SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Phone Book Geared Toward Gay Community (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4096)

Tim Thach June 19, 2007 06:05 PM

New Phone Book Geared Toward Gay Community

In Salt Lake City of all places!

Here’s the link for the news article: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=1366172

I wanted to bring out a couple of points and a couple of questions.

1. He has handed out over 25,000 copies of his “Gay Pages.”

Do you think that those who accepted the directories yet have no personal involvement in the transgender/gay/lesbian lifestyle or community will make use of the directories?

Does it matter as long as the circulation is there?

2. This man handed them out, door to door, face to face.

If these were distributed by the usual means, circulation would be increased. But increased circulation does not ensure use. Do you think that local businesses really care about whether the directories are used? After all, this publication helps you reach out to a community that has suffered great social injustices. It will show you care!

Here's a quote from the news article from one business that purchased ad space in the directory: "We don't discriminate against anybody. We're gay friendly here."

Are there other underserved (real or imagined) communities which could be served in this fashion?

The Gray Pages (larger print and ads for the sight impaired)
The Hang-Ten Pages for surfers (special typesetting, exclusive ads)
The Rocking Horse Express (for day-care facilities)

Businesses are willing to pay to be listed in more than one telephone directory.

How about this:

The Green Pages
A directory of local businesses which promote “Earth Friendly” policies and procedures. Printed on recycled paper of course!

MichaelRoss June 20, 2007 04:59 AM

Re: New Phone Book Geared Toward Gay Community

Tim,

Thanks for mentioning this.

Just another example of Reverse Discrimination and Double Standards from the Same Sex Fetishists.

Imagine the Homo Outrage if there was a Hetero Friendly Pages.

I wonder if there will be a Stocking Lovers Pages for those with Stocking fetishes. And then businesses can say how they are Stocking Fetishist Friendly.

Maybe a Stiletto pages. Or a White People Pages. Or a Conservatives Pages. Or Christian pages. Or English Speaking pages where advertisers can say they are friendly towards those who speak English. Maybe we can have a Man Pages. Or a Global Warming Is A Crock pages. An "I hate hairy legged sandal wearing lentil eating tree huggers" pages. (roll eyes)

Just another way the same sex fetishists choose to separate themselves, then make a big deal about the separation they chose.

Michael Ross

Phil June 20, 2007 05:34 PM

Thanks Tim,

Just give your new Guide/Directory a Rosie “twist” for a nice shot of Free Publicity... :)

http://news.google.ca/news?ie=UTF-8&...nG=Search+News

Kidding aside...

There are Unlimited niche directory Opportunities just waiting to hit the streets...

Local online keeps on Growing But Consumers still Love to touch and feel things Offline and in hardcopy... ;)

Here are a couple Great Money making ideas that can be Applied to any Niche & Location...

http://www.citypetguide.com/
http://www.citypetguide.com/index.php?link=ad

http://www.justlookitup.com/

Phil

Bill June 21, 2007 02:52 AM

I thought it was interesting that not one of the yellow pages left in our apartment buildings foyer this year was brought taken in by me or my neighbors. Not one.

Cynthia June 23, 2007 09:28 PM

Michael,

Quote:

Just another way the same sex fetishists choose to separate themselves, then make a big deal about the separation they chose.

As a minority woman I understand perfectly the reason for a gay guide. Would you want to go into a business & have them making gay jokes if you were gay? Or how about if you're black, walking into a barber shop that says they don't cut black people's hair? Or going to a function where everyone is talking about Jesus & you're Jewish? I want to patronize businesses that respect me, not tolerate me.

Just My Opinion,
Cynthia

MichaelRoss June 23, 2007 11:04 PM

Cynthia,

Thanks for your comments.

*I* do NOT do business with anyone that makes it a point to tell me their religion or sexual preferences. If an ad has a Xian Fish Symbol than I will avoid them. If someone feels they need to tell me of their homosexuality then we won't do business - or after the current transaction is complete we won't do business any more.

It isn't that I have anything against people of a certain religion or sexual preference (although, those in NAMBLA need a bullet), it's the Act of Telling me. I don't need to know, yet, it is forced onto me.

The hair of African-Ancestry people is different to that of European and Asian ancestry, so I can understand knowing in advance if a hair cutter does your type of hair. But such knowledge isn't needed to be published in an African-Ancestry-Only publication. Just as other Normal YP ads mention the Niche services they offer, Hair Salons can and do the same.

Yeshua ben Yosef was Jewish. So there is no difference there. I fail to see your point in that regard. And even if I was of a different religion - I am anti-religion so *I* am certainly of a different religion all the time - that doesn't mean I need a book of ads to show me which other people are also of a certain religion or non religion. Heck, I'll chat with anyone about their religion - even Scientologists, Moonies and other whackjobs.

