SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The coming DEPRESSION...PART TWO. (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7264)

GordonJ March 6, 2011 11:13 AM

The coming DEPRESSION...PART TWO.

April 20... The DEPRESSION begins. PART TWO.

Make as much CASH as fast as you can.
Start buying extra FOOD at today's prices.
Join or form a buying Co-Op to stretch your buying power.

I'll post this message every time for the next few weeks. Now on to the coming DEPRESSION.

9:30 AM EST April 20, 2011. The opening bell rings at the NYSE. Trading is moderate.

9:45 CNN reports oil tankers have exploded on both sides of the Suez Canal.

9:55 Reports of multiple fires in the Saudi Arabian oil fields.

10:00 The DOW crashes 1000 points. Gold goes to 2300 dollars. Trading is suspended. Wall Street is shut down.

10:30 Long lines have instantly sprouted up at gas stations around the country.

Wal-Mart sees massive sales across the country as shelves are being emptied. A panic has set in.

The DEPRESSION has instantly begun.

Worst case scenario? Hardly. Another 9/11 or Pearl Harbor is a worse case.

But short of a direct attack on America, an attack on Saudi Oil will have a far reaching and incredibly negative effect on ALL Americans. On the world. It is the ONE event which could throw the world into a Depression as fierce as the Great Depression of the 30's.

Far fetched? HOLLYWOOD “doomsday” thinking?

Consider this: USS Cole. One of the attacks on America which took dozens of American lives. A US Navy warship. There are hundreds of tankers between the Suez Canal and the shores of America. One pirate ship, one rogue fishing vessel used as an IED (Improvised Explosive Device) could create havoc and if attacked in the Persian Gulf region, could be a snowball which gathers speed and size down the hill until it crashes into the sleepy village below.

America is the sleepy village which has ignored the potential avalance for decades. Rather than building a wall of protection around ourselves, we've chosen to remain dependent on the small group of Princes at the top of the mountain for our protection.

Recent news: a drug smuggling submarine. Is there any reason to doubt the possibility of a small attack submarine, an Improvised attack vessel, which could spill a Super Tanker's contents into the seas? With dozens of International armed warships off the coast of Somalia, we've been unable to stop the pirates.

See, it isn't nations, or governments or huge militias we need to worry about.

It is the Timothy McVeighs of the world. Tim McVeigh, the Oklahoma City Bomber, who used a rental truck and fertilizer as his IED to take the lives of hundreds of men, women and children in the name of his cause. Which was the destruction of America.

How many thousands of “Tim McVeighs” are there in Saudi Arabia? Iran? Egypt? Too many to count. Too many to stop.

On TV this week the “news” was all about either Charlie Sheen or the budgets of our federal and/or several state governments. And about who will run for President against Obama.

Wall St. Pundits did their usual...pimping stocks and speculating on sugar futures.

My opinion is, America has it's collective head stuck up it's collective AZZes. It's time for a wake up call. There are many, many issues which could hold our attention...but there is ONE, in my opinion, the only ONE which could devastate our way of life for ever. Dependency upon foreign OIL.

And there isn't a thing we can do about it now...as a country. We've made our bed, and we've been sleeping with the Mubaraks, the Quadaffis and the Saudi Princes for decades. And we will pay a heavy price for the veneral disease of “foreign oil” which we have afflicted upon ourselves.

But YOU can do something about YOUR future. America's strength is found in it's people during emergency times. That is when we rally. That is when we are at our best. That is what is great about America.

I'm telling you to be a good American and get yourself prepared. HEY, if my “doomsday” scenario doesn't happen, then the worse thing that happens to you is you have more CASH on hand and a lot of food you bought at today's prices as a hedge against any inflation.

Make as much CASH as FAST as you can. (Any legal method will do, if it is right for you).
Begin to buy tomorrow's FOOD at today's prices. (And plant a garden this spring, an Herb garden today).
Join or form a Co-Op. Start with a family member, a friend and go “halfsies” in on supplies from one of the discount places...Sam's Club, Costco, BJ's...or find a small businessman who buys supplies at wholesale prices and share the costs of staples like toilet paper.

It could be your bowling team, PTA, neighborhood, church or even your Charlie Sheen FAN Club, but start talking today about “sharing expenses” of staple items and begin to buy in bulk or at wholesale prices and put things up for a rainy day...all while hoping, praying and working against the rainy day from happening.

IF the storm doesn't hit America as I think and feel it will...you'll at least have some “insurance” against any economic spikes or inflation which may come our way too.

I'm opening my phone lines. I'm available to talk to you, anyone of you. I'm pretty good at finding your hidden talents and abilities and will offer some “food for thought”.

I want you to start ACTING today on your future. I want you to surTHRIVE, and hopefully, I'm way off base about “doomsday” and depressions...and you and I will have a bright rosy future with a lot of extra CASH to spend on the things, the people and the activities we want to do.

