SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Should I or shouldn't I... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11133)

GordonJ November 18, 2021 03:03 PM

Should I or shouldn't I...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddjj9k3klx...ing2b.pdf?dl=0

This is the start of a promotion for a new work, almost done, but as it has been with several of my most recent efforts, I don't feel like bringing it to the market.

So, group. An opinion is asked for.

Based on what you read at this link, the start of a new promotion for a new work, is there any interest or do you have any suggestions?

My main concern these days, is can I offer it without a lot of support, just don't feel like talking to people these days.

Your opinions, good, bad, positive or negative...would be appreciated.

Gordon (once again sitting on the fence for a new report) A.

Dien Rice November 19, 2021 02:07 PM

Re: Should I or shouldn't I...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 42461)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddjj9k3klx...ing2b.pdf?dl=0

This is the start of a promotion for a new work, almost done, but as it has been with several of my most recent efforts, I don't feel like bringing it to the market.

So, group. An opinion is asked for.

Based on what you read at this link, the start of a new promotion for a new work, is there any interest or do you have any suggestions?

My main concern these days, is can I offer it without a lot of support, just don't feel like talking to people these days.

Your opinions, good, bad, positive or negative...would be appreciated.

Gordon (once again sitting on the fence for a new report) A.

Hi Gordon,

Personally, I love it!

I keep a list of broad preoccupations - so I can "hit" them when I want!

(Preoccupations for a niche may be different than those for the broad public...)

Some preoccupations are short-term, and some are long-term or keep repeating...

A shorter-term one might be Alec Baldwin shooting someone dead on set... It was all the buzz a few weeks ago... but now the buzz has died down again to almost zero...

A repeating / longer-term one I'm guessing will be Prince Harry and Meghan Markle... They seem to come up in the general "conversation" over and over and over...

It's a powerful thing... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

GordonJ November 19, 2021 03:28 PM

I will, once again, reveal a secret...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 42462)
Hi Gordon,

Personally, I love it!

I keep a list of broad preoccupations - so I can "hit" them when I want!

(Preoccupations for a niche may be different than those for the broad public...)

Some preoccupations are short-term, and some are long-term or keep repeating...

A shorter-term one might be Alec Baldwin shooting someone dead on set... It was all the buzz a few weeks ago... but now the buzz has died down again to almost zero...

A repeating / longer-term one I'm guessing will be Prince Harry and Meghan Markle... They seem to come up in the general "conversation" over and over and over...

It's a powerful thing... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

Thanks Dien.

Now this: a secret I revealed earlier this year...

The single greatest action response mechanism is an appeal to ....

wait for it...

insecurity.

Applying the secret does require a little thinking. Pop culture moments, and even news events, such as today's Rittenhouse acquittal have a short time cycle although they can create ongoing debates. Such as gun control.

Be it the control of a prop gun on a movie set or the publically carrying an assault rifle (like they do in 3rd worlds, like Afghanistan??) to a rally/protest/march...

As seen through a marketer's eye, they have limited shelf life, although as with the gun debate and the 2nd amendment and all, a lot of money to be made taking a side and beign loud about it.

But on close examination, we can see the insecurtiy lurking in the Rittenhouses of the world.

No matter what one is offering, if they look for that little bit of human fraility that chink in the human armor, where all of us have a bit of the insecure in us...and an APPEAL is made to that...it is a powerful motivator, one of the fastest triggers to be pulled to get a reaction.

So, we can be aware of TOPICAL preoccupations, but their best use is to tie them to a deeper more lifelong preoccupation such as money, or health or ego...then we have a one two combo knock out punch.

Now there is a realative new aspect, the vicarious living through celebrity which may be an affliction of the Alphas.

Anyhow. I think many, if not most, who visit SowPub business forum, have some money making business in mind, and my opinion is they are being well served here.

Gordon

Dien Rice November 20, 2021 02:49 AM

This explains a lot...

Hi Gordon,

Wow, this is a big point... I'm going to have to try using this myself...

People's insecurities I think can explain the popularity of a lot of things...

You just need to look at a lot of popular political radio and TV shows (on both sides) to see this!

You've opened my eyes to something I hadn't quite realized before...

Thanks Gordon... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 42464)
Thanks Dien.

Now this: a secret I revealed earlier this year...

