SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How important is DESIRE to you? (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9912)

GordonJ July 11, 2017 08:35 PM

How important is DESIRE to you?

Most know I am goal oriented, planning fanatic and try to solve my problems in the directions of my goals.

I now use the Harvey Brody "view from the rooftop" almost exclusively in goal planning, AND seeing the goal in detail from the top, and before the first step up the ladder is taken. So before I place my foot on the first rung, I like to have a good reason for starting.

I'm old school, still think what Earl Nighteingale said on his classic record, The Strangest Secret: Motivation comes from the pursuit of a worthy goal, is great advice.

An aside, I used to think of him often in Hawaii, when the ferry to Ford Island went by the Arizona. Earl was one of only 15 marines who survived the attack on Pearl Harbor, and were stationed on the Arizona.

Dan Ariely says in his great book; PAYOFF, having a meaningful job at work is one of most important factors to keep up morale, without a worthy purpose, it is a fast shot to low morale.

OH, do you read something new every day? I do.

Do you know how to stoke the fires of desire, and get yourself worked up about something? I think many today, don't.

Napoleon Hill said in THINK AND GROW RICH, Desire was the starting point for riches. I normally ask, what do you want?

Today, I ask; what do you truly desire, what is a burning desire you have to pay attention to.

For me, it is sad if you don't have one.

Gordon

PS. Maybe this might help someone. Today I'm focused on creating content to sell to "Hollywood", which represents a creative market, were creative ideas are routinely bought and sold.

I realized before I just ran into the market and started shouting like a 1920's newsie, I had to learn some lingo.

When you try something new, you have to learn the language the people are using, so it begins with study, and learning. Same is true for all fields.

If you don't know the difference between a bogey and an eagle, or a driver from a putter, you're probably not a golfer.

By learning the language of the arena, you can often articulate your DESIRES more accurately, and when you do that, magic begins to happen.

Dien Rice July 13, 2017 08:13 AM

I'm too busy fighting fires on the ground... Need to get to the roof!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 38310)
Most know I am goal oriented, planning fanatic and try to solve my problems in the directions of my goals.

I now use the Harvey Brody "view from the rooftop" almost exclusively in goal planning, AND seeing the goal in detail from the top, and before the first step up the ladder is taken. So before I place my foot on the first rung, I like to have a good reason for starting.

Hi Gordon,

The "view from the rooftop" is a good way to do things...

I often find myself too busy "fighting fires"... Things become "urgent" even if they're perhaps not that "important"... But then the real "important" things aren't getting done...!

Yeah, sometimes I'm an idiot...

I need to do more "viewing from the rooftop" too!

Best wishes, :)

Dien

GordonJ July 13, 2017 09:00 AM

Hammer on the nail's head, for most of us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 38312)
Hi Gordon,

The "view from the rooftop" is a good way to do things...

I often find myself too busy "fighting fires"... Things become "urgent" even if they're perhaps not that "important"... But then the real "important" things aren't getting done...!

Yeah, sometimes I'm an idiot...

I need to do more "viewing from the rooftop" too!

Best wishes, :)

Dien

You have just identified the number one "lament" from a majority of people's perspective. As Joe Karbo put it, most are too busy earning a living and don't make time to make money.

Yea, he said MAKE TIME. It was perhaps my biggest takeaway from S. CA when I left. You have to make time, for whatever it is you want. Which comes back around to either managing your time, managing activities and in most people's cases, cutting some things out of the schedule.

The #! mistake almost 90% of everyone I've worked with is, they OVERESTIMATE the amount of time they actually have to do a project.

In the 4 month apprentice program, they find that out very quickly. 120 days is enough time, if you can FOCUS a given amount a day, even an hour, and dedicate that time to doing the ONE thing.

I believe you have confessed to a universal "problem", one which is a billion dollar industry already (Time Management) and yet, there is not a one size fits all, except for SQ1, which works for everybody.

Focus is a residual effect from DISCIPLINE, which itself, is born of HABIT.

and most of us don't know how to shut off the reptile brain of instant gratification and turn on the motivation to stay with something to completion. One help: smaller tasks with faster rewards. My rungs up the side resemble a fire escape on a bldg, and each 7 steps up, there is a platform, to rest and collect my reward. It is easier going up this kind of ladder than one without any clear stopping points.

So try a fire escape type ladder on one of your projects. Will ya?

Gordon