SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How the world's most hated blogger makes money... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4093)

Dien Rice June 18, 2007 11:09 PM

How the world's most hated blogger makes money...

I don't have much time to write now, but I was sent this article... (Thanks!)

How the world's most hated blogger makes money
http://www.smh.com.au/news/web/blogg...019071972.html

In case you want to see his blog, you can find it here...
http://www.iamfacingforeclosure.com

So, is all publicity good publicity? He seems to think so... and he's making money from it too!

Best wishes,

Dien

Phil June 19, 2007 04:50 AM

Re: How the world's most hated blogger makes money...

We've discussed his blog awhile back on Sowpubs...

Unfortunately... He won't be making much money soon as his blog will probably be out of business soon...

Googling his name's has a few business lessons to be Learned. :)

Real Estate in general can be a Hot topic to write about without being Hated...

Here's just one Idea/Tip to consider starting a Focused Geographical blog about...

Do your Home Work on Real Estate **** and get Creative... ;)
http://www.google.ca/search?q=real+e...ient=firefox-a

Phil

Jim June 19, 2007 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 15752)
So, is all publicity good publicity? He seems to think so...

I've actually met Casey - had lunch with him when he was in Phoenix awhile ago.

The problem with his blog is that it is his main source of income, and if you look at the hours he puts into it compared to what he's making with it, you'll see that it's very likely under minimum wage.

The last couple of months have been a bit better.

But the funny thing - It's hardly a real estate blog even though he calls it that.

It's a place whare people can go and watch a trainwreck and it's actually pretty fascinating. The guy makes more stupid decisions than most normal people are capable of.

But still, I kinda like the guy.

His blog is for people to post their hatred about him and read other's hatred. It's simply a hate blog and that stuff draws a bit of attention.

As far as any publicity being good publicity? I'm not so sure.

I've considered advertising on his blog because it gets incredible traffic. The problem is that once you advertise there, it's like an endorsment from Casey and the last thing I would want is to have my product endorsed by a guy that everyone hates.

Almost a guilty by association sort of thing.

But for anyone that hasn't checked it out, his blog is a fun one to follow.

And another one that you might be interested in if you want to see the other side of what can happen to a real estate investor at the top of his game (but without all the hate).

Check out.... www.PushedToShove.com

Jim

Goldblogger June 19, 2007 04:06 PM

Great information Dien.

I hadn't heard of this blog, but one look at it and you can see that it is completely focused on money-producing keywords and cash generation.

The buzz is most definitely manufactured.

The keywords pairs are big money-makers in Google Adsense.

Affiliate products links are properly focused.

Every comment is a spidered by Google and it gives him more juice.

This dude is a goldblogger.

Aloha,

Jason Cain

Dien Rice June 20, 2007 07:39 AM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for sharing your experience with meeting up with Casey Serin...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 15757)
I've actually met Casey - had lunch with him when he was in Phoenix awhile ago.

The problem with his blog is that it is his main source of income, and if you look at the hours he puts into it compared to what he's making with it, you'll see that it's very likely under minimum wage.

The last couple of months have been a bit better.

But the funny thing - It's hardly a real estate blog even though he calls it that.

It's a place whare people can go and watch a trainwreck and it's actually pretty fascinating. The guy makes more stupid decisions than most normal people are capable of.

But still, I kinda like the guy.

It looks to me like he's taken lemons and made lemonade... Might be clever. But yeah, who would want to put up with so much "hate"? Whereas, I get the feeling he's encouraging it!

It's a kind of "Jerry Springer" effect - people like to see a good brawl! So they come in droves...

Quote:

As far as any publicity being good publicity? I'm not so sure.

I've considered advertising on his blog because it gets incredible traffic. The problem is that once you advertise there, it's like an endorsment from Casey and the last thing I would want is to have my product endorsed by a guy that everyone hates.

Almost a guilty by association sort of thing.
I agree... you gotta be cautious...

But it might fit some businesses... Though I'm not sure what, off the cuff!

Quote:

But for anyone that hasn't checked it out, his blog is a fun one to follow.

