SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What do you do to look after your health? (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9205)

Dien Rice June 7, 2015 08:20 PM

What do you do to look after your health?

Health is a big issue for many entrepreneurs...

For example, we were recently talking about Joe Karbo. What wasn't mentioned was that Joe died of a heart attack at the relatively young age of 55, when he was being interviewed by a TV news program (in a hostile way, I believe)...

I've had to look after myself much better in recent years, after being diagnosed with diabetes. (I managed to lose around 50 lbs! Though unfortunately, over the last year or so I've gained about 10 lbs of it back...)

So, I thought I'd ask... What do you do to look after your health?

Best wishes,

Dien

GordonJ June 8, 2015 12:05 AM

Re: What do you do to look after your health?

Of course, genetics plays an even greater role.

But it is simple if you didn't inherit too many unhealthy genes...

Diet, Exercise and a calm spirit.

Simple? Yes, EASY? Oh hecks NO.

Outside of genetic predisposition, 90% (estimated) of health problems due to bad habits.

Heart attacks can be brought on by stress, it is a Hollywood cliche to have some guy clutch his heart and drop dead during a rant, an overheated yelling match.

Calm people have to call 911 (in the movies).

But even then, you can only do what you can do...Jim Fixx dropped dead and he was considered to be the picture of health, a renown runner who wrote best selling books on health.

But science proves that for most of us, a healthy lifestyle of a low body mass index, routine exercise and time to let the body heal or recover are some sure ways to get to the best health you can.

But damn food, is just so yummy. And TV more fun than exercise. And yelling and being all angry well, that's just some people's way.

Gordon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 35372)

For example, we were recently talking about Joe Karbo. What wasn't mentioned was that Joe died of a heart attack at the relatively young age of 55, when he was being interviewed by a TV news program (in a hostile way, I believe)...

I've had to look after myself much better in recent years, after being diagnosed with diabetes. (I managed to lose around 50 lbs! Though unfortunately, over the last year or so I've gained about 10 lbs of it back...)

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 35372)

Best wishes,

Dien

Steve MacLellan June 8, 2015 12:33 PM

Look to the Environment....

The rate at which people get cancer is alarming. In 1900, 1 out 20 people would get cancer. By 1940, it was 1 out of 16 -- and over the years, more and more people are getting it until today, where there is 1 out of every 3 people developing cancer in some form or another. 'Cept in certain areas of Nova Scotia and Newfoundland it's close to one out of every two. I'm sure diet and exercise play a big part of it, but we're also poisoning the environment. An article in the CTV news today said:

" Sugar substitutes -- such as Splenda and Sweet'N Low -- are designed to be eaten, but not absorbed by the body. Because our bodies cannot break them down, sweeteners go straight through humans.

That's how consumers get the sweet taste without the weight gain often associated with sugar-laden foods."

Sewer treatment plants are not equipped to handle things like this, and they get flushed through into the environment and can damage aquatic life. Here in Nova Scotia, that means they are eventually flushed in to the Bay.

Then they take the biosolids from the Waste Water Treatment Plant, run it through a process that eliminates some of the heavy metals, mix it wil cement kiln dust, reclassify it as fertilizer, and then sell it to the farms for one-quarter the cost of real fertilizer. They only test for a handful of heavy metals and chemicals but there are at least 21 known carcinogens, 30 heavy metals, flame retardants, steroids, hormones and so on, all adding up to around 60,000 chemical substances and pollutants.

My, doesn't that sound yummy?!!

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that a lot of health issues today are directly or even indirectly related to a toxic environment. I jumped on this band wagon in 2013, and put up a website for it a few months ago. Me, and the groups I'm associated with have had one victory so far with a minor setback. Instead of releasing fracking wastewater into the Bay of Fundy, they now process through the LarFarge cement plant. As previously mentioned, it gets mixed with biosolids and sold to farmers as fertilizer -- it certainly diminishes the quality of the "win".

I do this in my spare time. You can see what I've done here: savethebayoffundy.ca -- nothing to buy on the website -- it's just articles and information.

Regards,
Steve MacLellan

GordonJ June 8, 2015 01:02 PM

Great observation Steve...

I agree 110% with you.

Protecting ourselves from ourselves will be the challenge in the very near future.

We set up the EPA to protect the environment, but it has no will, no teeth and appears, by many, to be a bought and sold agency like the FDA has become.

It is only a matter of time (not much of it) until the Earth has been damaged beyond repair, if it hasn't already.

Have we reached the tipping point/critical mass with population?

Have our bodies been so damaged by prescription drugs, like antibiotics, that we are now susceptible to new strains of bird flu, mers, sars and whatever latent killers are being dug up from the depths of the earth?

I applaud you Steve for taking action and getting involved.

We are our only hope, and it is David vs Goliath warfare.

I don't hold out much hope for mankind. Perhaps the cave dwelling survivalists will repopulate the earth with a more concerned species, however mutant they may become.

Gordon

PS 15,000+ ships and boats DAILY flush their toilets and throw their trash and garbage into our oceans.

Never mind radiation leaks from the 8 nuclear powered sunken boats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve MacLellan (Post 35379)
The rate at which people get cancer is alarming. In 1900, 1 out 20 people would get cancer. By 1940, it was 1 out of 16 -- and over the years, more and more people are getting it until today, where there is 1 out of every 3 people developing cancer in some form or another. 'Cept in certain areas of Nova Scotia and Newfoundland it's close to one out of every two. I'm sure diet and exercise play a big part of it, but we're also poisoning the environment. An article in the CTV news today said:

" Sugar substitutes -- such as Splenda and Sweet'N Low -- are designed to be eaten, but not absorbed by the body. Because our bodies cannot break them down, sweeteners go straight through humans.

