SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ignore Everybody (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6555)

Bozo September 19, 2009 02:23 PM

Ignore Everybody

I read this book sample last night, and ordered the book today. I'm not an affiliate for this book, just impressed.

Quote:

So you want to be more creative, in art, in business, whatever. Here are some tips that have worked for me over the years.

After reading the sample last night, I woke up early this morning with a dream still fresh in mind.

I was playing tennis and running to hit a high lob shot, looking back over my head tracking the ball. It looked like there was no way I could make the shot and I gave up on it. The next microsecond after giving up I realized that if I hadn't quit on it I could have made the shot.

My next thought was that I should just quit playing if I'm going to only take the easy shots. The next thought, just as I came awake, was that I'd better finish all the projects I've let slide or regret it from now on.

Quote:

9. Everybody has their own private Mount Everest they were put on this earth to climb.

You may never reach the summit; for that you will be forgiven. But if you don’t make at least one serious attempt to get above the snow-line, years later you will find yourself lying on your deathbed, and all you will feel is emptiness.

The author draws cartoons on the back of business cards. I enjoyed those too.

Sandi Bowman September 19, 2009 06:15 PM

Re: Ignore Everybody

Thanks for the recommendation. Didn't see anything new or astounding but it is well done from what I saw.

BTW anyone who is really creative has learned long ago to ignore the rabble rousers of the world, shut their ears to the roar of the crowd and have learned that their feeling of satisfaction MAY be all they get from their efforts. If it works out better than that feeling, well, that's a bonus.

Sandi Bowman

Pappy September 19, 2009 11:53 PM

Hey Sandi... I enjoy your post and agree with a lot of what you say, BUT these 2 comments I'll take exception.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandi Bowman (Post 25284)
Thanks for the recommendation. Didn't see anything new or astounding but it is well done from what I saw.

Reading anything again, no matter how many times you have read it, ESPECIALLY with another author can give you a new perspective.

Example... When I teach a new Bible study, sometimes the way we study the scripture puts a new meaning on a verse that all of us has read many times. Different times in your life, your circumstances, etc... you will view things with a different slant. So it may be really familiar, but just because it is, doesn't mean you shouldn't revisit familiar text.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandi Bowman (Post 25284)
BTW anyone who is really creative has learned long ago to ignore the rabble rousers of the world, shut their ears to the roar of the crowd and have learned that their feeling of satisfaction MAY be all they get from their efforts. If it works out better than that feeling, well, that's a bonus.

Sometimes rousers can cause us to step back and take things more in a logical fashion. Sometimes I can make sense out of situations by looking at the opposite side. Not buying in to what they are saying, but seeing a view that many don't take the to time to explore.

In other words: you can't fight the devil, if you don't know where he's coming from.

Just my thoughts....
Pappy

Sandi Bowman September 20, 2009 04:06 AM

Hi, Pappy! Enjoy your posts, too, but I'm looking at things from a different perspective than you are.

My approach is, when I discover something new and it interests me, I read anything and everything I can get my hands on about it. As a very fast speed reader, I DO cover the waterfront as they say. For me to rehash old stuff is to learn nothing, stagnate, and accomplish nothing. If it's fresh, a different perspective, relative, and current, well I'll take a gander at it. I have a good sized library of books that I do re-read portions of as I study various things and sometimes just for the pleasure and joy of well put together logic and words.

As for the rabble rousers, most of them are one of two things: folks who like to hear their own voice, even if it's nonsensical, or those with an agenda. I ignore the first and listen just long enough to see the basis/arguments of the second...usually first or second paragraph. Rabble rousers are quite transparent once you've been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

Tell you a story about the fallen angel. When I lived in southern California years ago, there was this person who shared some of my college classes, oddly enough. He does actually look like the Devil...in spades! Very soft spoken, seemingly kindly, BUT always there whenever something bad was about to happen to someone good (and not present in a good way...like waiting around to collect the debris). I was the intended victim sometimes...but I was fortunate enough to be surrounded by goodness in others and some very determined protectors from above. For years my guardian angels worked overtime (and kept me on my toes) as this 'man' drifted in and out of my life and the lives of others around me.

I wrote an article entitled "Whose Angel Are You?" years ago. It's based on some of my experiences and is basically an article encouraging others to act to help and protect others as appropriate or needed (not always the same).

Keep up the good work, Pappy.

Sandi Bowman