SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sticky Question that Needs a Great Response (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1824)

Bizcoach Dianne October 14, 2006 03:07 PM

Sticky Question that Needs a Great Response

Hope you can help me with this question. As a coach and consultant, I very often freely discuss the "what" and the "why" on the topic of marketing and business development and also on web design and SEO. The "how" is the service that I provide. Every now and then I get someone who asks a pointed question about the "how", particularly on SEO.

I have not yet come up with a polite way to respond - not answer - the question that conveys the message that "that's the paid service" without sounding like I am withholding some big secret.

What's a great response?

Even if I give a broad overview type comment followed by "we'll go into much more detail as part of our working together", there is always the person who probes about the "how". Sometimes it's clearly because they want to do it themselves, but often times, it's someone who is just trying to clarify for themselves what will be happening and they don't realize that they are asking for "behind the curtain" information.

A short phrase or sentence that I can easily insert into the conversation would be great. I don't want to make it a huge issue but I do want to establish the boundary.

I know that if the question were asked of IBM or McKinsey & Co., the response would not be "that's how I earn my living". I'd like something more professional than that.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Business Development Coach Dianne

Skip Rosell October 14, 2006 03:34 PM

Re: Sticky Question that Needs a Great Response

At the point they ask the question "how" you have to find out if they want to know how so they can do it themselves or if they are really interested.

Put it right back on them to make the decision.

If you were selling lessons on how-to crafts and a prospect asked "How do you do that" about one of your projects you would say:

"That is just one of many projects I teach and I am glad you want to know how. We can get started right away, just sign here and I need a check for.........

If they are just seeking free advise they will be back peddling and if they are really interested they will sign or ask more questions that do not include the word "How". If the latter is the case they were JUST NOT sold on your service yet.

Best of success,

Skip

Jason October 14, 2006 05:49 PM

I would say " Sorry Sir / Ma'am, that is Proprietary information that I prefer to keep to myself."
Remind them that they can go online and buy a guide of SEO techniques and use the same ones everyone else is using to get poor results or they can uae your guarded secrets to get results like this....... (show them some images of your performance).

Or you could tell them that " At this point, it would be impossible as I would first need to spend a few hours examing your site objectives and current code to form the appropriate tactic for your particular business objectives. Once we enter into a formal relationship, I ensure that I will use my skill to get you the highest placement possible that will fit your business objectives."

Best wishes,
Jason

Don Alm October 14, 2006 09:25 PM

Something that's worked for me is....

..."ANSWER the question BEFORE it is asked!"

By that I mean...when you are explaining your "How To" service that you do, give them 1 or 2 "Behind The Scenes"..."Inside Info" Tips....to provide potential clients with "CONCRETE EVIDENCE that YOU...KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT! PROOF! Right before their very eyes!

Then...while you have them "mesmerized" and "in the palm of your hand as THE person to provide this "How To" service...tell them that your OTHER Methods and Techniques are contained in your "How To Service".

You are trying to do 2 things;
1) PROVE that you know your stuff
2) Head off the question you KNOW is coming by answering it FIRST; "All of my "Inside Info", "How To Stuff" is contained in my "Service".

It's one thing to "say" you are qualified and an "expert" and can do the "How To"....it's another to PROVE IT by giving them a "taste" of what you do. I'm sure you can let out 1 or 2 tidbits without "spilling all your candy in the lobby"!

This technique gets them "eating out of your hand"....WANTING to PAY YOU for the "other stuff" you know.

This is also called a..."DEMONSTRATION" of your abilities or knowledge. By "letting a little of the cat out of the bag" you CONVINCE them that you know what you are doing.

Don Alm

Millard Grubb October 15, 2006 02:36 PM

One thing I learned long ago when people wanted to get a full consult for nothing, was to ask very pointed questions. And in asking the questions, as Don Alm pointed out, you give a "little taste" of what you do.

In this way you come across as credible, without spilling the beans.

Warmly,

Millard Grubb

Hugh Gaugler October 15, 2006 02:47 PM

This Might Help . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizcoach Dianne (Post 6057)
What's a great response?

Dianne,

This is really a question of salesmanship. Here's some applicable data I learned on a Tom Hopkins tape: He or she who asks a question is in control. Thus, you don't answer your prospect's questions with statements because when you do, you lose control of the sales process . . . and that could easily get you in trouble.

Example:

Prospect: "Do you offer a professional SEO service?"

Sales Person: "Oh yes, that's exactly what I do!" [statement]

Prospect: "Well, thanks anyway, I really want to do it myself."

The Sales person should have asked a clarifying question instead, perhaps something like this: "Is that what you looking for . . . a professional to help you with SEO?" [a question]

Prospect: "No, not really. I want to do it myself."

Sales Person: "I see . . . would you rather learn how to do it from a book, or do you think it would be better to learn it from a SEO tutor . . . someone who is completely up to date with the latest techniques?" [another question]

The POINT: Ask clarifying QUESTIONS, do NOT make STATEMENTS in response to your prospect's queries!

Another Example, and more to the point of your request:

Prospect: "So, exactly how would you do SEO for my business?"

Bizcoach Dianne: "Are you looking to do the SEO yourself, or would you rather have an experienced professional do it for you?"

(This will tell you, first of all, whether or not you have a real prospect or a tire kicker on your hands.)

Suppose he/she says: "I really want to learn how to do it myself." Well, then offer your services as an SEO tutor, or (if the prospect is unwilling to pay) refer to books, etc. But, find out what YOU want to know by asking clarifying QUESTIONS.

Or, suppose your prospect says: "I'd like to have someone do it for me, but how do I know I'm going to get what I pay for?"

Careful! You just got another question from the prospect . . . he/she is now in control . . . don't give in to the temptation to jump in with a STATEMENT [like "Well, my services are guaranteed!"] Instead, get back in control by asking a CLARIFYING question: "If it was guaranteed to ___________ (your guarantee), would you be more inclined to enroll in a professional SEO program?"

If your prospect asks ANOTHER question, get him/her to clarify it by responding with questions of your own.

Remember: HE/SHE WHO ASKS THE QUESTION IS IN CONTROL!

You may think that people would object to your answering their questions with questions of your own. That is not the case. Your questions seek to clarify what the prospect needs/wants. Most people are too polite to ignore your questions. They will simply answer, and as long as you keep asking questions and remain interested in their answers, you will be in total control of the sales process. Start making statements in response to their questions, and THEY will be in control!

Hope that helps!

---- Hugh

P.S. Tom Hopkins' salesmanship materials are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!