SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Remembering Steve Irwin, the "Crocodile Hunter"! (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1621)

Dien Rice September 5, 2006 06:22 AM

Remembering Steve Irwin, the "Crocodile Hunter"!

As many of you would have heard, Steve Irwin (the "Crocodile Hunter" from TV) was killed yesterday. He was killed by a stingray while making a documentary...

I was saddened at the news, and I know I wasn't the only one. Looking at the Yahoo News most popular news items http://news.yahoo.com/i/964, 3 of the top 10 most viewed news items at the time of posting this were about Steve Irwin. I also checked a little earlier, and then, 4 news items in the top 10 were about him! Clearly Steve Irwin was loved the world over...

The strange thing, in my case, though, was - I've hardly watched his show. I've maybe seen him a couple of times on his show, and a couple of times on "talk shows", and that's about it. Yet, when I heard the news yesterday, it affected me emotionally... And talking to others I know, I wasn't the only one.

Why would I feel like that - when I had hardly even watched his show?

I think it's because... Well...

It's a little like Gordon Alexander writes about in the "White Bread Post" http://www.sowpub.com/story-whitebread.shtml ... where Gordon tells his story of selling plain, white bread... And how he became genuinely enthusiastic about all the things you can do with white bread! That's how he was able to sell out of bread!

The lesson?

You can’t do anything well without enthusiasm!

Steve Irwin was always amazingly enthusiastic about what he was doing... And he wanted to share that enthusiasm with everyone else! I think it was hard not to get caught up in it too!

Just a little post to remember a great man...

and a good lesson we can all learn from him, and remember him by...

- Dien Rice

Joetrevison September 5, 2006 09:19 AM

Re: Remembering Steve Irwin, the "Crocodile Hunter"!

I to watch him very seldom but knew him as a brave and sometime fooless man. But loved by all. Maybe that is it. I don't know but when a man dies it takes something out of all of us. I mean women too.

Chuck Huckaby September 5, 2006 12:01 PM

Funny how "nobody" watches him (or admits it!) but everybody "knows" him.

I think you're on to something Dien, though he's not on a regular playlist, he was UNFORGETTABLE.

I was thinking about the Fed Ex ad he did after hearing he was killed. In that ad he pretended to get bit by a venemous snake but "no worries" the serum was coming by Fed Ex... right? No, so he died... in the commercial.

Sadly, he really DID die this time.

He will be forgotten with sorrow may he rest in peace.

karunnt September 5, 2006 12:23 PM

I think it affects us because he was a genuine person. What you saw what exactly what he was. There was no facade to decipher, no agenda. Just a truly passionate person into his work. And I got the feeling that he was trying to tell us something that he thought was important for us to know.

Phil September 5, 2006 03:05 PM

I was reading through some of the 1,000's of postings on MSN...

Very, Very Sad... But he Truly loved what he did and people loved him. How many people can say that about their Lives. He Enjoyed every minute to the Fullest and Moved on doing what he Loved!

If you believe in reincarnation, he'll be Back... If you're like me, We've been here in Life a few times before and we'll be back for more. :)

Steve Irwin will be missed...

http://tinyurl.com/mvsuc

Although I do remember, he took a Big chance with his son when he was a baby. Thank god he was Ok But that one got him Lots of Bad Publicity...

Photo: Australia's crocodile hunter Steve Irwin holds his one-month-old baby ... The stunt drew comparisons with Michael Jackson dangling his baby son over ...

Crocodile hunter slammed for baby stunt
http://evalu8.org/staticpage?page=review&siteid=6243

Phil

MichaelRoss September 5, 2006 03:45 PM

A Great Man???

Dien,

Frankly, I'm fed up with hearing about Steve Irwin.

He was Not a Great Man, he was just a man, like you, me, anyone. In fact, there are other Men who we will never know, who are Much greater. Men who have struggled their entire lives to raise a family and instill Good values into their children, and as a result, end up with children who treat people well. They do not put on fake enthusiasm everytime the camera is on them, and jump around like they've had too much coffee. Who aren't hypociritcal. And who love their family more than life. And have laid their life on the line to fight in other people's wars in the belief they are doing the right thing by their country.

Just because someone gets a few minutes of TV time does Not make them great.

Onwad.

The poster who mentioned the FedEx ad... it's these kinds of things I dislike about people acting in a way in which they sustain injuries. Christopher Reeve, Steve Irwin. Their lives following their rolls?

Michael Ross

RickC September 5, 2006 04:34 PM

I will admit that I've been a big fan of his show for about four years now. I believe he went on U.S. television in 2002 with the Crocodile Hunter, on the Discovery channel. I could be wrong on that date, but I've enjoyed the show for awhile.

My children LOVED him. He taught them things I never could. My children in 2002 were 5 and 3. Now they are 9 and 7 and the thought of his passing hasn't sunk in to them yet. When you see someone on TV, you still think they are here. It will be a sad learning experience for these young people.

I can't speak for everyone of course, but Steve Irwin was a compassionate conservationalist that could hold his own with the TV camera. He made learning about wildlife fun, because that was his life. No apologizes. Just the way it should be.

He will be missed!

Richard

Ankesh September 6, 2006 02:31 AM

Re: A Great Man???

Hi Michael,

People talk about people they know.

And because of the TV - millions of people knew Steve Irwin.

And so they all are talking about him now that he is dead. Just because its getting to be too much - so many people talking - doesn't make the man "not great."

"Untimely" death usually wins peoples sympathies. And the person is elevated to a higher position than he should be (And maybe thats why more people cried when princess Diana died than when mother Teresa died). But that still doesn't make him "not great." It may make him "not as great." But thats a judgement call.

I think Steve Irwin was a hero for many. Many got inspired by him. And that makes him great in my eyes.

MichaelRoss September 6, 2006 07:15 AM

Ankesh,

Thanks for jumping in.

I guess I have higher standards when it comes to declaring a person to be Great.

Michael Ross

Dien Rice September 6, 2006 07:42 AM

Hi Michael,

Thanks for commenting!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelRoss (Post 5140)
He was Not a Great Man, he was just a man, like you, me, anyone. In fact, there are other Men who we will never know, who are Much greater.

I agree with this. Probably the "greatest" people are not publicly well-known figures.

Quote:

They do not put on fake enthusiasm everytime the camera is on them, and jump around like they've had too much coffee.

Your comment may or may not be a comment on Steve Irwin. Obviously, I didn't know Steve Irwin personally, so I can only comment on what I've heard, but I've read comments of those who knew him say that he had the same "hyper" personality when the cameras were off.

(Some people are just "hyper" - I once worked with a guy who was naturally "hyper" pretty much all the time.)

Quote:

The poster who mentioned the FedEx ad... it's these kinds of things I dislike about people acting in a way in which they sustain injuries. Christopher Reeve, Steve Irwin. Their lives following their rolls?

Yeah, I don't really "pity" him because he died, or because of the way he died. I kind of think if he was going to die, he would probably want to die along the lines of the way he did. I guess I had a respect for his apparent love and enthusiasm for what he was doing - and how he wanted to share it with others! He was doing that (via the zoo) even before he was doing it through the TV cameras... Just with the TV cameras, he was able to "share his enthusiasm" with a much wider audience...

- Dien