SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   Original SOWPub Forum Archive (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sales Help (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4801)

Rick Dilsworth May 16, 2003 09:20 AM

Sales Help

I work for a small distributor of software/video games and the latest Mexican/American titles. I've recently begun helping out with the sales aspect of it and have stage fright, cold feet just don't like making cold calls I guess. We're trying to tap into nontraditional markets for our product so I'm supposed to call on local chains to sell. I don't know what to say in the opening 30 seconds to grab their attention beyond introducing myself, company then what? Help.

Don Alm May 16, 2003 11:22 AM

Here's what I would say....

Call them on the PHONE and say....

"Hello....I'm with "Smith Distributing"...
we have software/video games and the latest Mexican/American Titles....which are REALLY HOT (put a little passion in your voice) right now and I think these would be of great interest to your customers.

I'd like to stop and show you our line. Would you have a few minutes this afternoon...or would tomorrow be better?

This afternoon! Fine! How about 2pm or would 3 be better?"

They ain't gonna bite you. Remember to put a SMILE on your face when making calls. Know that they are interested in what your product CAN DO FOR THEM!

You might want to write down all the REASONS WHY they should cary your product. The first one being...the product WILL MAKE THEM MONEY...because they've already been PROVEN TO SELL!

Once you get over your first 3 or 4 calls...the "butterflies" will subside and you'll gain confidence. ALL of "us salespeople" have ben there. You'll get thru the "stage-fright" stage and do OK.

Always remember...YOU HAVE SOMETHING THAT COULD BENEFIT THEM!

Don Alm

Some of my work from home programs.

Tony Johnson May 16, 2003 12:10 PM

Re: Sales Help

Software and video games are big business. The PS2 game, GTA Vice City, alone has made over $850,000,000. A smart business would want a piece of this action. Cold calling can be fun if you are prepared and if you have fun with it. I would collect a few bits of compelling data (i.e. my GTA story above) and when you call a business, fire a couple of those bullets during your presentation. Example:
Hi, this is Rick Dilsworth with XYZ. Is your business currently looking to increase sales and revenue (who is going to say no?)? I am setting up local business with a program that will allow them to offer our top-selling software and video game packages. As you may know, video games are a billion plus industry, and I would like to set you up with an offering that will easily add numbers to your bottom line. If you have 30-minutes this week, I would like to stop by and show you how we can put this offering in place.

Chances are you will have to talk to multiple people before finding the real decision maker, but if you have a good offering, I would think you will find plenty of interested parties.
On another note, you mentioned non-traditional vendors. I like this kind of thinking. Versus just going to a typical video game vendor (which you probably still want to do), I would think of what type of businesses attract the same "type" of market. When I think of software and games, I think of:
. Small local video stores
. Flee markets
. Consignment stores
. Children clothing and toy stores
. Stores specifically catering spanish speaking
citizens (i.e. grocery stores, etc.)

Just to name a few. Good luck and remember to make it fun! -Tony-

Maximum Effectiveness -The New Book by Anthony Johnson

Sandi Bowman May 16, 2003 03:09 PM

> I work for a small distributor of
> software/video games and the latest
> Mexican/American titles. I've recently begun
> helping out with the sales aspect of it and
> have stage fright, cold feet just don't like
> making cold calls I guess. We're trying to
> tap into nontraditional markets for our
> product so I'm supposed to call on local
> chains to sell. I don't know what to say in
> the opening 30 seconds to grab their
> attention beyond introducing myself, company
> then what? Help.

Hi, Rick,

Don has given you some good advice if you hate cold calling. That way you work by 'invitaion' ad it is friendlier. Incidentally, you should make sure you're speaking to the right person (or his secretary if she can set appointments for him) otherwise you're wasting your time.

If you want to really learn how to cold call, be a pro and do it like they do. You don't go in and give your spiel to the first person who looks at you with curiosity.

You research the company so you have the name of the person you need to talk to. If you don't have a name, phone and ask the receptionist 'who handle vendors'. Get a name then...

When you cold call, you approach the receptionist or secretary, hand her your business card, and announce "Mr so and so to see Mr. so and so." then politely glance around the room to break eye contact. Usually at this point the receptionist will excuse herself and get Mr. so and so. If she asks what it's about, have a prepared, brief, one sentence statement that is ambiguous enough to satisfy her curiosity and not give away the farm.

If she comes back and makes some excuse like he's in a meeting or he can't see anyone now or he's not here, you reply "When would be the best time, (or day depending on what she says) to see him?"
Note the info and thank her kindly for her service. Leave. Contact again when advised or phone for an appointment.

