SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   chattel help (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10685)

jsansi July 4, 2020 11:06 AM

chattel help

Doing some chatteling. Its going good, but I'm not selling things quickly. Usually taking a 2-3 weeks to move an item.

I always check prices against ebay sold listings. So I'm buying and selling below those prices. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong to get items to sell faster.

I know I can list on ebay, but after the ebay, paypal, and shipping fees (like a large stroller) would likely eat any potential profits.

Suggestions?

GordonJ July 4, 2020 11:27 AM

In general. Copy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsansi (Post 40892)
Doing some chatteling. Its going good, but I'm not selling things quickly. Usually taking a 2-3 weeks to move an item.

I always check prices against ebay sold listings. So I'm buying and selling below those prices. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong to get items to sell faster.

I know I can list on ebay, but after the ebay, paypal, and shipping fees (like a large stroller) would likely eat any potential profits.

Suggestions?

You don't give much to work with, but, in general try better copy. If you are not using eBay to sell, then is this mostly local? Where do you advertise?

In general, you will find more pics and longer reason why copy to be your friend when wanting faster flips.

Now I believe in faster (lower) profits rather than holding something for that long, one week is too long, so 2 to 3 weeks might mean you are giving up quicker turn over for bigger profits. I believe that circulation beats storage or holding every day of the week.

Now there are a lot of Chattelers these days, and some like to hold and store stuff, even have storage places, garages filled...and it works for them.

So without knowing too much about what you are doing, the one piece of general advice would be....work on your copy, especially headlines, and give the reader a reason why you are selling this thing.

Gordon

jsansi July 4, 2020 06:17 PM

Re: chattel help

okay... here's one copy of the CL ad:
https://reno.craigslist.org/bab/d/sp...131160129.html

Maybe CL is just not where folks are nowadays. Unfortunately still waiting for facebook marketplace approval. Though I've posted a similar ad on the local buy/sell FB group.

GordonJ July 4, 2020 10:02 PM

What do you have in it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsansi (Post 40897)

Maybe CL is just not where folks are nowadays. Unfortunately still waiting for facebook marketplace approval. Though I've posted a similar ad on the local buy/sell FB group.

I see there are many strollers listed on your craigslist site, yet none on the Reno Facebook marketplace. And you have a Reno yard sale/online group to post it in.

Did you pay anything for this, or did you buy it to flip?

I would tell a story. Maybe put kid in one, or a doll, the one you are keeping and put the one for sale next to it.

Two Strollers. ONE Kid. Make an offer.

Bobby has chosen. We pushed him around the streets of Reno in both strollers, and although he fell asleep in both of them, we think he likes the one on the left.

But, truthfully, Bobby didn't get to decide. We're not letting our two year tell us what to do (anymore than he already does).

The clean, sanitized, like new McLaren has to go. WE have spoken. Bobby probably won't even notice. But you will note how smooth this foldable, lightweight stroller pushes, handles even the most bumpy sidewalks in town with ease.

Your babe will be fast asleep in minutes, or you can just let him or her take in the neighborhood. Protected from the sun, your child will appreciate the smooth ride.

And since we don't need two strollers, we'll accept any reasonable offers, so make us one.

OH, make your offer on the stroller, we're keeping Bobby for now, but check back when he hits his teen years, we may have changed our minds.

Asking 83.75. We need the change for the pop ring machine inside the Discount Drug Mart store (for us, Bobby has his binky, we need ours).

INFO.

Be creative with your ad, first job is to get it read, then a reason why you are selling, and sometimes humour will work with these mundane, but a story almost always works faster than a description.

And post it in all the free places at your disposal.

Gordon

jsansi July 7, 2020 11:29 AM

I bought it to flip ...

I appreciate the help Gordon. Feels like however much I think I know, I don't really know anything at all. I'm reworking and testing the ads now based on your suggestion.

GordonJ July 8, 2020 12:25 PM

What I learned from 25 years of selling the chattel report.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsansi (Post 40908)
I bought it to flip ...

I appreciate the help Gordon. Feels like however much I think I know, I don't really know anything at all. I'm reworking and testing the ads now based on your suggestion.

I don't sell it, the report, haven't for a long time, but it has been around for 25 years in various forms.

Here is what I've learned. FEW, very few ever took the time to build networks. I once had videos posted on Youtube, and it was a big part of the report.

But most of the Chattelers were very part time, made some deals, then got back to what they were doing before I distracted them.

The number one question was always WHAT to sell. And it is the number one stumbling block, because MY answer has always been, it doesn't matter WHAT it is, is it something someone wants and is there profit in it?

