SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How to fly below the radar, and above the fray. (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9984)

GordonJ September 18, 2017 12:30 PM

How to fly below the radar, and above the fray.

Above the fray?

Here is the Webster definition:

not directly involved in an angry or difficult struggle or disagreement

Example: His political aides handled the controversy while he remained above the fray

What a world we live in. My biggest gripe about the Internet, is, comments.

I NEVER (or try not to) read article comments. It is an equal playing field, but it is riddled with land mines and traps.

Some want to suck you into a political cursing contest. These trolls are fairly easy to identify, unless they use covert persuasion.

Some want to involve you in their "RIGHT AND TRUE" religions.

Others just want to harass and harangue and waste your time.

I hate TW's- TIME WASTERS.

And, it turns out our biggest enemies are OURSELVES. A discovery well elucidated by Pogo:

By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1882361

There is a space, I oft struggle to maintain, but it is flying below the radar and above the fray.

Here is where you make your dough, keep focused on what is important to you, don't get sucked into debates or involved in other people's opinions.

I'd say it is a place where very few people get to, but if they get a taste of it, want to get back to as often as possible.

The way to remain at an altitude which suits you, is to know what that is. And keep checking your altimeter to see where you are at.

Let the bombers launch their politics/religion/conspiracy bombs. Let the machine gunners strafe their imagined enemies, and keep a close watch on your time and how it is being spent...and make sure someone isn't trying to spend your time for you

Fly Low and Collect Your Dough...And Stay Above the Fray. My new mantra.

Gordon

unpinkpanther September 18, 2017 11:25 PM

"I can see clearly now..."

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 38570)
Above the fray?

Fly Low and Collect Your Dough...And Stay Above the Fray. My new mantra.

Gordon

Gordon:

Thanks for sharing.

For some reason, I had assumed "flying low" meant being content with picking a few nickels here and there.

But now I understand it as playing the game at an ambition level you choose but under the radar of today's craving for 15 minutes of fame.

In that sense, people like Harvey Brody can be seen as flying below the radar...and they sure aren't into nickel picking!

Thanks again.

GordonJ September 19, 2017 12:03 PM

Flying Low is the MO of most wealthy people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unpinkpanther (Post 38575)
Gordon:

Thanks for sharing.

For some reason, I had assumed "flying low" meant being content with picking a few nickels here and there.

But now I understand it as playing the game at an ambition level you choose but under the radar of today's craving for 15 minutes of fame.

In that sense, people like Harvey Brody can be seen as flying below the radar...and they sure aren't into nickel picking!

Thanks again.

I can't address your reason for your assumptions, but I'd bet it is true in your country too, most wealthy people DON'T want to be in the spot light.

Fame and fortune, may come together in some businesses, but most of the "fortunes" I've walked the country club fairways with, are actually pretty shy when it comes to some paparazzi sticking his camera (nose) in their business.

We are submerged in a culture of fame. And notoriety will oft serve that purpose as well.

Let me give you an example, since you mentioned Harvey Brody, a classic example of flying low, although not shy or unable to self promote, he did have his own seminars, back in the day, which a Who's Who of success attended. And one of those guys, was Gary Halbert.

One of the great self promoters of all times. Built his business on self promotion, after he had success as a marketer, his best selling product was himself.

But what of Dennis Haslinger? I would bet most people in this IM world or those learning marketing would have heard of or even studied Halbert, maybe even yourself.

But Dennis Haslinger? He and his wife became one of the largest donors to the arts and are still known for their philanthropy through their foundation. That isn't flying low, but it is controlled fame.

His compound (estate) sits above the place, the Old Green House, where Gary and Nancy lived, and where Gary wrote the now famous Nancy Letter.

Dennis was the original partner, bought Gary out, built a huge business and before his passing, could walk the streets of Akron unnoticed and unrecognized. And that is true of many wealthy folks.

On my list of Mentors, most of them have never been heard of. So, again, I don't have any idea where your assumption came from, but flying low above the fray is a tested and proven strategy many affluent people have adopted.

GordonJ

unpinkpanther September 25, 2017 05:33 AM

You're right...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 38578)
I can't address your reason for your assumptions...

So, again, I don't have any idea where your assumption came from, but flying low above the fray is a tested and proven strategy many affluent people have adopted.

GordonJ

I wonder why I assumed that.

That's why I like to keep learning; I love the joy of discovering new ways of seeing things.

Thanks again

250.ct November 13, 2017 07:54 PM

Re: Flying Low is the MO of most wealthy people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 38578)
I can't address your reason for your assumptions, but I'd bet it is true in your country too, most wealthy people DON'T want to be in the spot light.

Fame and fortune, may come together in some businesses, but most of the "fortunes" I've walked the country club fairways with, are actually pretty shy when it comes to some paparazzi sticking his camera (nose) in their business.

We are submerged in a culture of fame. And notoriety will oft serve that purpose as well.

Let me give you an example, since you mentioned Harvey Brody, a classic example of flying low, although not shy or unable to self promote, he did have his own seminars, back in the day, which a Who's Who of success attended. And one of those guys, was Gary Halbert.

One of the great self promoters of all times. Built his business on self promotion, after he had success as a marketer, his best selling product was himself.

But what of Dennis Haslinger? I would bet most people in this IM world or those learning marketing would have heard of or even studied Halbert, maybe even yourself.

But Dennis Haslinger? He and his wife became one of the largest donors to the arts and are still known for their philanthropy through their foundation. That isn't flying low, but it is controlled fame.

His compound (estate) sits above the place, the Old Green House, where Gary and Nancy lived, and where Gary wrote the now famous Nancy Letter.

Dennis was the original partner, bought Gary out, built a huge business and before his passing, could walk the streets of Akron unnoticed and unrecognized. And that is true of many wealthy folks.

On my list of Mentors, most of them have never been heard of. So, again, I don't have any idea where your assumption came from, but flying low above the fray is a tested and proven strategy many affluent people have adopted.

GordonJ

I think this is a perfect time to be pedantic. If someone was tossed naked out of a plane flying at high altitude, one might say it was the fall that killed them. In actuality it was the sudden stop that killed them not the falling.

You (GordonJ) referenced to power of fame yourself when you mentioned Gary Halbert’s self-promotion. Does not branding and fame complement each other? Oprah Winfrey is more powerful than the lottery. One endorsement from her, about your product or service, and you can make a fortune overnight.

I believe Michael Jordan is a billionaire from his Nike endorsements. The Kardashians, say what you want but they are ranking it in wealth wise, I assume. Then there are Youtube millionaires like: http://www.businessinsider.com/youtu...n-2016-2016-12

IMHO, there is nothing inherently wrong with fame. But just like "What goes up must come down", at least on earth. There is always the darkside of fame. I think there is a primal human need to be wanted, loved, in control, be powerful and fame is a means to that end.
There was a scene in the movie "The Devil's Advocate" starring Neo, Imperator Furiosa, and Michael Corleone (meant to be a joke) were the devil comforts Kevin with "vanity is my favorite sin" line :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv9zXUd55Sw . The fame Kevin received from being an undefeated lawyer, eventually nearly made him loose his moral compass. There is always the temptation to let fame to go to your head and feel untouchable until real life proves you wrong.

Plus fame is fleeting. People are fickle and envious. I have heard successful professional athletes, who come from impoverish backgrounds, who cannot return to their home towns because some might try to kill them out of jealousy. People always want a piece of you. Want to sue. Lunatics that blame you for their problem. The end of privacy.

Is it possible to have to benefits of fame without actually being famous yourself? What if you were “kingmaker”. Someone who is not famous themselves but has the access, knowledge, and info structure to make someone else famous.