SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hope you like the new Look! (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1682)

Dien Rice September 19, 2006 11:56 PM

Hope you like the new Look!

And (crossing my fingers) I hope it all works like it should too! (Please let me know if you notice any "strangeness"...)

You can now see all the posts from the main page - just like the "old" forum... :)

Sorry for the delay (the forum was down for quite a while as I worked on making these modifications) - so thank you for your patience!

- Dien

MichaelRoss September 20, 2006 02:34 AM

Just one thing...

Dien,

Thanks for bringing back the threaded look.

Just one thing... any way to Wrap the subject headings? The "Free Money" thread gives me left/right scroll bars. As well as the "is your business ready for that PR radio tour" thread.

Michael Ross

Ankesh September 20, 2006 03:34 AM

Re: Hope you like the new Look!

A new post brings the entire thread on the top. Can that be prevented?

Burford September 20, 2006 09:37 AM

Perfect! Thanks!

Dien Rice September 20, 2006 10:03 AM

Re: Just one thing...

Hi Michael,

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelRoss (Post 5423)
Just one thing... any way to Wrap the subject headings? The "Free Money" thread gives me left/right scroll bars. As well as the "is your business ready for that PR radio tour" thread.

I'm not aware of any way to wrap subject headings at the moment...

However, you can adjust the length at which they "cut off"... This might help you to get rid of the scroll bars...

To do this, first Log In, then...
  1. Click on "User CP" (near the top left of the screen)
  2. Click on "Edit Options
  3. Scroll down to "Threaded Forum Views: Title Length"
  4. Change the value to anywhere between 20 and 80 characters. (This gives you the maximum headline length your screen will show on the main forum page...)
  5. At the end of the page, click Save Changes.
Anyway, adjusting that number should help, I think... Play around with it and see how it looks.

I set the default length of headlines to 80, maybe I should "tweak" it a little...

Hope that helps! :)

- Dien

Dien Rice September 20, 2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ankesh (Post 5425)
A new post brings the entire thread on the top. Can that be prevented?

Hi Ankesh,

I don't think I can change that - I think it's "hard-wired" into the vBulletin software...

Although, I must say I'm quite pleased with myself getting it to look as much like the old forum as it does at present... :)

- Dien

Dien Rice September 20, 2006 10:07 AM

Glad you like it! :)

Glad you like it! :)

Dien Rice September 20, 2006 10:31 AM

By the way, if you preferred the "other" look (without threads)...

If you preferred the "other" look (without threads) - you can still view the forum that way.

For those who are interested, here's how to do that...
  1. Log In
  2. Click on User CP (near the top left of the page)
  3. Click on Edit Options
  4. Scroll down to Threaded Forum Views
  5. The default setting is "Enable" - to get rid of the "threaded" look, change this to "Disable".
  6. At the end of the page, click Save Changes.
Then, the forum will go back to the "earlier" look without threads. To change it back to the "threaded" look, go through the steps above again, but change "Threaded Forum Views" to "Enable".

So you can choose whichever you like best...

- Dien

Unregistered September 20, 2006 04:10 PM

Looks very much like the old sowpub forum, Dien...good job!

Is there any way to make new posts (i.e., since a person's last visit) to stand out? I think on the old forum the word "New" appeared in red next to new posts.

Cheers...
Eve :)

Dien Rice September 20, 2006 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eve (Post 5437)
Looks very much like the old sowpub forum, Dien...good job!

Thanks Eve... I'm glad you like it! :)

Quote:

Is there any way to make new posts (i.e., since a person's last visit) to stand out? I think on the old forum the word "New" appeared in red next to new posts.

Something like this does happen if you register and log in... It keeps track of your last visit, and the new posts have a "box" next to them in a "red/orange" color, so it's easy to spot!

I'm not sure if I can do this when you don't log in, though... If I do find out, though, I'll activate it.

However, if you haven't registered, please do - not all the "boxes" need to be filled in, only a couple are "required". Being registered allows you to use a whole bunch of various features (like emailing others for example). :)

Thanks for your question, Eve... :)

Cheers,

Dien