties and generally results in one coming out ahead of the other (so much so that a "win-win" is considered a noteworthy aberration). "Man is the most vicious of all animals," Trump told People in 1981 (and it merited a mention the first time he appeared in Forbes , a year later). "Life is a series of battles ending in victory or defeat." It's a mentality that remains hard-wired in President Trump.

"Nearly a year after the most stunning Election Day in many decades, pundits still profess to find themselves continually shocked by President Trump. They shouldn't be: His worldview has been incredibly consistent. Rather than as an opportunity to turn ideology into policy, he views governing the way he does business—as an endless string of deals, to be won or lost, both at the negotiating table and in the court of public opinion. Look at his first year through this prism, and it makes sense. And it offers clues for the next three years—or seven."
Inside Trump’s Head: An Exclusive Interview With the President, And The Single Theory That Explains Everything
https://www.forbes.com/donald-trump/.../#10677e80bdec

It's the difference between a "win/win" type of mindset, and an "I win/everybody else loses" mindset...

And this is from Forbes magazine... One of the leading business publications...

Best wishes,

Dien

...The ultimate Win/Lose is when any religious fanatic says, "I'm going to heaven, you to hell." I'd have to believe that is the ultimate, I WIN-You Lose scenario.

And so, if we agree with the Forbes assessment of the man, are we winning or losing?

So today, politics and religion are deeply intertwined, and so we can discuss them both.

GordonJ

MMacGillivray October 13, 2017 02:09 AM

Re: Political content could pay...

That's some scary game of chicken.

I'm not a fan.

Margaret

ps It does sound like the view from the roof, tho!

Dien Rice October 13, 2017 07:04 AM

Re: Since you mentioned the antichrist, is it much different from

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 38632)
...The ultimate Win/Lose is when any religious fanatic says, "I'm going to heaven, you to hell." I'd have to believe that is the ultimate, I WIN-You Lose scenario.

Hi Gordon,

I think the difference with religion is, people don't TRY to make you lose... They may believe you will lose, but they (usually) try to get you to join what they see as the winning side...

So the intentions are good ones... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

Dien Rice October 13, 2017 07:05 AM

Re: Political content could pay...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMacGillivray (Post 38633)
ps It does sound like the view from the roof, tho!

Hi Margaret,

That reminds me... We should discuss more of Harvey's stuff...

He's definitely got some very powerful concepts...

Best wishes, :)

Dien

Steve MacLellan October 15, 2017 03:51 PM

Or a sub niche of politics?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 38628)

Politics is a broad range. Could even be broken down. Example might be a fellow I did some web work for who writes about low income folks and how it relates to politics in Nova Scotia.

Again this is only an example, to give you some ideas:
https://nsadvocate.org

Regards,
Steve

250.ct November 13, 2017 04:49 PM

Re: So, are WE now going to go "all in" on politics?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 38630)

GordonJ

Please for the love of GOD, emphatically NO POLITICS!

Dien Rice November 14, 2017 01:32 AM

I hears ya! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 250.ct (Post 38694)
Please for the love of GOD, emphatically NO POLITICS!

I hears ya! :)

- Dien