Jokes? Who cares about Jokes? Not that I can ever recall being in a business when Jokes were made about anything. But Jokes in general. People need to lighten up overall. Gay friendly dry cleaners? Give me a break. They are segregating themselves. And the only thing such a directory would do for me is, let me know which businesses NOT to give me business to.

Just like my Xian example... if you feel the need to tell me when it isn't warranted, then you lose my business.

Remember, the moment you mention one Group you isolate all other groups. So, you're gay friendly. Does that mean you're not friendly to hetero people? See what happens?

If these Groups want to stop being treated differently, they need to stop expecting different treatment, or treating themselves differently. And it needs to start on the individual level.

Greeks need to pull their heads in and allow their sons/daughters to get with others who are not "nice Greek boys/girls". And so and so forth through all ethnicities and ancestries. If people don't segregate themselves and make a fuss about it, there is no segregation.

This won't ever happen because there are vested interests (Lobby groups and so on) that makes too much money out of keeping segregation happening.

Want to end segregation? Stop labeling yourselves. Asian American, African American, Homsexual, Gay, Lesbian, blah blah. You are first and foremost a Person. Maybe you are an American. If so, that is all you are. Not a Sub-Label-American.

Of course, as you can see, without such labels you cannot then call yourself (generic you) a minority group of any variety and Claim Special Rights. And you'd be forced to be like everyone else who doesn't have Special Rights, and get by on your own.

In one of the States in Australia, an old census saw only 600 people refer to themselves as Indiginous (Aboriginal). The lefty govt then gave them Sit Down Money, as they call it. The following census saw 16,000 people in that state call themselves Indiginous. The only thing that chaged was, it was now profitable to be Indiginous - to be a certain label - as money was taken from productive people and Given to unproductive people to encourage them to continue to be unproductive.

Look how you started your reply... "As a minority..." YOU are labeling yourself.

Want to know something? I live in Australia. Was even born here. But I do not consider myself "Australian". I consider myself a Person who happens to live in Australia. And if I TRY I can certainly find a way to claim myself to be of some Minority or another - having Mixed Ancestry. But I Choose NOT to do that. I do not play the religion, race, or sexuality card and claim to be hard done by because of those things.

Will people prefer to employ one type of person over another? Sure they will. Just as there are those who won't prefer a Type of person and only care whether the job can be done. And there are also those who will employ the other person instead. The door swings both ways.

Read my post. Though there is Tongue in Cheek within it, it is stating something we all know and see. That while it is deemed OK for a Gay Friendly Directory, there would be OUTRAGE if there was a Hetero Friendly Directory or any Directory aimed at the Majority - as determined by the non-existence of some group claiming minority status and special rights because of it.

Look. If you want to advertize in a Vieny Hands Fetishist Friendly Directory, then be my guest. I don't care. But I will ark up when advertising in an "Anti Vieny Hands" Directory is banned.

E.g. We can have a Same Sex Fetishist Directory (lets call it what it is, ok, and not sugar coat it with different words) and that's ok. Then, we should also be allowed to have a HeteroSexual Friendly Directory. I have no objection to a Brown-Skinned-People-Friendly directory as long as I can also have a Cream-Skinned-People-Friendly directory. But we both know, that just ain't gonna happen, is it.

Without a label you are just a person like everyone else. Then you are forced to have Individual Rights. But suich rights Clash with the Claims made by people who label themselves and want special rights, don't they?

Michael Ross

Cynthia June 23, 2007 11:52 PM

Michael,

I understand your point, however I live in the United States (Los Angeles to be exact) and labels are as American as apple pie. Every Government form requires you identify yourself with them, as well as many other types of businesses (including all schools).
Quote:

Look how you started your reply... "As a minority..." YOU are labeling yourself.
I AM a minority as my race is not the majority in this country. BTW, I do not take "special priveleges" as I see no need for it.

Quote:

Remember, the moment you mention one Group you isolate all other groups. So, you're gay friendly. Does that mean you're not friendly to hetero people? See what happens?
I disagree. You stated very clearly that you would not do business with gays. To me it just means that they don't discriminate & welcome all customers.

Quote:

Want to end segregation? Stop labeling yourselves. Asian American, African American, Homsexual, Gay, Lesbian, blah blah.
As simple & idealistic as that sounds, it'll never happen. Segregation, racism, sexism - all the isms as a matter of fact are human nature. It's been going on since man began. Thousands of years and man still can't get it right.:(

Respectfully,
Cynthia

MichaelRoss June 24, 2007 04:41 AM

Cynthia,

Thanks for adding some more.