That's how consumers get the sweet taste without the weight gain often associated with sugar-laden foods."

Sewer treatment plants are not equipped to handle things like this, and they get flushed through into the environment and can damage aquatic life. Here in Nova Scotia, that means they are eventually flushed in to the Bay.

Then they take the biosolids from the Waste Water Treatment Plant, run it through a process that eliminates some of the heavy metals, mix it wil cement kiln dust, reclassify it as fertilizer, and then sell it to the farms for one-quarter the cost of real fertilizer. They only test for a handful of heavy metals and chemicals but there are at least 21 known carcinogens, 30 heavy metals, flame retardants, steroids, hormones and so on, all adding up to around 60,000 chemical substances and pollutants.

My, doesn't that sound yummy?!!

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that a lot of health issues today are directly or even indirectly related to a toxic environment. I jumped on this band wagon in 2013, and put up a website for it a few months ago. Me, and the groups I'm associated with have had one victory so far with a minor setback. Instead of releasing fracking wastewater into the Bay of Fundy, they now process through the LarFarge cement plant. As previously mentioned, it gets mixed with biosolids and sold to farmers as fertilizer -- it certainly diminishes the quality of the "win".

I do this in my spare time. You can see what I've done here: savethebayoffundy.ca -- nothing to buy on the website -- it's just articles and information.

Regards,
Steve MacLellan

Steve MacLellan June 8, 2015 01:07 PM

There is some good news that came through today:

G7 leaders agree to phase out fossil fuel use by end of century
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ampaign=buffer

Might not be in time to save some places like Texas and California, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Regards,
Steve

spyglass June 9, 2015 05:21 AM

Interesting question.

Thankfully I do not suffer from any chronic diseases, however diabetes is my family's health nemesis, with my grandmother dying from complications of type 1 diabetes and my three surviving uncles having type two diabetes. My mother and youngest uncle passed away, not from diabetes though. It reached my branch of the family tree with one of my first cousins being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes several years ago. He being one of the youngest first cousins and me being the eldest male cousin, this has been uncomfortable news for me ever since. He's always been chubby from childhood. Although he went through a bulking up phase, going to the gym to lift weights twice a day at one point, which lasted about a year and a half and his weight came back after he got a job with the post office over twenty years ago.

I saw him for the first time in over a year at a party another first cousin gave his daughter for graduating from college. He looked the best I have seen him in years. He has lost weight and toned up through weight lifting (I suspect). Still more weight to lose, but he has come a long way, him knowing he has to get his two sons through school and college after a divorce a few years ago. He happily reported his diabetes is under control for the most part.

Not being a person who waits for the barn to catch fire before I decide it needs water thrown on it, this is the second week of my 5:2 fasting diet.
By 5:2, I mean that I eat regularly five days of the week and fast on two separate days. There is a growing body of credible research supporting the benefits of intermittent fasting. Weight loss is the main motivation for most on this diet, but I am experimenting with it for the other benefits it seems to provide. Studies indicates it normalizes blood glucose levels, promotes cellular repair, normalizes blood pressure, disposes of bio waste and can even over time support higher brain function.

Some weight loss will happen for sure, but to minimize muscle loss, I am starting a muscle resistance exercise program to encourage muscle tone while unhealthy fat dissolves away. The fast is actually 36 hours long because research supports the belief that it takes twelve hours of fasting before the body goes into "healing" mode. The intention being for the body to be in healing mode a full twenty four hours twice weekly. Fortunately, this fast is not a total one. For men, up to 600 calories can be consumed. For women, 500 calories. No cane sugar, pasta or anything else that raises blood sugar is allowed. As well as anything with high levels of "bad" fats are allowed. Protein is encouraged to be part of the food consumed because it makes one feel full the best over other foods. But if say chicken is eaten, it should be skinless and grilled or baked. With careful planning, you may be surprised how much tasty food one can eat within a 500 - 600 calorie limit. Black coffee and tea, both with no sugar can be consumed in any amount. Of course drinking plenty of water to avoid dehydration is highly encouraged. I got a slight headache towards the end of my fist fast because I had not drunk enough water. Lesson learned.

It appears we are only allotted so many cell divisions over our lifetimes. Just how many cell divisions an individual is allotted I suspect depends on our genetic inheritance. Because we (first world dwellers at least) have become nations of in between meal snack eaters, the body remains so busy with matters of digestion, it has no time to devote to cell repair and is forced to divide the cells, depleting our cell bank account. Apparently by fasting long enough, we give our bodies the time to go into healing mode, saving cell divisions through more cell repair as well as conducting other beneficial processes the body normally cannot start and complete because of our constant food stuffing.

I decided to experiment with this diet after viewing a documentary on the science and studies indicating the benefits of intermittent fasting. The English PhD medical researcher, Michael Mosely leads the documentary and he is the author of a run away best seller book on the subject. The doc features a lot on research conducted in the US as well in the UK on fasting and related matters. Viewing this documentary convinced me to start my diet.

It can be viewed via this link: http://tinyurl.com/d45585v

It is 59 minutes long and very interesting.

I have been using the word "experiment" because it is one. I am committed to doing this diet for the entire thirteen weeks of the summer months, June, July and August. Then in September to get a complete physical. My blood test results will determine if I continue on it as a way of life. It appears once the body has reached an optimum level of healthy effects per this diet and how long it takes to get to this level depends on where one was/is health and weight wise when started, you can even let one day go and maintain the results with fasting only once weekly.