Cold calling is only scarey until you get some practice, and your first sale, behind you then it becomes a pleasure as you learn to respond to different situations. Fear of cold calling is basically a fear of the unknown. The only way to make the unknown, known, is to face it.

Don't practice on your prime accounts. Start smaller and build up your confidence first. Good luck!

Sandi Bowman

Michael Ross (Qld, Aust) May 17, 2003 06:33 AM

KISS

Too much sales is all about manipulation. And asking rhetorical questions - questions which would only have a "yes" as an answer. (See some of the other answers in this thread for good examples.)

I cannot think of a salesman who I haven't been able to spot on the phone within the first three seconds.

Sometimes all it takes is them to say, "Hi, how are you?"

Fact is, normal people do NOT say that as the first thing out of their mouth. Normal people do not use your name every sentence either.

For me it's all about getting to the point quickly.

"This is Joe Blogs with XYZ co. We distribute the latest international and American-made computer games. Is that something you want to stock in your store?"

(Notice no "Hi" or "my name is".)

Yes or no answer. Goes against all the so-called sales training. But all the so-called sales training is manipulative.

You want to ask them a question that has them tell you they want what you are offering - see the above example.

Asking someone if they are "interested" is time wasting. Interest doesn't pay the bills. Interest will eat all your time.

Why be manipulative to get an appointment. Only bother with appointments with people who want what you offer.

Using the above technique is easy and low stress because there is no manipulation. Try it. You will like it.

If they say "no", thank them for their time and move on to the next call. But call them back again next month - just as polite and straight forward.

Jacques Werth has a good cold calling and getting rid of the fear article here:
http://www.highprobabilityselling.com/html/fear_of_rejection.html

He also has an interesting article on "interest" here:
http://www.highprobabilityselling.com/html/sales_prospects.html

And here is his article on closing sales:
http://www.highprobabilityselling.com/html/closing_sales_effortlessly.html

One thing you should ask you boss is why he is expecting you to do selling without training you.

Hope this helps.

Michael Ross

Steve MacLellan May 17, 2003 06:52 AM

> then what? Help.

You're approaching local chains (video outlets I assume) to stock your products for sale or rent? This is something they will make money on, right?

Forget about the telephone -- the car works much better.

Show them some of your titles. If you can't find the right person at the store to talk to, leave some information and come back later.

Last week I had to approach a niche market with an advertising opportunity. Out of the six businesses I approached, two of the owners were unavailable, but I closed on 3 out of four with an idea of a try before you buy approach.

Folks don't like to be sold to, but they like ideas they might benefit from. So... show them your idea.

Best Regards,
Steve MacLellan

homebusiness-websites.com

Martin Hopkins May 17, 2003 11:33 PM

Hi Rick,
You have received some excellent advice there from everyone who has replied so I wont cover that, but what I will say is this don’t take the no’s to heart,
learn to deal with no’s as NEXT and all the next (no’s) mean you are one step closer to yes.

If you are face to face with a no, thank them for their time and ask to leave your card or catalogue and leave, It’s not personal and don’t take it as such

Too many variables come into the no’s don’t brainwash yourself trying to analyse them get a few sales under your belt then reflect on those, what did I do different? (if anything)
Eventually you may spot a pattern and try to keep to it, it is daunting at first but the good news is, eventually you will begin to enjoy it,
it does get easier ;-)

Warmest Regards
Martin Hopkins

Tom May 18, 2003 09:54 AM

> then what? Help.

Rick,
You did not make it real clear whether you would be calling them on the phone first or going to see them face to face, but that doesn't matter really. If you call them on the phone try to set up an appointment to see them. Your call is to set up an appointment to see about the possibilities of your product helping them. Remember everyone answering the phone has one or two lines to get rid of people trying to sell them something so be ready to answer there objections like "I am not interested " "Do not have time", "Happy with what I have now" If you can be prepared to answer these, then most of the time the person doesn't have another objection and you can talk to them a little more. I would highly recommend role playing with someone before you actually make a call. Have them say these pat objections, answer them and get past the first one or two and the person on the other end is left without anything to come up with and you can then get an appointment.Always be polite and have a laid back manner. I always ask them if they have a minute or did I catch them at a bad time. This just shows respect for them, and most really appreciate this gesture. Here is how I would do it on the phone.
"Hello Mr. Smith this is Rick Smith with ABC software do you have an minute or did I catch you at a bad time?" Wait for his answer, If he say no this is ok then say "I am calling you in regard to setting up an appointment to talk with about how our software might help increase your store sales, ect(put your unique selling point here) and would be in your area about Tues, which would be better, morning about 10:30 or afternoon about 2." Remember they will have one or two pat answers to try to brush you off so be prepared to answer those and if you do that, usually they do not have any others and you might get an appointment.
You may say If they do not let me get an appointment on the phone I have hurt my chances to go by and call on them, not really. If you go by their place in a week they probably want even remember talking to you, nothing personal. Please feel free to contact me if I can help in any way.I can give all the free advice you want that may help.

