SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Further Thoughts on The Underground Economy (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4190)

Millard Grubb July 22, 2007 08:27 PM

Further Thoughts on The Underground Economy

My interest has always been for the average guy who makes a few bucks here and there under the radar.

One time I was working on a project but needed a few things. So I sent a few letters and got to present a few shows for schools for a few bucks.

I like the idea of the car detail guy at the mall and think this can be used with a twist with other things.

Got more ideas to share in a few minutes got to go eat supper.

Warmly,

Millard

GordonJ July 22, 2007 09:25 PM

The above board, below the radar thriving Underground Economy...YIKES.

Thanks Millard for bringing it up.

Just about every day I'm getting some email, a lot of it goes like this,

"Gordon, don't mention my name, but..."

And then the story about a friend, a relative, a neighbor...from the plumber, the wedding photographer and I got one from...

and this BLOWS MY MIND...and wants me to take the Minolta SRT 101 off the shelf...

ONE Papparozo

who is hauling down 6 figures by chasing after celebrities. OH sure, he gets a 1099 from the publisher...but what about his private "stock" ????

Anyhow, Millard, the UNDERground Economy is THRIVING. When I was in FL I went to several Flea Markets, and street vendors. HEY, here's an idea, ever see those guys selling watermelons from their pick up trucks? How about a FEW bags of ICE on them and sell some ICE cold melons.

I barely scratched the surface in Fly Low and Collect the Dough...but I'll put it all into the off line version.

Once your eyes have been OPENED to seeing the UE, it becomes visible everywhere you look. Sort of like magic glasses. Put em on and see people making cash hand over fists. Sort of like pulling a bunny out of a gator.

ANYONE with stories or wanting to share an UNDERGROUND ECONOMY story, you can email me in confidence, I won't mention your name unless you ask me to, fair enough?

NOW shhh, I've got some junk to sell sitting in the yard.

Gordon Jay Alexander http://www.flylowcollectdough.com

PS. One piece of advice I DO offer, "Stay above board with your UE efforts."

Millard Grubb July 22, 2007 09:26 PM

Re: Further Thoughts on The Underground Economy

I'm back... Just had to step out for a minute.

Anyway, it has always been exciting to be my own boss, especially after working the numerous jobs in my career that taught me a lot, but made me feel like I was in prison.

My old friends, Brian Flora and Docc Hilford, made me realize that working for myself, even if it took all day to make a $200 sale or it took 25 calls to book a magic show, was worth the "pressure" of working for yourself.

I really appreciate what Michael has expressed with his building experiences. Even though he has had a great learning time in the job, I still SHUDDER at the thought of having my time "Held Hostage".

I have worked jobs I despised so I could pay the mortgage or pay the car note.... I never like to do things that way.... being paid what someone else determines is my value.

Looking for options.... looking for ways to help others while getting paid is of interest to me. Even if I have to wash cars for myself or mow lawns ala the flyer in the neighborhood methods shared here...Or sell hotsheets or create a local newsletter.... All are preferred rather than punching a clock.

Gordon, have you ever considered taking a bunch of these flying low ideas and somehow being the conductor and managing a few folks to do these things locally with you making a few bucks from each one?

Warmly,

Millard

GordonJ July 22, 2007 09:38 PM

I can't manage myself...let alone others. HA!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millard Grubb (Post 16259)

Gordon, have you ever considered taking a bunch of these flying low ideas and somehow being the conductor and managing a few folks to do these things locally with you making a few bucks from each one?

Warmly,

Millard

Thanks Millard, thanks a lot pal. HA!

There is an old saying, " a prophet is without honor in his own house" {Yes, I know, based on what Paul said Jesus said...}

Here, I'm just a guy with many nicknames, depending on how you know me, some are not very flattering either.

As for being the conductor, Man, I'm tone deaf, that is why I started the OFF Key singing telegram business.

And for MANAGING????? other people????...I'm afraid I'm too much of a "curmudgeonly guru wannabe" to start managing other people. Besides that, I'm too lazy.

BUT, you have given me food for thought...maybe I can be an absentee "conductor". HMMM.

I'll think about this one.

gjabiz

Millard Grubb July 23, 2007 07:15 AM

Re: I can't manage myself...let alone others. HA!

So many opportunities.... so little time.

Millard

Pete Egeler July 23, 2007 01:58 PM

How I Fly Low..

without totally crashing. :)

I love to go hang out at the local flea market when I have the time.

Last week I loaded up a bunch of stuff, including some "hot sellers".

Well, in 4 hours I moved $70 worth of stuff, none of which came from the "hot Seller" batch.

My hot sellers is a bunch of fishing tackle I had given to me. Seems this friend of a friend bought an old country store up near Dollywood, and there was all this fishing stuff. Mostly artificial bait, but also a half-dozen fishing rods.

I offered to buy the stuff, but the guy asked if I could sell it at a flea market. When I said yes, he said "take it. It's all yours."

If the weather ever cools down where the fishermen can get at it again, I should pick up a couple hundred with this stuff. All good, all new.

Pete

Bea July 24, 2007 11:27 PM

Re: Further Thoughts on The Underground Economy

:D Hahahahaha, I love you guys!:D