SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Resort Town Consulting (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10540)

Millard Grubb December 19, 2019 09:40 AM

Resort Town Consulting

For the past few years, I have been living in Branson MO. The whole town is focused on serving the hundreds of thousands(If not a million) of people who come here each year. I have focused my efforts in consulting on two nearby towns who have standard population and businesses.

Most of the businesses are happy with the business that comes in the two major seasons... main tourists of families in the summer (May - through August)... and the senior market from Sept. through December.

The town is barely open from Jan. through March.

Has anyone had experience working in a market like this?

GordonJ December 19, 2019 06:52 PM

Not exactly like that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millard Grubb (Post 40376)
For the past few years, I have been living in Branson MO. The whole town is focused on serving the hundreds of thousands(If not a million) of people who come here each year. I have focused my efforts in consulting on two nearby towns who have standard population and businesses.

Most of the businesses are happy with the business that comes in the two major seasons... main tourists of families in the summer (May - through August)... and the senior market from Sept. through December.

The town is barely open from Jan. through March.

Has anyone had experience working in a market like this?

Here in Cuyahoga Falls, we have BLOSSOM Music Center, one of the first "bowl", grass seating with a pavilion cover which holds several thousand. It is home to the Cleveland Orchestra, one of the greats in the world. It has a season too. Summer, with a couple of months on either side.

Also, I had a friend with a little motel in FL, just outside Daytona Beach, and he had a seasonal thing too.

What I can share is, it is a good time to target the LOCALS, and get deals into their hands, Inventory Clearances, President's Day, Valentine's Day and we see a lot of promotions this time of the year, because it isn't just a holiday town or destination, a lot of businesses go through this dead spot on their calendar.

Depending on what service you are offering, present it in terms of FOR LOCALS, for you.

Create your promotions as "catch your breath" offers, get this now before you get busy with the season. Try to use it to your advantage and most everyone will "get it", and understand the reasoning behind it.

Hope this helps a little.

Gordon

Millard Grubb December 19, 2019 10:04 PM

Re: Resort Town Consulting

Thanks Gordon !

Simple, yet direct.

I have a few folks I can talk to right away.

I'll let you know how it goes.