'like

Drastically reduce travel time with the econo teleconference

Michael Ross (Qld, Aust) May 18, 2003 11:34 PM

This is a good example of the manipulation and time wasting I was talking about

> Rick,
> You did not make it real clear whether you
> would be calling them on the phone first or
> going to see them face to face, but that
> doesn't matter really. If you call them on
> the phone try to set up an appointment to
> see them. Your call is to set up an
> appointment to see about the possibilities
> of your product helping them.

Setting an appointment to go to see them to find out if they want your product is a waste of time.

A better use of your time is setting appointments with people who already want what you offer.

Remember
> everyone answering the phone has one or two
> lines to get rid of people trying to sell
> them something so be ready to answer there
> objections like "I am not interested
> " "Do not have time",
> "Happy with what I have now" If
> you can be prepared to answer these, then
> most of the time the person doesn't have
> another objection and you can talk to them a
> little more.

If you can be prepared for those answers it means you are beginning to use manipulation.

As a business owners I can tell you, the most annoyng thing about a telephone salesman is the manipulation they use. Take my answer for what it is and move on, is what I would like them to do. It shows they respect my answer.

99.999999% of them, though, will then ask another question... what if you could save $x... and so on.

Manipulative questions.

I would highly recommend role
> playing with someone before you actually
> make a call.

Good call. But not roll playing in how to be manipulative.

Have them say these pat
> objections, answer them and get past the
> first one or two and the person on the other
> end is left without anything to come up with
> and you can then get an appointment.

See. Manipulation to try to get past the objections.

Lets look at what you want to do... you want to set an appointment with someone to see if they want what you have. If they don't want it you have wasted your time and theirs. And, blown all possible sales because you wasted their time.

That's why it is important to find out if they want what you want BEFORE setting the appointment.

Always
> be polite and have a laid back manner.

Overcoming their objection to setting an appointment is not being polite.

Laid back? Neutral is better.

I
> always ask them if they have a minute or did
> I catch them at a bad time. This just shows
> respect for them, and most really appreciate
> this gesture.

Nope. It tells them you are a salesman.

As I said in my original post, I can spot them within three seconds. What you said is a dead give away, and would get the response from me of, "What are you selling?"

Here is how I would do it on
> the phone.
> "Hello Mr. Smith this is Rick Smith
> with ABC software do you have an minute or
> did I catch you at a bad time?"

My response: What are you selling?

Look. My time is important to me. I don't need to waste it more with silly questions about having time to speak. If I had no time to speak I would not have answered the phone, or would have told you right away to "hold the line."

Saying "Do you have a minute or two" wastes time.

Wait
> for his answer, If he say no this is ok

So if he says No or Yes, the result is the same... what follows below. (So asking it was a waste of time.)

then
> say "I am calling you in regard to
> setting up an appointment to talk with about
> how our software might help increase your
> store sales, ect(put your unique selling
> point here)

More manipulation in the making. If I say "not interested" your next question will be, "So, you're not interested in increasing sales?"

and would be in your area about
> Tues, which would be better, morning about
> 10:30 or afternoon about 2." Remember
> they will have one or two pat answers to try
> to brush you off so be prepared to answer
> those and if you do that, usually they do
> not have any others and you might get an
> appointment.

Why address them. If they are interested (they want what you are offering) they will tell you.

They tell you they are not interested because... ready... they do not want what you are selling!

So why waste time trying to talk someone who does not want your product, into wanting your product.

A better use of your time is to only spend time with people who want what you are selling.

> You may say If they do not let me get an
> appointment on the phone I have hurt my
> chances to go by and call on them, not
> really. If you go by their place in a week
> they probably want even remember talking to
> you, nothing personal.

Why go by and see them? They have already said they do not want what you have. Now you want to waste more time and drop by anyway.

This "trickery" is what gives salesmen a bad name. The manipulation is what causes such burn out - people do not feel good about it and it eats them.