MORE to COME.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. Want to talk? Email me [email protected] I'll give you my cell phone or Skype number and we'll schedule a time. Fair enough?

Adman March 6, 2011 09:02 PM

Yup!....She's Comin' Down!

I never thought the "Good Ole USof A" become a country that "rewarded" NON-workers and made "Dependents" of it's citizens.

Living in OreGUN....we have a "Public Employee Retirement System" that pays TEACHERS and Gummit workers....120% of what they were earning when they were Producing. Anyone "earning" $50,000/yr while they were producing are now "making" $60,000/yr (Note the 2 words, Earning and Making)....watching TV!

For years, our welfare system REWARDED women for having babies...provided the male who helped create the baby was NOT around. So....children grew up without a dad.

The money to pay for all this did NOT come from "Obama's STASH"! It came from those nasty, dastardly RICH people.

Although....nowadays most of this money IS coming from "Obama's STASH"! All he does is order one of his "Czars" to print up a few trillion more bux.

Yup....Obama found a reason to shut down oil drilling in the Gulf. One foul well....out of over 6,000.

Brazil wanted to improve it's Oil Producing....Obama gives them 2 Billion.

Yup....Gordon's right! Even if some Terrorist doesn't blow an oil tanker. The people running our Gummit are doing their damndest to "Take Her Down!"

One well placed IED is faster....but....da Gummit's way is slower and less noticeable.

So....along with GJ's suggestions on stocking up and getting ready....one suggestion I have is...."GET TO KNOW SOME MORMON'S!"

I don't agree with them on their religious views BUT....one of the things they do is "STOCK FOOD"!

So....hook up with some local Mormons and start stocking food with them.

Get the soil ready for your Victory Gardens.

And....even though you may think that "Homeland Security" and "The Fed" and all the other Gummit Bureau's will "Protect YOU"....git yer head outa da sand and start acting like IT'S gonna come down....ANY DAY!

Because "SHE....IS" comin' down!....and YOU will be standing in the street "Naked as a Jay Bird"....and you didn't have a clue as to what Hit Ya!

If the price of gas can leap to over $4/gal....in a few weeks......just because the production of 1.5 million barrels a day from Libya....MIGHT be disrupted... what do you think WILL happen if there's another disruption in supply?

We use 88 million barrels a day. Another small disruption WILL cause the price of everything to skyrocket....including FOOD. And....forget getting more Corn Meal and products that were...made from Corn. The Gummit wants it for FUEL. A "FUEL" that deteriorates engine seals and engines.

A nation WITHOUT the PROPER FUEL to operate Planes and Vehicles and other needs for POWER....is a Nation "Enslaved" and sent back to the "Caveman Days".

You idiots....YOU sat around on yer keester's and let the "Enviro-Terrorists" stop us from building any new refineries....and drill for OUR OWN Oil.

Oh....just heard our "Leader" say he was "Looking into tapping into some of our "Oil Reserves". Terrific! Let him tap it out so when we REALLY need this "Power"...it ain't there.

We can be happy little gnomes....peddling along on our bikes and solarpowered motorscooters. Whooopeee-Fizz.....I'm an "American"!

YOU better git goin'...cause da goin' is gonna git rough!

Don Alm....re-stocking my "Y2K" storage room and roto-tilling my backyard

Ankesh March 7, 2011 02:48 AM

Re: The coming DEPRESSION...PART TWO.

Thank You Gordon for doing some Black Swan kind of thinking.

I have one question: even if the worst oil crisis occurs - will USA see Zimbabwe type inflation? The chances are very close to zero. So why worry and spend time on building a garden and starting a co-op? These are low return strategies. But they are highly time intensive too. Time intensive + low returns = bad idea.

Your time can be put at other better uses. To earn more than food prices will ever increase.

So whats the best use of time? Before that - lets talk about the worst use of time...

The worst thing people can do is consume the same information that everyone else is consuming.

"The secret of business is to know something that nobody else knows."- Aristotle Onassis 1906-1975, Shipping Magnate

And yet - the majority of people still get all their news from CNN and Fox and WSJ.

John Paulson didn't make his 5 BILLION Dollars last year watching CNN and Fox!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paulson

He slaved his time digging deep and reading technical reports and finding hidden trends. He leveraged his clients money and bet on various opportunities that he found out just a bit earlier than anyone else.

Isn't that how chatteling works? Find hidden value / information?

But you won't find that information in main stream press. So the first thing to do has to be: stop consuming main stream media.

Instead, spend time doing research that no one else is doing.

There are only a few key words that differentiate the folks who are earning a living from folks who are earning fortunes.

Finding hidden information. Selling. Consistency. Leverage. Parlay.