I said I would Not do business with a Same Sex Fetishist who went out of the way to tell me they were a Same Sex Fetishist. And there is a difference between that and not doing business with Same Sex Fetishists in general.

I have done plenty of repeat business with Same Sex Fetishists. And those were the ones who didn't feel a need to tell me of their fetish. But if I am told before hand - or even during the business transaction - then I will not do business and any business started will be the last.

E.g. I did some multiple business transactions with a woman whom I "just knew" was a Same Sex Fetishist. During the fourth transaction she told me she was a Lesbian and asked if I had a problem doing business with a lesbian. I said "no", we finished our business and the next time she call I told her I was not in that line of business any more.

The only difference was... she went out of her way to tell me she was a Same Sex Fetishist and I did not need to know.

I've done plenty of business with Jews and Muslims - and repeat business too. But those people who choose to tell me their religion, for no obvious reason, I will not do business with any more. For some reason this is usually Xians.

As I said, it isn't what you are but that you force the knowledge onto me without me asking, that I do not like.

About being a Minority. As I said, if I look I can find a way to be a Minority as well. In fact, I doubt there is a person on this board who, if they looked hard enough, couldn't find a way to be a minority in some way. So if you choose to view yourself as such, that is Your Choice. My choice is not to go down that road and so I don't have any "hard done-by minority" thoughts in my head, even if I claim nothing extra.

Govt forms: Just because you put something on a form doesn't mean you need to walk around proclaiming that label to the world.

The difference is, as I stated, I see myself as a Person who lives in Australia. I do not view myself as an Australian or Label-Australian. I don't view myself as white (or cream-ish colored to be more precise). I do not view myself as any of the different Races within me.

And while segregation might have been around for a long time, it would pay to have a Closer Look as to the Why of that. It's not as Black and White as you think.

With all things, it Starts with the individual. And though My Individual view might be idealistic, that's no reason not to adopt it, is it? Why not go with it despite what others Think? Shrug off your thoughts of being a Minority and be a Person. Just a person. A Person without a Label. Start with yourself. Maybe others will follow, maybe they will not. Who cares?

It might not be easy. I know that. I've seen/experienced the Pressure that races place on their young to stay within the race - brown-skinned girls getting a hard time from brown-skinned boys because she's with a cream-skinned boy, and vice versa. Asian and non-Asian couples and so on. As well as other Mixed ethnicities. But to hell with those crabs in the pot, I say.

Sure, politicians like Jesse Jackson playing the race card make it hard for people to be individuals instead of part of a group. But you (generic you) need to be just a person first and foremost. To resist the urge to become an automoton droid. If that means shutting off the all knowing eye and all speaking box and disengaging from the Brainwashing we call News and media commentators, then so be it. If that means frequenting different places, then so be it.

It starts with the individual.

I mentioned the media being shut off as they also cause a lot. For instance...

A while back down here an Abo was put into jail after a scuffle and died a while later. During the scuffle he had sustained an injury that lead to his death. It was an internal injury no-one knew about.

The Inquest found no malicious intent and an injury sustained accidentally. The Abos who live on Sit Down Money and drink booze all day, cause a Big Fuss. The state leader (a politician) ordered another Look into it, with a Court Case being the result. The police officer was found Not Guilty.

The media decided to show a disgruntled Abo saying "it's like the KKK".

WHY?

To help cause segregation. Read my sig file.

Michael Ross

Ankesh June 26, 2007 04:49 PM

Thanks Michael.

I think it makes good "business" sense if you do it right. Support a minority and more of them will buy from you. And if you don't take a very extreme stand, the majority won't stop buying from you either.

One very good example is about a restaurant that were always overbooked on I think Tuesdays because they came up with a promotion "Balds Eat Free on Tuesdays."

It worked very well because no bald person came to the restaurant alone. He always came with friends - who paid full price. And no - there was no backlash from people with hair on their heads :p

You could - as a business - come out on top by giving the minority (any minority) a discount if you do this subtly - without choosing sides.

MichaelRoss June 26, 2007 08:45 PM

Ankesh,

Thanks for adding.

As I metioned, we can ALL find a way to be a Minority if we Choose to be. Youre "Bald" story is a good example.

However, there is a world of difference between a restaurant offering specials to bald people and creating a book of advertising aimed at people with a certain sexual fetish, who, similtaneously, jump up and down and cry afoul of anything that may exclude them - real or preceived.

They can have a Same Sex Fetishist book but I cannot have a HeteroSexual book. Double standards. Creating division. Forcing their sexual fetish down my throat.

Michael Ross