Sell to people how you would like to be sold to. (I am yet to meet anyone who likes to have their time wasted and to be manipulated)

If you use the "This is Name with Business Name. We offer... features (not benefits). Is that something you want" technique, and then thank them for their time when they say "no" and hang up, they will more readily welcome your call next time because you don't try to manipulate them.

It also means you can call back in a month with a couple of different features.

Thus making maximu use of your time - instead of blowing it all on people who don't want what you are selling.

Michael Ross

Tom May 19, 2003 12:50 AM

Re: This is a good example of the manipulation and time wasting I was talking about

> Setting an appointment to go to see them to
> find out if they want your product is a
> waste of time.

> A better use of your time is setting
> appointments with people who already want
> what you offer.

> Remember

> If you can be prepared for those answers it
> means you are beginning to use manipulation.

> As a business owners I can tell you, the
> most annoyng thing about a telephone
> salesman is the manipulation they use. Take
> my answer for what it is and move on, is
> what I would like them to do. It shows they
> respect my answer.

> 99.999999% of them, though, will then ask
> another question... what if you could save
> $x... and so on.

> Manipulative questions.

> I would highly recommend role

> Good call. But not roll playing in how to be
> manipulative.

> Have them say these pat

> See. Manipulation to try to get past the
> objections.

> Lets look at what you want to do... you want
> to set an appointment with someone to see if
> they want what you have. If they don't want
> it you have wasted your time and theirs.
> And, blown all possible sales because you
> wasted their time.

> That's why it is important to find out if
> they want what you want BEFORE setting the
> appointment.

> Always

> Overcoming their objection to setting an
> appointment is not being polite.

> Laid back? Neutral is better.

> I

> Nope. It tells them you are a salesman.

> As I said in my original post, I can spot
> them within three seconds. What you said is
> a dead give away, and would get the response
> from me of, "What are you
> selling?"

> Here is how I would do it on

> My response: What are you selling?

> Look. My time is important to me. I don't
> need to waste it more with silly questions
> about having time to speak. If I had no time
> to speak I would not have answered the
> phone, or would have told you right away to
> "hold the line."

> Saying "Do you have a minute or
> two" wastes time.

> Wait

> So if he says No or Yes, the result is the
> same... what follows below. (So asking it
> was a waste of time.)

> then

> More manipulation in the making. If I say
> "not interested" your next
> question will be, "So, you're not
> interested in increasing sales?"

> and would be in your area about

> Why address them. If they are interested
> (they want what you are offering) they will
> tell you.

> They tell you they are not interested
> because... ready... they do not want what
> you are selling!

> So why waste time trying to talk someone who
> does not want your product, into wanting
> your product.

> A better use of your time is to only spend
> time with people who want what you are
> selling.

> Why go by and see them? They have already
> said they do not want what you have. Now you
> want to waste more time and drop by anyway.

> This "trickery" is what gives
> salesmen a bad name. The manipulation is
> what causes such burn out - people do not
> feel good about it and it eats them.

> Sell to people how you would like to be sold
> to. (I am yet to meet anyone who likes to
> have their time wasted and to be
> manipulated)

> If you use the "This is Name with
> Business Name. We offer... features (not
> benefits). Is that something you want"
> technique, and then thank them for their
> time when they say "no" and hang
> up, they will more readily welcome your call
> next time because you don't try to
> manipulate them.

> It also means you can call back in a month
> with a couple of different features.

> Thus making maximu use of your time -
> instead of blowing it all on people who
> don't want what you are selling.

> Michael Ross

Michael,
Boy did you let me have it.Well you certainly have your right to disagree and I respect that but I have to say if telling someone who you are, the company you are with and what your product or service can do for them is manipulative and also being polite to ask them if they have a minute or if this is a bad time is manipultive then I have to disagree. I have used that line for 25 years and never had anyone be hateful to me about that . I have stated on the front end who I am, the company I am with and would like to set an appointment with them. I have stated what my product's unique features are and if they wish to talk more they will let me know.They will know what the appointment is about.
If they do not want an appointment, thank them for their time and move on. I have stated to them whatI have and if they are interested they will give me an appointment at a time convenient for them.I have been up front with them and they know who I am,with, and why I called.Also I thought I was a salesman that is certainly nothing to be ashamed of. I have been one for 25 years and I can say without any fear of contradiction no one as ever said I manipulated them by providing my service or product, in fact they thanked me for it.
Tom

http://www.anytimeconferencing.com