And another one that you might be interested in if you want to see the other side of what can happen to a real estate investor at the top of his game (but without all the hate).

Check out.... www.PushedToShove.com

Good luck to Joe with this!

Perhaps unfortunately, the way the system is, state Attorney Generals and District Attorneys have to win elections. And sometimes they like to "ham it up" and even conduct "show trials" to get publicity that they're "tough on crime" - so they can win the next election. (Mike Nifong, take a bow.)

- Dien

Dien Rice June 20, 2007 07:55 AM

Manufactured buzz...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldblogger (Post 15760)
Great information Dien.

I hadn't heard of this blog, but one look at it and you can see that it is completely focused on money-producing keywords and cash generation.

The buzz is most definitely manufactured.

The keywords pairs are big money-makers in Google Adsense.

Affiliate products links are properly focused.

Every comment is a spidered by Google and it gives him more juice.

This dude is a goldblogger.

Hi Jason,

I agree with you... I think some parts of IAmFacingForeclosure are "manufactured" - something just doesn't seem right...

For example, the "statement from the publisher" (a June 10th blog entry) just doesn't sound "right" to me... (For one thing, as some comments point out, they misspell the word "Foreword". Many books have a "Foreword". Would a real publisher really misspell that word - something which is in so many books?)

Also, the book cover of the supposed book he's writing, "The Foreclosure Code" (June 19th entry), is a design copied from the "Da Vinci Code"...

Also, it says "Volume One". Is a publisher really that confident of sales - that they're already planning a sequel?

Hmmm...

Part of me thinks these "mistakes" are intentional. So people have something to criticize him for - to keep the "controversy" going!

Still interesting though. There's no denying his traffic or publicity!

- Dien

Dien Rice June 20, 2007 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 15754)
We've discussed his blog awhile back on Sowpubs...

Thanks Phil - you're right!

Here's a link to Phil's post where he first mentioned this...

http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6233

Phil's on the ball - as usual!

Quote:

Unfortunately... He won't be making much money soon as his blog will probably be out of business soon...

I dunno... He's getting media publicity, which he's probably turning into cash. I guess it depends on how long until people "get bored" and move on...

Quote:

Here's just one Idea/Tip to consider starting a Focused Geographical blog about...

Do your Home Work on Real Estate **** and get Creative... ;)
http://www.google.ca/search?q=real+e...ient=firefox-a

Checking out some of those links, I gather "real estate ****" refers to those people who like to lovingly look through pictures and videos of pieces of real estate they fantasize about buying... :)

There are worse vices! ;)

Good idea for a blog!

Thanks again Phil!

Cheers,

Dien

Goldblogger June 20, 2007 03:14 PM

Negative Is Just As Good...

The inbound links of people criticizing and hating on him are just as important as the links from people that love him. Links are links. Every single one is more juice.

Aloha,

Jason Cain

MichaelRoss June 21, 2007 02:54 AM

Re: Negative Is Just As Good...

You said it Jason.

This is such an obvious Link Getting Ploy I refuse to visit the site. And Dien fell for it by posting a link. Gotcha.

Michael Ross

Unregistered June 21, 2007 09:54 AM

Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelRoss (Post 15778)
You said it Jason.

This is such an obvious Link Getting Ploy I refuse to visit the site.

I can see how you would think that but it's totally untrue.

Truth is, The blog is all true and he is clueless about how to make money with it.

The blog has been up for almost a year and he's made next to nothing with it.

As soon as he started to make a few bucks with adsense, all of his haterz reported him for click fraud and Google canceled his account.

His best adsense month was $2000 but he didn't see that money. I think he got a $60 check and $400 check for his first two months of adsense but that was it.

All the paid links on his site right now have only been there for a month and there's a bit of crazyness behind those too.

He made a deal with his wife a couple of months ago (details on his site) where he had to start making $1000 a week or shut down his blog and get a job.

He sold over $2000 in ads and then shut the blog down anyway and returned the money.

Then his "publisher" forced him to put the blog back up.

So, in almost a year of blogging and getting all the traffic he does, I don't think he's actually made ever 2K from the thing.

Jim K