The single greatest action response mechanism is an appeal to ....

wait for it...

insecurity.

Applying the secret does require a little thinking. Pop culture moments, and even news events, such as today's Rittenhouse acquittal have a short time cycle although they can create ongoing debates. Such as gun control.

Be it the control of a prop gun on a movie set or the publically carrying an assault rifle (like they do in 3rd worlds, like Afghanistan??) to a rally/protest/march...

As seen through a marketer's eye, they have limited shelf life, although as with the gun debate and the 2nd amendment and all, a lot of money to be made taking a side and beign loud about it.

But on close examination, we can see the insecurtiy lurking in the Rittenhouses of the world.

No matter what one is offering, if they look for that little bit of human fraility that chink in the human armor, where all of us have a bit of the insecure in us...and an APPEAL is made to that...it is a powerful motivator, one of the fastest triggers to be pulled to get a reaction.

So, we can be aware of TOPICAL preoccupations, but their best use is to tie them to a deeper more lifelong preoccupation such as money, or health or ego...then we have a one two combo knock out punch.

Now there is a realative new aspect, the vicarious living through celebrity which may be an affliction of the Alphas.

Anyhow. I think many, if not most, who visit SowPub business forum, have some money making business in mind, and my opinion is they are being well served here.

Gordon

GordonJ November 20, 2021 02:00 PM

A read through Bud Weckesser's ads and you will find...

Now that your eyes are open, stare at this for a minute...

Judgements.

It is almost 80% of the foundation of insecurity.

Take Bud's weight loss ads. Some of his best started out about being fat shamed...or embarrasment. Think of the Charles Atlas ad about having sand kicked in your face...

the easiest way to get attention is to use an image (let the reader create this in her mind) of their insecurity related to that promotion.

Read a list of the all time great ads, and you quickly see that my 80% is probably way LOW.

After enough money is made to take one up a color on the Maslow Pryamid and before self actualization where they give the money away...lies the vast majority who feel those above them are judging and maybe even laughing at them...maybe for make MISTAKES in English (old ad reference).

But the real secret is not only knowing this...but using specific words or specific preoccupational interrupters at the intersection. Being stared at is very different from being seen, although both refer to someone looking, eh?

It is hard to keep these right in front of you to use while crafting messages, but sometimes a WHITEBOARD with a little POP on it helps, the POP should have the Target's insecurity around their bubble.

It is all starting to make sense.

Isn't it?

Gordon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 42467)
Hi Gordon,

Wow, this is a big point... I'm going to have to try using this myself...

People's insecurities I think can explain the popularity of a lot of things...

You just need to look at a lot of popular political radio and TV shows (on both sides) to see this!

You've opened my eyes to something I hadn't quite realized before...

Thanks Gordon... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

Dien Rice November 21, 2021 02:05 PM

I started going through my own "swipe file" of ads...

Hi Gordon,

This is GREAT!

I started going through some of my favorite ads in my own ad collection (or "swipe file")...

And you're right - being negatively JUDGED is a big emotional appeal that many proven direct response advertisers appeal to!

By the way, for those who are looking, you can see some Bud Weckesser ads here...

https://swiped.co/person/green-tree-press/

I'm definitely going to add this approach to my own ad-writing...

This is powerful...

Thanks Gordon!

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 42468)
Now that your eyes are open, stare at this for a minute...

Judgements.

It is almost 80% of the foundation of insecurity.

Take Bud's weight loss ads. Some of his best started out about being fat shamed...or embarrasment. Think of the Charles Atlas ad about having sand kicked in your face...

the easiest way to get attention is to use an image (let the reader create this in her mind) of their insecurity related to that promotion.

Read a list of the all time great ads, and you quickly see that my 80% is probably way LOW.

After enough money is made to take one up a color on the Maslow Pryamid and before self actualization where they give the money away...lies the vast majority who feel those above them are judging and maybe even laughing at them...maybe for make MISTAKES in English (old ad reference).

But the real secret is not only knowing this...but using specific words or specific preoccupational interrupters at the intersection. Being stared at is very different from being seen, although both refer to someone looking, eh?

It is hard to keep these right in front of you to use while crafting messages, but sometimes a WHITEBOARD with a little POP on it helps, the POP should have the Target's insecurity around their bubble.

It is all starting to make sense.

Isn't it?

Gordon