SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How To Make Your Own Luck! (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4624)

Robert Burns December 31, 2007 01:23 PM

Re: How To Make Your Own Luck!
 
Years ago I read a book called HOW TO CREATE YOUR OWN LUCK by Albert Z. Carr. It was quite interesting, and I later called his widow to ask about him.

His wife told me that he had been advisor to 5 U.S. Presidents, and had written that book as a "pot-boiler", but his true interest was History, which he had seriously studied.

His book very logically spoke of the many factors that allow a person to "position" themselves to be able to place themselves in the path of "luck".

Among those factors was creating a large network of friends and aquaintances, being on good terms with people in general, dealing realisticly with the facts of any situation, etc. Very practical book.

Ankesh January 1, 2008 02:45 PM

Re: How To Make Your Own Luck!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Burns (Post 18170)
Years ago I read a book called HOW TO CREATE YOUR OWN LUCK by Albert Z. Carr. It was quite interesting, and I later called his widow to ask about him.

His wife told me that he had been advisor to 5 U.S. Presidents, and had written that book as a "pot-boiler", but his true interest was History, which he had seriously studied.

His book very logically spoke of the many factors that allow a person to "position" themselves to be able to place themselves in the path of "luck".

Among those factors was creating a large network of friends and aquaintances, being on good terms with people in general, dealing realisticly with the facts of any situation, etc. Very practical book.


That is an excellent point Robert.

I used to write one thank you letter per day. It was the best most cost effective marketing strategy I used to promote myself. Landed free workshop invitations, joint ventures, one ebook partnership, a handful of affiliate partners and a lot more business.

Somewhere I stopped writing thank you letters everyday (but I still write a couple every week) - but its my New Years resolution to start again.

My New Year's Thank You Gift to You:
http://www.blogclout.com/easywaytogrowrich.pdf

Garth January 2, 2008 07:38 PM

How To Set Your Lucky Alarm To Sound Off In 2008
 
Thanks Dien for the topic
here's a little jig so you don't stop it...

-----------

"There was an young wife from Aussie
she always played the lottery

if bad fortune stuck
she simply paid the clown a buck

That lucky young wife from Aussie"


I thought i'd use a poem to suggest some things.

First, here i;m going to need the help of Bill Clinton

Luck depends on what the meaning of 'is' is as in What Is Luck?
Fo our Aussie wife she simply had to buy a lotto ticket in order
to feel lucky again.

Some of us make this feeling lucky thing a lot harder than it should be, don't ya think?

Afterall doesn't it really come down to... if you are breathing you're lucky if you ain't you ain't

But lucky is just an important tool for marketing people because it's just an attention getter.

Here's a story about the Lucky Alarm:


An enterprising grocer found a way to bring in plenty of new business to his store.

He had a huge alarm clock in the center of the store with its face covered.

The alarm clock was set for a certain hour.

When it went off, the customers in the store at that time didn't have to pay for the groceries being purchased at the moment.

Housewives soon took their business to the store with the lucky alarm clock.

Curious and hopeful, they prolong their shopping!

Smart bet this idea isn't restricted to grocery stores alone.

Here's what you might need to do online...


1)Each day starting the 12 days of Christmasl randomly select a time by hour and minutes using the Random.Org generator

2) The person who bought a book from you, made a blog comment or whatever that is closest to the randomly selected time will receive a free Christmas gift of some kind

Ok, so go out with this info and set that Lucky Alarm to go off in 2008, ok?

Garth
P.S. I hope you liked my thoughts and consider it New Year's gift from me to you but just in case not I'll add what I thought were some the best links I think you ought to know about or revisit in 2008:

A Word Lab For The Ad Man or Woman

They Pay Thousands To Use These Words So You Elect Presidents Surely We Can Snipe Them To Sell Soap

Border Patrol Fitness Program Gets You In Shape For 2008 (This opens in pdf)

Richard Dennis January 4, 2008 02:36 AM

Re: How To Make Your Own Luck!
 
Robert,

Funny - Lucky? - Who knows?

