SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   Original SOWPub Forum Archive (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Your favorite email client... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2205)

John David Bradshaw January 24, 2002 11:56 PM

Your favorite email client...

To send and receive email, I am using Netscape mail...an old version 3.04, I think. But it doesn't have any filters that I know of, and I am getting tired of all the junk I receive in my inbox every day.

I could use Outlook Express in IE5, but so many of the worms and viruses seem to be written especially for Outlook, so I have avoided using it.

I know a little about Pegasus and Eudora, but not enough to make an intelligent choice. Which is better? Which has the better filters? Which can handle an email newsletter? Is there something better than either one?

Any input would be appreciated...

JDB

Marye January 25, 2002 10:27 AM

Re: Your favorite email client...

Both Eudora and Pegasus are good, but I chose Pegasus. The reason I did is that in previewing messages on the server with Pegasus, it's straight-forward.

Pegasus is free. As in UNIX type free-Excellent product that has been around for decades. It uses regular expressions, which adds a great deal of functionality to the setting up of filters.

Lately, I have used a program called Mail Washer, which allows the preview of subject and senders at the server level, but it gives you the opportunity to mark them "bounce" and/or delete. The beauty of this is that if mark it bounce, a message is sent to the sender that your email address is not found, and you're promptly removed from that list.

The product is free, though the developer requests a donation of a few dollars. Well worth it!

http://www.mailwasher.net. It works with web based servers, as long as you know the pop3 mailbox of the provider.

Mary

Marye January 25, 2002 10:29 AM

Mail Washer is in ADDITION to Pegasus, not INSTEAD. (DNO)

John David Bradshaw January 25, 2002 11:22 PM

Thanks for your suggestions, Mary! (DNO)

Dan Butler January 26, 2002 01:18 AM

Re: Pegasus vs. Eudora...

Hi John ~

Mary layed out the clients pretty well. Pegasus is the more powerful of the two but it also is the more complex. It will grow on you. So what I've recommended to people is to use Pegasus if they don't mind the learning curve intially. If they balk at all I point them to Eudora. Either choice is a good one.

The good news is which ever you choose it will be easy work to get your old mail transferred in. More info on that if you need it.

Paul Myers wrote a nice email course that centers around Pegasus but would be applicable to any client. It's free - let me know if you need the address for it and I'll dig up.

~ Dan Butler

ps - I sent you an email last week. Just wondering if you got it or if it got lost in the tide of spam. Seems my spam is *way* up since the first of the year.

Susan January 26, 2002 03:22 PM

Dan

I would like to have this email course by Paul Myers, can you give me the address please.

Regards,
Susan.

Hi John ~

> Mary layed out the clients pretty well.
> Pegasus is the more powerful of the two but
> it also is the more complex. It will grow on
> you. So what I've recommended to people is
> to use Pegasus if they don't mind the
> learning curve intially. If they balk at all
> I point them to Eudora. Either choice is a
> good one.

> The good news is which ever you choose it
> will be easy work to get your old mail
> transferred in. More info on that if you
> need it.

> Paul Myers wrote a nice email course that
> centers around Pegasus but would be
> applicable to any client. It's free - let me
> know if you need the address for it and I'll
> dig up.

> ~ Dan Butler

> ps - I sent you an email last week. Just
> wondering if you got it or if it got lost in
> the tide of spam. Seems my spam is *way* up
> since the first of the year.

Rick Smith January 26, 2002 10:04 PM

Susan -

> I would like to have this email course by
> Paul Myers, can you give me the address
> please.

If Dan hasn't sent it to you, I think I have it also. I can send it to you.

Rick Smith, "The Net Guerrilla"

Click Here to Learn How to Get a Great New Life in 10 Days With No New Year's Resolutions!

Rick Smith January 26, 2002 10:08 PM

Re: Your favorite email client...

JDB -

> I know a little about Pegasus and Eudora,
> but not enough to make an intelligent
> choice. Which is better? Which has the
> better filters? Which can handle an email
> newsletter? Is there something better than
> either one?

I have been using Pegasus for *years*. They just came out with a new version. The URL is pmail.com. I just checked and it works fine. Get the 4.0 whatever version. That's the latest. It's free and it works well. *And* it's immune to the nonsense that hammers Microsoft based readers.

Rick Smith, "The Net Guerrilla"

Click Here to Learn How to Get a Great New Life in 10 Days With No New Year's Resolutions!

Dan Butler January 27, 2002 12:57 AM

Hi Susan ~

Rick may have sent this to you already. If not and for everyone else here's how to get Paul's course. It's on autoresponder and very good. Just send email to:

[email protected]

And the rest will take care of itself.

~ Dan Butler

Can this book save you an hour a week at your computer?

John David Bradshaw January 27, 2002 05:05 PM

Dan,

Thanks for the feedback. I have downloaded Pegasus and installed it on my computer...now I just need to learn how to best use it features.

> Paul Myers wrote a nice email course that
> centers around Pegasus but would be
> applicable to any client. It's free - let me
> know if you need the address for it and I'll
> dig it up.

I found the link below in a later post of yours.
Thanks...I'll see what Paul has to say about it.

> ~ Dan Butler

> ps - I sent you an email last week. Just
> wondering if you got it or if it got lost in
> the tide of spam. Seems my spam is *way* up
> since the first of the year.

My belated response to your email is on the way...

JDB

Auctions 101...OAB2002