-TW March 7, 2011 04:57 AM

Ankesh -- I don't get it. What did the 5th guy do?!?!

Please advise!

-- TW

Ankesh March 7, 2011 09:34 AM

Re: Ankesh -- I don't get it. What did the 5th guy do?!?!

The story is from "Those Who Have Ears Let Them Hear" Publishing. Writing what the 5th guy does in a concise manner makes people miss the aha moment. But you're smart and I'm pretty sure you'll get it if you read it again. Especially the only line in the whole essay that is in ALL CAPS.

-TW March 7, 2011 10:37 AM

Is this it? (seriously, I'm not sure)...

The 5th guy took the bricks and went out + did with them exactly what the master did with them -- enlisted (more like CHALLENGED) others to figure out the problem?

and/or he made a PONZI SCHEME out of it (?) -- something like MLM. Which IS one way to "parlay + leverage" limited incoming "riches" -- just like Madoff did.

Am I close? Or are you gonna force me to THINK again? Don't *DO* that! :-)

-- TW

Ankesh March 7, 2011 11:51 AM

Re: Is this it? (seriously, I'm not sure)...

Thanks TW. You're pretty close. Except for the negative connotations you have in your mind - aka with Madoff.

Madoff borrowed money to hide losses. And then borrowed more money to further hide losses. And then borrowed more money to hide even more losses - until it became unsustainable.

Thats not the case with our story.

The lesson is leverage. Leverage other people's resources. If you don't have money, leverage other people's money. If you have money, leverage other people's ideas + hardwork.

There is a lesson of parlaying in it too. But a better parlaying to success story is: http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.com/...lip-story.html

Or google for "doubling to millions" blogs and read the stories. Some awesome stories of parlaying to success.

Cornell March 7, 2011 04:33 PM

Ah-ha...the sobriety and innocence of youth.

[ quote ] I have one question: even if the worst oil crisis occurs - will USA see Zimbabwe type inflation? The chances are very close to zero. So why worry and spend time on building a garden and starting a co-op? These are low return strategies. But they are highly time intensive too. Time intensive + low returns = bad idea.

Your time can be put at other better uses. To earn more than food prices will ever increase. [ end quote ]

Ah-ha...the sobriety and innocence of youth.

Ankesh you are a forward thinker and quite brilliant - proven by your intuitive postings here....but....

your youth may be against you a bit.

Old timers (I am in the same age bracket as GJA) who have experienced the rough times of yesteryear know that it is not just inflation but a matter of supply....doesn't matter how many millions you have if there is nothing to buy.

The oil crisis would slow down and could possibly even interrupt the supply chain leaving not just a scarcity but a total lack....if the farmers have no petrol the crops don't get harvested - at least not in a quantity to supply....could you imagine trying to harvest even 10 acres of wheat by hand let alone thousands.

Those paying attention will find solace in Gordon's words but not just because of just the possible oil crunch....in as little as a possible 10 years....

The plains will no longer produce and the population will lose about 20% of its wheat and corn production....the aquifer (which is non-replenishing) they are drawing from is estimated to go dry by then if the consumption stays at the same rate, but may be extended to 60 years if the water is managed wisely.....but the end game is the same - the water will run out and the dust bowl will return.....and then throw in the wild card...billionaire Pickens buying up all the properties with water rights and piping the water to populated centers as they run dry...thus shortening the term.

Low return strategies? Yes on a monetary basis, but not on a survival basis.

When I was a kid we had 2 acres of garden......it provided our food pretty much all year except for meat (produce that could be frozen was frozen and others stored in a root cellar)...but the excess that we didn't need was either bartered for eggs and chicken or sold to others and that money used to buy other meat forms, flour, yeast (and when there wasn't yeast then sour dough).

It is now March and in 5 days I will be germinating seed for this years garden. I am down to my last few meals now from last years garden - each of the 3 years the supply from the years garden has been extended to last longer. The last 3 years were experimentation years with the garden, and this year, providing the world doesn't go bust in the next 3 months (read as oil shortage and materials needed not readily available) I will be breaking ground on a geodesic dome. If my calculations are correct, and I believe they are, then this dome will provide me with food year round....with no reliance on anyone else, or any outside forces other than Nature for the food.....as long as the sun shines and it rains just a little my family will eat no matter what the economy. And the bonus is it is not genetically modified garbage where all the nutrition has all but been removed - I only grow using heirloom seed and organic methods.

I was going to run another experimental year prior to the dome, but the deciding factor to move on it this season was the prices that are in effect right now for produce....tomatoes have almost tripled and lettuce has tripled....that due to the freezing temperatures that destroyed the crops.....however the cost of gas also entered the scenario because as it climbs the additional transportation charges will be reflected in increased prices ( in the last 3 weeks gas has climbed here from $5.03 per gallon to $5.67 as of yesterday - I haven't been out today to see if it has climbed even more).