I was just mentioning Carr's book to a friend recently. I read it about 30 years ago, and it was certainly one of the most memorable books I've ever read.

As I recall ... I'm 30 years older, remember? ... Carr talked about the magical spiderweb you create when you systematically reach out to others over a period of time, and how THAT is responsible for luck. In his studies, those who experienced luck almost always had a bigger spiderweb than those who experienced "unluck."

The more people you know and connect with in a supportive manner - like in SOWPUB - the better the chance you'll find out about good stuff that others who don't build that spiderweb will never be privy to. Carr said that luck is purely a result of benefitting from the news, opportunities, etc., carried by that bigger network which you created.

Anyway, once I read Carr's book, the mystery of luck was gone for me. Simple explanation, and anyone can actually set out to create a lifetime of good luck.

Richard Dennis

Unregistered January 10, 2008 07:27 PM

Re: How To Make Your Own Luck!
 
Dear Ankesh,

Thanks for the New Years Gift.

I write a Thank You Newsletter almost every day. Full of proven, tested, munny making ideas FROM small biz owners TO OTHER small Biz Owners.

So I Happily Endorse your Success Strategy.

I got MY Thank You Note idea from an insurance sales manager. Using Thank You Notes alone - he more than DOUBLED sales in 3 new england states. 300 million smackers.

Glenn Osborn

My New Year's Thank You Gift to You:
http://www.blogclout.com/easywaytogrowrich.pdf[/quote]

Dien Rice January 10, 2008 08:20 PM

Thanks Ankesh... Great advice and great free report!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ankesh (Post 18180)
I used to write one thank you letter per day. It was the best most cost effective marketing strategy I used to promote myself. Landed free workshop invitations, joint ventures, one ebook partnership, a handful of affiliate partners and a lot more business.

Somewhere I stopped writing thank you letters everyday (but I still write a couple every week) - but its my New Years resolution to start again.

My New Year's Thank You Gift to You:
http://www.blogclout.com/easywaytogrowrich.pdf


Hi Ankesh...

That's a great report! Thanks!

I also love your approach of writing one thank you letter a day... Thank you for sharing it!

Who doesn't like being thanked? :)

It's very smart...!

Cheers,

Dien

Dien Rice December 22, 2011 07:53 PM

Re: How To Make Your Own Luck!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dennis (Post 18201)
Robert,

Funny - Lucky? - Who knows?

I was just mentioning Carr's book to a friend recently. I read it about 30 years ago, and it was certainly one of the most memorable books I've ever read.

As I recall ... I'm 30 years older, remember? ... Carr talked about the magical spiderweb you create when you systematically reach out to others over a period of time, and how THAT is responsible for luck. In his studies, those who experienced luck almost always had a bigger spiderweb than those who experienced "unluck."

The more people you know and connect with in a supportive manner - like in SOWPUB - the better the chance you'll find out about good stuff that others who don't build that spiderweb will never be privy to. Carr said that luck is purely a result of benefitting from the news, opportunities, etc., carried by that bigger network which you created.

Anyway, once I read Carr's book, the mystery of luck was gone for me. Simple explanation, and anyone can actually set out to create a lifetime of good luck.

Thanks Robert and Richard,

That's a great point! (And it's quite different from what Richard Wiseman says, so it adds to it a lot...)

Definitely, the bigger your circle of friends and acquaintances, the more "lucky" you'll get.

Why? Through those people, will come many opportunities... Whether they are job opportunities, business opportunities, opportunities to get "good deals" on stuff... and so on!

One book I've read which really hits the point home is "Never Eat Alone" by Keith Ferrazzi. He effectively built his whole career on his wide network of friends and acquaintances...

He means the title of the book literally. Whenever he eats a meal, he tries to organize eating with someone he hasn't seen for a while, to keep up his contacts and acquaintances.

Also, he likes to hold big parties - as it's a good way to "keep in touch" with a lot of people, all in the space of a few short hours...

Of course, Christmas cards and birthday cards are also a fantastic way to keep in touch, too.

Best wishes,

Dien


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.