SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Here's another real-world example of "logic" actually GUMMING UP the works! (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7940)

-TW January 27, 2012 06:19 PM

Here's another real-world example of "logic" actually GUMMING UP the works!

Got a call from a previous client wondering WHY I DIDN'T CALL HER, to see if she wanted to reorder.

Where logic falls to the ground is, if she wants to reorder (she does), and she has all my contact info (she does), why (oh why!) is she waiting for ME to contact her to see if she wants to reorder?!?!?

So, in other words, I must take the initiative to persuade people who need persuading. But I ALSO must "persuade" those who are ALREADY persuaded?!?! Huh?!?!

Makes no sense!

That's like -- I need a gallon of milk, and then I sit there wondering why the store isn't CALLING ME to take my order -- and I'm not gonna buy milk until they do CALL ME -- even though I know darn well where the store is, and I'm the one who wants the milk!!!

-- TW

GordonJ January 27, 2012 07:49 PM

TW, you are as much a mystery to me as Glenn Osborn is to you...

TW,

Tim, I just don't get you. I think you may have said that about Glenn Osborn and his Weird NLP tricks.

I get you are an analytical, or a green, or a Taurus or stubborn or bullheaded or whatever....

Personalities, be they 4 of Richard Dennis' chart, 12 astrological signs or 16 of psychological jargon...

I get personalities.

I don't get you Tim. And that's ok, just like you not getting Glenn.

But, I'd think at some point, maybe you'd quit doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

People are NOT logical. PERIOD. End of story.

Having worked in a state mental facility for a couple of years, and seeing people do the same things over and over, because they have an illness which makes them, or creates the thougths...to do that...

I'm always puzzled by people like you, who by your own admissiong, keep gumming things up because you can't make people think like you.

I just don't get it.

You are smart, probably too smart in some ways, but...when does the

TRY A DIFFERENT WAY kick in?

No one is getting any younger, why delay or wait one day more to make an adjustment and take some action...and solve the problem in the direction of your goal...

but having a goal of

keeping on doing what you are doing and expecting different results...

well, it's just insane. Isn't it?

As for your thinking, biggest excuse of all time...

that's just the way I am.

It is a nice excuse to fall back on...I suggest you get some professional help and try to get rid of the blocks, which are deeply subconcious, which keep you on the insano train doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Maybe buy one of those Glenn Osborn courses and really get into it??

Good luck TW, I think you're going to need a lot of it.

Gordon

Quote:

Originally Posted by -TW (Post 29941)
Got a call from a previous client wondering WHY I DIDN'T CALL HER, to see if she wanted to reorder.

Where logic falls to the ground is, if she wants to reorder (she does), and she has all my contact info (she does), why (oh why!) is she waiting for ME to contact her to see if she wants to reorder?!?!?

So, in other words, I must take the initiative to persuade people who need persuading. But I ALSO must "persuade" those who are ALREADY persuaded?!?! Huh?!?!

Makes no sense!

That's like -- I need a gallon of milk, and then I sit there wondering why the store isn't CALLING ME to take my order -- and I'm not gonna buy milk until they do CALL ME -- even though I know darn well where the store is, and I'm the one who wants the milk!!!

-- TW

Bozo January 27, 2012 09:23 PM

Here's why she didn't call to reorder

"Where logic falls to the ground is, if she wants to reorder (she does), and she has all my contact info (she does), why (oh why!) is she waiting for ME to contact her to see if she wants to reorder?!?!?"

As part of the sale you made previously, she got it into her mind that you would take care of her.

"That TW, such a nice person he is, so helpful. I'm glad he's the one that I ordered from, I just know he'll be there in the future for me."

Given your personality, I'd have to wonder how she got that impression from you, but there it is. She figured you'd take care of her needs and call to check on her needs.

You inadvertently sold her on you. Figure out how you did that, and do it to someone else.

-TW January 28, 2012 04:54 AM

Re: Here's why she didn't call to reorder

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozo (Post 29947)
"Where logic falls to the ground is, if she wants to reorder (she does), and she has all my contact info (she does), why (oh why!) is she waiting for ME to contact her to see if she wants to reorder?!?!?"

As part of the sale you made previously, she got it into her mind that you would take care of her.

"That TW, such a nice person he is, so helpful. I'm glad he's the one that I ordered from, I just know he'll be there in the future for me."

Given your personality, I'd have to wonder how she got that impression from you, but there it is. She figured you'd take care of her needs and call to check on her needs.

You inadvertently sold her on you. Figure out how you did that, and do it to someone else.

lol

MMacGillivray January 28, 2012 09:31 AM

Re: Here's another real-world example of "logic" actually GUMMING UP the works!

Many of you know that my hubby and I have a shop; we make buying decisions of one kind or another all the time. We are prepared to lift the phone and call someone, especially if we know we have a sale which depends on getting the new stock.

However, we also love to get the service from our suppliers. We quite often buy from the people who are prepared to take the time and call in to see us and show us their wares. There are times and people who get a "No thanks!" Many times, even a regular supplier will only get an order if they call in because we can easily fill the space up with products from someone else who has made the effort to come and see us.

If you are selling a service, it follows logically that you have to provide the service.

:)

Margaret

ps

TW - there is just too much competition in the world for you to wait for the orders to come to you; you have to put yourself in front of customers, new and old, before the competition beats you to it.

A long time ago, I worked for an employment agency in Glasgow. Each month, without fail, we would cold call existing and potential clients to see if they had permanent or temporary vacancies. I am sure there were many times that the personnel officer could have screamed when we phoned. However, the logic for making the calls was that it kept our service in front of potential clients; we quite often phoned when there was a temporary vacancy which had just been notified to the personnel office and we had the opportunity of putting candidates forward for it. There were other times when there was a lucrative permanent vacancy and we again got the chance to list it before our rivals. We hated making the phone calls - and the boss was worse than us at following the script and dealing with objections. The business was successful, though, because we made the effort.