SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   YouTube Money (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10247)

Samir November 7, 2018 12:08 PM

YouTube Money

Hey everyone, remember me? The Easily Doable Balloon Business guy. I hope you're all doing well. It's been a while since my last visit here. I am no longer in the balloon business but I am doing very well and I am here to pay it forward. I was skimming through some recent posts here and found some great ideas being shared. I would also like to make a contribution and it’s along the lines of the post by Brent Whinfield “A Lucrative No Competition Niche”. Except, what I am about to share has a healthy competition but it can still be lucrative for the right person. One caution though. If you’re only interested in opportunities that bring instant monetary gratification, this is definitely not for you.

Ok, here goes…

I’m sure you’ve all heard of people making lots of money on YouTube. YouTube is great for all kinds of ‘talents’ whether you’re great at being spontaneous or just good at making a recording of yourself eating candy ( This video has over 8 million views and has probably earned this young lady $6000-$8000: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgk34euy4zo ) . So why doesn’t everybody just quit their jobs and become YouTubers? There are many reasons but the top three things (based on an informal survey) that stop many people from becoming a YouTuber is:

1. The requirement to constantly create new content
2. Being comfortable recording a video of themselves
3. Being confident in speaking/presenting themselves in a manner that the audience finds captivating

Can one become a YouTuber without creating their own content? YES!

Have you ever searched for a song on YouTube and found search results that show “Lyrics” for that song (like this one from a friend of mine who just started a week ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAUV...JRq tbvNLojAa ). The folks who do this download the song first, then add lyrics and upload the song back on their own YouTube channel. They don’t make any money on the songs because all songs are copyright protected. So why do it? Because it’s the quickest way to build subscribers with no marketing at all. Once you have a million + subscribers, which is not difficult to achieve, you WILL be contacted by Artists, Marketers, Promoters, to promote their videos. That is when you get paid big. Also, as you’re building your subscribers, you can earn money by adding relevant affiliate links in the Video description. Want to go Niche? Focus on a specific Music Genre or just happy songs or just sad songs or just workout songs, you get my point.

Any questions?

Dien Rice November 7, 2018 03:31 PM

Brilliant! I could use this... and a question... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samir (Post 39414)
Hey everyone, remember me? The Easily Doable Balloon Business guy. I hope you're all doing well. It's been a while since my last visit here. I am no longer in the balloon business but I am doing very well and I am here to pay it forward. I was skimming through some recent posts here and found some great ideas being shared. I would also like to make a contribution and it’s along the lines of the post by Brent Whinfield “A Lucrative No Competition Niche”. Except, what I am about to share has a healthy competition but it can still be lucrative for the right person. One caution though. If you’re only interested in opportunities that bring instant monetary gratification, this is definitely not for you.

Ok, here goes…

I’m sure you’ve all heard of people making lots of money on YouTube. YouTube is great for all kinds of ‘talents’ whether you’re great at being spontaneous or just good at making a recording of yourself eating candy ( This video has over 8 million views and has probably earned this young lady $6000-$8000: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgk34euy4zo ) . So why doesn’t everybody just quit their jobs and become YouTubers? There are many reasons but the top three things (based on an informal survey) that stop many people from becoming a YouTuber is:

3. Being confident in speaking/presenting themselves in a manner that the audience finds captivating

Have you ever searched for a song on YouTube and found search results that show “Lyrics” for that song (like this one from a friend of mine who just started a week ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAUV...JRq tbvNLojAa ). The folks who do this download the song first, then add lyrics and upload the song back on their own YouTube channel. They don’t make any money on the songs because all songs are copyright protected. So why do it? Because it’s the quickest way to build subscribers with no marketing at all. Once you have a million + subscribers, which is not difficult to achieve, you WILL be contacted by Artists, Marketers, Promoters, to promote their videos. That is when you get paid big. Also, as you’re building your subscribers, you can earn money by adding relevant affiliate links in the Video description. Want to go Niche? Focus on a specific Music Genre or just happy songs or just sad songs or just workout songs, you get my point.

Any questions?

Wow, Samir, awesome post!

This is (in a weird way) super-relevant to me right now... Though in a different way...

I'm doing a "sideline" as a band manager (I actually manage two bands). I'm not too bad (if I say so myself) with Facebook marketing... I can usually get a decent amount of people (100+) to show up to a gig.

However, YouTube has eluded me. I've found it's harder to get local "virality" on YouTube. (Maybe one difference is I'm going for a local population, as my focus is basically getting people to show up to gigs.)

However, I can see how this could work in building up an audience for bands...

I guess you're targeting what people are already looking for (i.e. songs they already like), and building from there... I love it!

I'm curious, once you've built up an audience, how do you promote other people's videos? Do you post their videos on your own YouTube channel? Or maybe a snippet, redirecting people to the other person's channel to watch the whole thing?

I'm actually interested in this from both points of view - as someone who might try it out, as well as someone who might be willing to be a customer (in my role as band manager)... :)

Best wishes!

Dien

Samir November 7, 2018 11:06 PM

Re: Brilliant! I could use this... and a question... :)

Thank you Dien. The preferred way to promote other people's videos is by posting them on your channel and adding info about the artist in the description. So if you were promoting a song for a new/unknown artist, you would add links in the description for where the song can be purchased. You would also add links to the artist's social media accounts, their subscription list etc.

Dien Rice November 11, 2018 02:21 AM

YouTube Money vs YouTube burnout!

Quote:

I’m sure you’ve all heard of people making lots of money on YouTube.

Hi Samir,

Thanks again for sharing this...

I was just reading about "YouTube burnout". Many very successful YouTubers are suffering burnout... The pressure to keep producing videos regularly is wearing them out. So much so that one who makes $6 million bucks a year from his videos is complaining about what a tough job it is! (I don't think he got much sympathy...)

Your approach is a million times better... Less pressure, less stress, and relatively smooth sailing. You'll never run out of material!

It's pretty awesome... :)

There must be other variants on this... Though I'll have to brainstorm to think what they could be... :)

Best wishes,

Dien
(Aspiring YouTuber!)

Samir November 12, 2018 09:30 AM

Re: YouTube Money vs YouTube burnout!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 39420)

There must be other variants on this... Though I'll have to brainstorm to think what they could be... :)

Hi Dien, there are many variants on reusing existing content. For example, there are people who take individual funny videos and stitch together a Funny videos compilation of their own. To me, that's a lot more work.

Anyways, if you're seriously thinking of re-posting songs after adding lyrics, be sure to check out YouTube's Music Policy page first. It will tell you which songs you can and cannot use: https://www.youtube.com/music_policies

Thanks
-Samir

EmmaCohen57 December 21, 2018 02:56 AM

Re: YouTube Money

Quote:

Ok, here goes…

Any questions?

Very interesting idea indeed and actually sounds like something that makes sense and could work!

I found being a youtuber to be similiar to any other work. Sure, you have a bit more freedom but you have to be consistent if you want to succeed.

Thanks again for the imput and good idea.

EmmaCohen57 December 21, 2018 02:57 AM

Re: YouTube Money

Very interesting idea indeed and actually sounds like something that makes sense and could work!

I found being a youtuber to be similiar to any other work. Sure, you have a bit more freedom but you have to be consistent if you want to succeed.

Thanks again for the imput and good idea.

Emma