SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   Original SOWPub Forum Archive (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A Magical MatchBox In My Sock Draw (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326)

Ricky Higgs September 27, 2000 11:50 AM

A Magical MatchBox In My Sock Draw

I want to share with you a story....

Some 20 years ago, when I was just starting out in my direct selling career,I went on a sales call…. I’ve never forgotten….

At the time, I was selling home insulation…. I got this lead from a strange guy who phoned our office, who said; “I ‘m interested in your product… However, I think you’ll be more interested in a secret I want to share with you “…

Well I arrived at this guy’s house at the appointed time, intrigued by his comment…. The door opened…. Before me stood an old man, winter in his hair and chin, all dressed in white….. His weathered face projecting that worldly experience and wisdom that only comes with later years.

He sat quietly… While I delivered my pitch …. Nodding in agreement every now and then and listening as a wise man always does.

He uttered no objections … I made the sale…. After asking him to “press hard Sir… three copies… and okay the order form”… He left the table and went into a back room… Thinking he had gone to get his check book to pay the deposit…. He returned with two boxes in his hands….
A large shoebox and a matchbox sitting on top. The shoebox was labeled with a brand of footwear I recognized … The matchbox was not a brand I had seen… It looked like one from many years before my time.

He opened the shoebox…. It was crammed full of $20 bills…. I estimated there must have been at least $50,000 in it.

He said calmly, “How much do you want?”…. I responded; “Err…$200 will be fine, Sir”…. He promptly handed me the box and said, “Take it”.

I counted out the ten twenties and asked him to check if I had taken the right amount…. He said, “That won’t be necessary, Lad…. Instead, I want you to look inside a much more valuable box…. This little matchbox”

I was intrigued and curious… What could possibly fit in that little box that could be worth more than all the dough in the shoebox…. Maybe it was diamonds, or some other precious stones?

Like a kid in a candy store, I quickly slid open the matchbox…..
To my amazement…. There was a pre-decimal coin (a shilling) and a folded up piece of paper inside…. “Err…Excuse me, Sir… But there’s only a coin in here and a piece of paper?…. I don’t understand?”
“Is it a rare coin?”

He replied, “Son… Now read what it says on that piece of paper in the box”

I carefully unfolded the note that I noticed had yellowed with age….
I observed it had been written using a fountain pen…
I read it out aloud;
“Here I put enough money to buy a loaf of bread today… I shall never be hungry as I will always have money… dated July 1941”

(It was 1980 when I read this… It meant that matchbox and note was 39 years old)

I said, “I don’t understand, Sir?”

He replied; “My boy… This is the secret to my wealth, passed down to me from my grandfather…. And it can be your secret as well…When you go home tonight, I want you to put what it costs you today for a loaf of bread in a small box and write the same message as you’ve read…. Close the box and keep it with you always, … Put it in a draw you use everyday…. But you must never open the box and spend the money you’ve placed inside, never ever…. Until your dying day…. Always remember you could once afford a loaf of bread…. And I promise you …. You will never go without or ever be hungry and one day you will have a shoebox of money just like mine and much much more!”

I drove home… Happy I’d made the sale… But I couldn’t get the matchbox idea out of my mind…. It played on my mind for days… This was the weirdest experience I’d ever had… The one sale I’ve never forgotten.

I wrote a note, and placed fifty cents in a Redhead branded matchbox beneath the socks in my draw…..

I’ve never had to spend that money in that box, and I’ve always got money in my wallet, more than I need…. Twenty years have passed and everyday I change my socks …. I still think about that little matchbox and that man…. And you know… I believe that I never will go hungry….

Now I understand…..
That’s the power of suggestion…. An affirmation I wrote 20 years ago that is now well entrenched deep within my subconscious that empowers me and provides the answers I need to make a shoebox of money....

I know ....
You Will Make Your Own Little Box Today

Warmest Regards

Ricky Higgs

Sell Your Brain On The Net

Dien Rice September 27, 2000 01:31 PM

I created my matchbox....

Ricky,

I just made up my little matchbox. I have a small pile of matches -- without the box -- right next to me to prove it!

And of course, I have my matchbox -- containing the note I just wrote and the bread money, in front of me....

That was a wonderful story....

This reminds me of something I read about the comedian and movie star Jim Carrey. I read this in a magazine article....

Jim Carrey was down and out. I'm not sure if he was homeless, but he was close to it. No money, and no prospects.

What he did was he wrote himself a check, postdated 5 years in the future. The check was for $1 million dollars. He wrote the check to himself.

After that, things began to happen. His comedy stand up act began to pick up. He was then chosen for the TV comedy show, In Living Color. And as they say, the rest is history.

And I don't need to tell you -- he cashed that $1 million dollar check to himself. And he had the money to do it.

The power of affirmation....

I've written my little note, and put the bread money in my matchbox. Thank you Ricky -- now I know I'll never go hungry.... as long as I keep changing my socks.... :)

By the way, I recently got Ricky Higgs' new ebook. I'm still reading through your new ebook, Ricky, but so far it's fantastic. You do have a gift for communication, as your story showed, and you provide a lot of great information and motivation too.... :)

Thank you Ricky for taking the time to post your story.... And if you liked Ricky's story, you may want to check out his ebook, "Sell Your Brain on the Net".... I've really been enjoying it so far... :) (I don't get anything for saying that -- I'm just a pleased reader....)

Sell Your Brain on the Net....

Bob Beckman September 27, 2000 02:08 PM

Me too!

and I put a real SILVER dollar and some silver coins to make sure they will retain value:-)

Excellent story, Ricky. And Dien, I second your comments on the e-book - I'm going thru it now as well. And, like you, I get nothing but knowledge for this endorsement.

Bob

Michael Ross September 28, 2000 11:05 PM

Additional Info About Jim

Dien,

I too read something similar. The thing I read had a small piece of additional info I feel is important...

He carried the cheque (check) around with him. And... EVERY NIGHT he would drive up to the Hollywood sign, look down upon the city and say "Down there someone wants to work with me" (or something similar).

I believe this makes it an identicle process to that of the matchbox.

With the matchbox you see it every day and the words you wrote are resubmitted to your sub con mind for processing and acting upon.

With Jim, he did the same actions and repeated the same words every day - resubmitting to his sub con mind for processing and acting upon.

Michael Ross.