SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   20,000 on the webinar. Netflix exec. (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10909)

GordonJ February 5, 2021 10:58 AM

20,000 on the webinar. Netflix exec.

Yesterday, a webinar sponsored by Stage32 with Netflix executive Chris Mack on how to pitch to Netflix.

Twenty thousand people showed up and judging from responses today, it appears thousands more could not get in.

Netflix, worried the Covid-19 would diminish viewers, has added 40 million new subscribers during this time period with over 200 million and a viewership of over 400 million, due to shared accounts.

Mr. Mack gave us a good overview of what Netflix buys, although, not the WHERE to pitch. 20k people spent two hours of their time, from 190 countries around the world, each with a hope to sell their wares to Netflix.

I'm sure it wasn't an oversight, they are probably inundated with pitches.

We marketers like to talk about markets, niches and a starving crowd. Well Stage32 (I've had negative experiences with them, so far) has certainly set up their food truck in the middle of a starving crowd.

Any other aspiring TV showrunners out there?

Gordon

Dien Rice February 7, 2021 01:47 AM

The entertainment gold rush...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 41573)
Yesterday, a webinar sponsored by Stage32 with Netflix executive Chris Mack on how to pitch to Netflix.

Twenty thousand people showed up and judging from responses today, it appears thousands more could not get in.

Netflix, worried the Covid-19 would diminish viewers, has added 40 million new subscribers during this time period with over 200 million and a viewership of over 400 million, due to shared accounts.

Mr. Mack gave us a good overview of what Netflix buys, although, not the WHERE to pitch. 20k people spent two hours of their time, from 190 countries around the world, each with a hope to sell their wares to Netflix.

I'm sure it wasn't an oversight, they are probably inundated with pitches.

We marketers like to talk about markets, niches and a starving crowd. Well Stage32 (I've had negative experiences with them, so far) has certainly set up their food truck in the middle of a starving crowd.

Any other aspiring TV showrunners out there?

Hi Gordon,

Wow, people are clearly very HUNGRY to pitch their shows!

It reminds me of that saying (with many variations)...

"In a gold rush, sell shovels..."

The entertainment industry (actors, singers, musicians, script writers, and so on) seems to be in a perpetual "gold rush"...

This is a great example of "selling shovels to gold miners"...

You're giving me ideas... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

GordonJ February 7, 2021 03:56 PM

The hunger to be...

A million is an extremely conservative estimate here:

1M think they can write a movie or TV show.
1M think they can write a novel.
1M want to be models.
10M want to be famous, ala Kardashian style.

There are millions and millions of HUNGRY people out there, and spending billions on shovels in search of their golden moment in the sun.

To BE or not to be...is the questions sez young Bill S.

If to be, then BUY THIS...

NOW. The only copywriting secret needed to make moolah, eh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 41577)
Hi Gordon,

Wow, people are clearly very HUNGRY to pitch their shows!

It reminds me of that saying (with many variations)...

"In a gold rush, sell shovels..."

The entertainment industry (actors, singers, musicians, script writers, and so on) seems to be in a perpetual "gold rush"...

This is a great example of "selling shovels to gold miners"...

You're giving me ideas... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

Dien Rice February 14, 2021 12:54 PM

"...a starving crowd..."

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 41580)
A million is an extremely conservative estimate here:

1M think they can write a movie or TV show.
1M think they can write a novel.
1M want to be models.
10M want to be famous, ala Kardashian style.

There are millions and millions of HUNGRY people out there, and spending billions on shovels in search of their golden moment in the sun.

To BE or not to be...is the questions sez young Bill S.

If to be, then BUY THIS...

NOW. The only copywriting secret needed to make moolah, eh?

Hi Gordon,

A starving crowd...!

I think what has thrown me is when the "starving crowd" changes... Which has happened in these chaotic times!

That's when you gotta go back to basics... And find the "starving crowd" again... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

GordonJ February 14, 2021 01:38 PM

SQ1, Maslow and the basics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 41600)
Hi Gordon,

A starving crowd...!

I think what has thrown me is when the "starving crowd" changes... Which has happened in these chaotic times!

That's when you gotta go back to basics... And find the "starving crowd" again... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

The basic needs haven't changed.

And the Modified Maslow (SQ1) will always have hunger...for....

Relationships

Ideas (Thoughts)

Food, clothing, shelter

Spiritual hunger

Money

Also, Parade of Life refocuses the hunger...wasn't long ago you probably never thought about diapers, eh?

Stick with the SQ1, and you'll never have to worry about shifts, changes or trends.

Gordon