SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do you lack confidence? Here's a weird tip that works for me... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9889)

Dien Rice May 27, 2017 05:24 AM

Do you lack confidence? Here's a weird tip that works for me...

Do you sometimes lack confidence?

I think everyone sometimes lacks confidence. For example, sometimes you want to contact prospects, or to contact possible business partners... But you lack the confidence to do so.

It's holding you back...

The following is a weird tip... But it's worked for me.

Don't laugh, okay? :)

One thing I do is... Eat some hot chili sauce.

Yes, it burns! But after that, I find I relax, and I'm more at ease talking with others...

Why does it work?

I believe it's because of endorphins. When you eat hot chili, your brain reacts to the pain by releasing endorphins... These are "feel good" chemicals in your brain.

This causes you to relax, and actually feel good! It also seems to bring about confidence...!

I used to carry a small bottle of chili sauce around with me, just in case I needed it!

There you go... That's something that works for me.

Feel free to try it out! :)

Best wishes,

Dien

unpinkpanther May 27, 2017 09:39 AM

Now that's a HOT tip

Thank you for sharing

I can see how it can help spice things up a bit.

Maybe you've forgotten that the action lies not in the pepper but in your DECISION to act.

If you hadn't made up your mind to ACT, you would just keep eating a lot of HOT chilli pepper

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 38164)
Do you sometimes lack confidence?

I think everyone sometimes lacks confidence. For example, sometimes you want to contact prospects, or to contact possible business partners... But you lack the confidence to do so.

It's holding you back...

The following is a weird tip... But it's worked for me.

Don't laugh, okay? :)

One thing I do is... Eat some hot chili sauce.

Yes, it burns! But after that, I find I relax, and I'm more at ease talking with others...

Why does it work?

I believe it's because of endorphins. When you eat hot chili, your brain reacts to the pain by releasing endorphins... These are "feel good" chemicals in your brain.

This causes you to relax, and actually feel good! It also seems to bring about confidence...!

I used to carry a small bottle of chili sauce around with me, just in case I needed it!

There you go... That's something that works for me.

Feel free to try it out! :)

Best wishes,

Dien

sandalwood May 27, 2017 03:25 PM

Re: Now that's a HOT tip

Quote:

Originally Posted by unpinkpanther (Post 38165)
Thank you for sharing

Maybe you've forgotten that the action lies not in the pepper but in your DECISION to act.

If you hadn't made up your mind to ACT, you would just keep eating a lot of HOT chilli pepper

Cheers

Or you would have named your band Red Hot Chili Peppers...

unpinkpanther May 27, 2017 05:19 PM

Re: Now that's a HOT tip

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandalwood (Post 38166)
Or you would have named your band Red Hot Chili Peppers...

LOL

That too!

Dien Rice May 30, 2017 02:44 AM

I'm not like Dumbo the elephant (though some beg to differ)...

Quote:

Originally Posted by unpinkpanther (Post 38165)
Thank you for sharing

Hi UnPinkPanther...

Yes, true, if I didn't act... I'd just have a burning tongue!

But what I find it does for me is it lightens my mood...

Again, I believe it is the endorphins (your brain produces these in response to pain)...

I also believe in the "mood transference" theory of sales... That is, if you're trying to sell something, and you're depressed... You'll just make your prospect depressed too. But if you're in an enthusiastic mood... your enthusiasm will transfer to your prospect as well!

And they'll be more likely to buy.

If you haven't read it yet, please read Gordon Alexander's "White Bread Story"...

http://sowpub.com/story-whitebread.shtml

I once did a sales job, selling cheap comedy club tickets over the phone, to completely random people. I often won the weekly sales competition... I believe my secret eating of hot chili sauce at the start of my sales day helped me to do it... ;)

(My then-girlfriend, now-wife, called it my "magic feather"... Insultingly comparing me to Dumbo the elephant! The nerve! ;) )

That's the story, and I'm sticking to it...! :)

Best wishes,

Dien

unpinkpanther May 30, 2017 05:59 AM

Since you put it that way...

Thanks for sharing, Dien.

Since you put it that way, I'll just have to try it for myself.

(After all, my ears are kinda big enough...:D )

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 38179)
Hi UnPinkPanther...

Yes, true, if I didn't act... I'd just have a burning tongue!

But what I find it does for me is it lightens my mood...

Again, I believe it is the endorphins (your brain produces these in response to pain)...

I also believe in the "mood transference" theory of sales... That is, if you're trying to sell something, and you're depressed... You'll just make your prospect depressed too. But if you're in an enthusiastic mood... your enthusiasm will transfer to your prospect as well!

And they'll be more likely to buy.

If you haven't read it yet, please read Gordon Alexander's "White Bread Story"...

http://sowpub.com/story-whitebread.shtml

I once did a sales job, selling cheap comedy club tickets over the phone, to completely random people. I often won the weekly sales competition... I believe my secret eating of hot chili sauce at the start of my sales day helped me to do it... ;)

(My then-girlfriend, now-wife, called it my "magic feather"... Insultingly comparing me to Dumbo the elephant! The nerve! ;) )

That's the story, and I'm sticking to it...! :)

Best wishes,

Dien