SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pay-per-minute cafes are popular overseas... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10182)

Dien Rice July 14, 2018 09:30 PM

Pay-per-minute cafes are popular overseas...

These are becoming popular in Europe and the UK... I'm sure it's just a matter of time before someone tries it in the USA...

Could it be you?

The concept is this. People can come to your cafe. Food and beverages are all free! The catch?

You pay per minute.

It makes for a "freer" environment... No cafe staff "hovering" over you, wondering if you'll move after you've finished, to make way for others to come in. They don't care, because if you're there, you're paying.

But... that also makes for a more relaxing time for the patrons. They don't have to worry if they're "unwelcome" if they're there working on their laptop, or having a meeting, or chilling with friends. They can take as little or as much time as they like!

And yes... these cafes are profitable!

In the UK, customers pay around £4.80 an hour - that works out to $6.35 an hour at current exchange rates. Or a little over 10 cents a minute. In the USA, you'd have to adjust the prices according to the city (due to costs)... higher in San Francisco, less need for higher prices in Omaha...

There are no hot meals, but have the usual cafe selection of hot beverages, juice, cakes, cookies, toast, etc.

Sounds like a great idea to me! :)

Pay-per-minute cafe Ziferblat offering unlimited free food and drink is coming to Birmingham
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/wha...rblat-14896165

Best wishes,

Dien

GordonJ July 15, 2018 10:40 AM

This would be fun to try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 39228)
These are becoming popular in Europe and the UK... I'm sure it's just a matter of time before someone tries it in the USA...

Could it be you?

The concept is this. People can come to your cafe. Food and beverages are all free! The catch?

You pay per minute.

It makes for a "freer" environment... No cafe staff "hovering" over you, wondering if you'll move after you've finished, to make way for others to come in. They don't care, because if you're there, you're paying.

But... that also makes for a more relaxing time for the patrons. They don't have to worry if they're "unwelcome" if they're there working on their laptop, or having a meeting, or chilling with friends. They can take as little or as much time as they like!

And yes... these cafes are profitable!

In the UK, customers pay around £4.80 an hour - that works out to $6.35 an hour at current exchange rates. Or a little over 10 cents a minute. In the USA, you'd have to adjust the prices according to the city (due to costs)... higher in San Francisco, less need for higher prices in Omaha...

There are no hot meals, but have the usual cafe selection of hot beverages, juice, cakes, cookies, toast, etc.

Sounds like a great idea to me! :)

Pay-per-minute cafe Ziferblat offering unlimited free food and drink is coming to Birmingham
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/wha...rblat-14896165

Best wishes,

Dien

I have a perfect location, just need someone to do it. I can see the little parking lot ticket dispenser when you walk in the door, and a simple checkout, and your total rings up. Like a Panera, you have places where they take their dishes and trash. Very little staff. HMMMMMMMMM.

Would they come in for 5 mins, fill up their backpacks and head across the street to the library? I guess you nip that in the bud first thing.

The library gives you 2 hours on their computers, but if you bring your own, just sign on. So, would 10 bux an hour work, or 20 bux for a typical 2 hour session?

Keep us posted on this.

Gordon

Dien Rice July 16, 2018 11:12 AM

I'll try to find out more...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 39230)
I have a perfect location, just need someone to do it. I can see the little parking lot ticket dispenser when you walk in the door, and a simple checkout, and your total rings up. Like a Panera, you have places where they take their dishes and trash. Very little staff. HMMMMMMMMM.

Would they come in for 5 mins, fill up their backpacks and head across the street to the library? I guess you nip that in the bud first thing.

The library gives you 2 hours on their computers, but if you bring your own, just sign on. So, would 10 bux an hour work, or 20 bux for a typical 2 hour session?

Keep us posted on this.

Hi Gordon,

From what I've read, these places have all kinds. Some pay for 2 minutes just to use the bathroom. Others hang out there for several hours. It probably all evens out in the end!

I think you'd need the right location, with the right kind of crowd... Maybe a mix of business-y types (who want to have meetings there), laptop warriors working on their stuff, plus students (who might want to study there)?

I'll try to find out more... :)

Best wishes,

Dien