Follow some of the current people who buy and sell for a living, and that becomes pretty clear.

In the original report, I did a big section on the PSYCHOLOGY of buying and selling and how to use that both when buying and then when selling.

My general advice I gave here, BETTER COPY (or reasons why) is one part of it.

Knowing one makes their money on the BUY, is also a big part of it. Today, the tools, like eBay sold listings, craigslist, Facebook market place are all places to learn what people want and have paid cold hard cash for.

Also, I've learned Chatteling pops up again and again, when jobs are lost, people need fast cash, or get desperate.

I explained it took a year to build up your networks, by visiting those buyers of chattel, the local bike shop, music store, collectibles, thrifts, outlets, consignments, etc., etc.

Today, almost all of it is being done online, with either pick up, shipping or delivery, as more and more retailers were forced to close.

Get to know WHY people sell for undervalue, and then use good copy writing skills to tell a story why someone should buy it from you, and pocket the difference.

Gordon

Dien Rice July 8, 2020 08:18 PM

A second-hand ad "trick" I've used...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsansi (Post 40908)
I bought it to flip ...

Hi jsansi,

A "trick" I've used is this...

Find successful ads selling the same thing (or close to the same thing) that you're selling... Selling the item second-hand if you're also selling second-hand...

Then, copy their ad... At least the structure of it.

You can also improve on it (you may notice they're missing some helpful things, which you can add in)...

If their ad is successful, and if you're selling the same or similar product, at a good price, in the same place, then there's a good chance your ad should work too...

With chatteling, you effectively make your money when you buy. If you've bought an item there is a demand for at a good enough price, it's hard not to make money when you sell.

The Chattel Report shows you how to do this...

Best wishes,

Dien

jsansi July 9, 2020 05:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dien & Gordon --- Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. I do have the report. I'll read it again ...

Here's my chattel transaction log so far ... not a lot of stuff ... not getting rich beyond avarice ... but I take the base hits working on pyramiding up to higher value transactions.

GordonJ July 9, 2020 06:48 PM

You're doing good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsansi (Post 40897)

When you go to your craigslist, type in FOR SALE, then put in the dollar amount...I did 100 min 125 max, your profit so far minus expenses.

Here is one that caught my eye:

https://reno.craigslist.org/for/d/sp...149635996.html

This item sells at Walmart for 125 and you pay taxes there. It has been up for 12 days, with an update yesterday. I would contact the person and say you'd give him 75, see what he/she says. If they are firm, you are out a couple of minutes, but if they budge at all, and you pick it up under 100, there is 20 + profit there, and I'd make that deal ten times a day...

IF it doesn't cost a lot of gas to get there. Always a consideration, don't know your area, so this may be on the other side of town and not worth it.

This type of item is made for a story selling, about allergens and all that.

But give DOLLAR amounts a try, both on craigslist and on eBay, shake the 100 dollar tree, see what is for sale.

As you get more and more profits (of feel frisky) try the 500 min to 550 max search.

This caught my eye in that range.
https://reno.craigslist.org/for/d/su...150916322.html but this was a very fast cursory look, nothing in depth, just want you to think DOLLARS to search for, not stuff.

Gordon

PS THIS> https://reno.craigslist.org/for/d/re...142412117.html

To add value to an item like this, you can easily pick up some cheap/free/public domain or PLR reports on GROWING, a whole bunch of stuff...maybe even a herb farm, I mean actual herbs and spices...but I would then write it up as a biz op. Pay 400 (if he'll take it, sell it as start your own mini farm...for maybe 750). You will find a lot of these things at a higer price range, and with reports and how to info so cheap, you reframe them as a biz op...works good with lawn mowers, tillers, high pressure water guns.

unpinkpanther July 21, 2020 03:36 AM

What else will you do differently today?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 40910)
I don't sell it, the report, haven't for a long time, but it has been around for 25 years in various forms.

Knowing one makes their money on the BUY, is also a big part of it. Today, the tools, like eBay sold listings, craigslist, Facebook market place are all places to learn what people want and have paid cold hard cash for.

Get to know WHY people sell for undervalue, and then use good copy writing skills to tell a story why someone should buy it from you, and pocket the difference.

Gordon

Hey Gordon

Thanks again for sharing the information you did on the Sprint to Freedom-Chattel Report.

I think the concepts of the Parade of Life and the Bike Metaphor for Building Networks are solid GOLD.

(I also chuckle whenever I read the sections where you tell the reader to use the coloured markers enclosed, but that's another story altogether!)

I'm curious: if you were to update that report for today, what is the KEY part you would focus on?