Low return strategy...mayhaps financially.....garden saves me about $3000 per year....last week I had to purchase carrots, tomatoes, peppers, and string beans for the first time since last spring...and while the prices were shocking the real disaster was that I was forced to buy tomatoes, peppers, and green beans grown in Mexico. But on the plus side (non-financial) I spend on average 1½ hours a day in the summer months in a tranquil setting with Nature and all the inspiration it provides (better read as quiet time for ponderance and the flow of new creativity). With the dome I anticipate and look forward to spending much more time in a tranquil and creative setting.....not that it will take much more time to maintain, but that it will be a year round haven where in the middle of our northern winters I can sit in Nature with the laptop and just enjoy.

Bad idea...in my opinion not so....I feed my family no matter what transpires, I get a little exercise, spend part of my day basking in a tranquil setting (after the gardening chores are done) all while tending to internet business....for me it is a win/win.

There is one drawback for me with moving gardening into the dome.....the local critters that visited the garden won't be there to keep me company. Last summer I had an 8 foot snake prowling the garden looking for a meal of voles while I was working in it..he/she was only a couple of feet away and was a regular visitor to the garden.....and then there were the 2 baby cottontail rabbits who had taken shelter from the summer heat in the shade of the cucumber plants leaves and just laid there contentedly watching me go about my business, not to mention all the other little insects, etc., that I enjoy mingling with and watching as they carry on their daily and nightly life....these things I will miss.

Ankesh March 8, 2011 01:19 AM

Re: Ah-ha...the sobriety and innocence of youth.

Thanks Cornell for calling me young :)

Its probably more than youth. Its a different perspective living in a different place...

India:
* we are living in a perpetual oil and power crisis. Outside Delhi and Bombay - every city and village in India faces power cuts every week.
* We've seen food prices rise like crazy
* We've seen a terrorist attack on land in the past 4 years
* But at the same time, we've also grown our GDP by 100% in the past 4 years!

On top of that, history shows that:
* the rich never die of hunger. Never. Even during WW2 - rich folks managed to get a distribution of food going on.

So I optimistically claim: its better to specialize and become filthy rich. Then to become self sufficient.

But thats just my opinion. Maybe formed by staying in another country where circumstances differ.

India is facing all the same problems as all the other countries are facing - and a few more. But we are booming like crazy. And thats because our economy opened up only 20 years back. And our population won't mature until 2040-2050.

But who knows - this type of thinking may not be right for a country like USA anymore where you don't see double digit growth rates - even in the best of times.

(An average Indian is still 20 times poor than an average American. But thats down from 40 times poor 4 years ago.)

Saying all that - I love the idea of a geodesic green house! Thats awesome. Would love more details. And pictures and videos too when you start building it. How big is it going to be? Are you going to construct it on your own? This seems fascinating.

Phil March 8, 2011 04:03 AM

“Do not make Recession your Obsession, Just remember to forget it and you’ll be OK” -

Mina Tadros... :)
http://www.quotesdaddy.com/user/Mina/my_quotes/1

Sure! ... Scan and Read all the Negative World's problems...

Realizing the continually Changing economic Ups & Downs is Overwhelming...

Predicting “Recovery” and the Years of Great Times... Success! ... Including the Bad Times Too...

Getting-in on those Winning Trends, Formulas & Smart ideas could be a Valuable Obsession... ;)

Quick Examples... Scanning the News and Looking at Things just a little Differently...

Maybe a few (Cool ideas) worth Brainstorming & Developing with your Own Niche “Twist” on Things! ...

Quickly Scanning the Web is the Key and Never-ending! ...

What Recession? Small Company Enjoys Huge Success Selling Hand-Painted Sanita Clogs
http://www.benzinga.com/press-releas...hand-painted-s

Exclusive ice cream club boasts waitlist of 1,500
Members of MilkMade are willing to shell out $15 to $17 per pint... Very :cool: into other Specialized micro Niche related Clubs (Shhhh!)...
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/419543...ine/?gt1=43001

Growing through a recession
Vancouver’s Sigma Design has had a productive five years, thanks to a company culture that helps propel its success
http://www.columbian.com/news/2011/m...s-sigma-desig/

Can You Game Your Way to Entrepreneurial Success?
http://www.bnet.com/blog/business-my...al-success/772

A Group Buying Site for Rich People! ... And Look who's Doing it...
http://www.entrepreneur.com/blog/219252/

Top Companies Started During a Recession
Is a recession actually a good time to launch a company? From General Electric to Microsoft, some of the biggest names in business were started during tough times.
http://smallbusiness.aol.com/2010/05...g-a-recession/

Good to see Ankesh back on SowPubs! ...

Phil