SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Lemonade Stand (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7976)

Richard Dennis February 24, 2012 05:29 PM

The Lemonade Stand

What happened when John Stossel wanted to set up a lemonade stand in New York City?

Pretty interesting.

Richard

GordonJ February 24, 2012 09:58 PM

Maybe not with a food item...but

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dennis (Post 30168)
What happened when John Stossel wanted to set up a lemonade stand in New York City?

Pretty interesting.

Richard

Bananas. Come in boxes full of spiders. Who knows what else? What safety measures are our paid off politcos and bureaucrats doing to protect us from foreign food sources? About as much as winning the war on drugs, eh?

So, it is often better to Ask Forgiveness than to seek permission...as the old saw goes.

Maybe not with lemons or hot dogs, better plan on it. It being the red tape, the life blood of burOcrats...

Maybe the girl scouts could sell Internet Marketing Courses on how to make cookies from home...and then others could sell their courses, ala affiliate programs. With an upsell and forced continuity, hey, they could get as rich as Frank Kern. NO?

Enter Tiny the tow truck driver, the 300 pound behemoth who is debt free, works mostly in an all cash business, buying and selling things.

I wonder when the garage sale holder is going to have fill out paperwork on every 10 cent book she sells? Won't be long.

There is a huge market, growing bigger by the day as some people just want to fly low and collect the dough...the day may come soon enough it won't be allowed.

No more bake sales at elementary schools.
No more door to door fund raisers.
No more lemonade stands.

Let's create more jobs YEA YEA YEA, until you SEE the jobs being created are for more and more gov't workers...

I like what is happening to the Post Office, couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people...

We need some regulations, of course. But hows about a tich of common sense to go along with it?

We have faith in the banana grower, shipper, trucker, stocker and store owner...but to put a home lemonade stand out of business because they don't know where the lemons come from...

Sour grapes to me and shame on them.

GJA

PS. It isn't too late to learn a few tricks re: fly low and collect the dough.

OH, one last note. GIGO

Bozo February 24, 2012 11:24 PM

Health Regulations

Our local newspaper used to publish the results of the health inspections of the various food service places. If you read those regularly, you'd never go out to eat again.

Anyway, I got curious about the actual rules and looked into them. One section I found defined how to calibrate the thermometers they require to be used in refrigerators, freezers, and hot holding areas.

Part of the test said to put the thermometer into boiling water and note that it read 212 deg F.

My town is at 3,200 ft mean sea level, and the rules were written in a town at approximately 6,000 ft MSL, by people who have never had a single science class...or slept through the whole thing. There is not a single location in my whole state, where water will reach 212 deg unless it's inside a pressure cooker.

That means that there isn't one thermometer in New Mexico that will meet the health regulations.

There is no way to comply with all their crap. They put the rules out there, and selectively enforce whatever suits their fancy. New Mexico is known for government corruption. After every election the new guys investigate the old guys, and the old guys go to jail.

Phil February 25, 2012 12:19 AM

Especially Fly low and Collect the dough Re-workable 2012-2020... ;)

You can Never have Too much SowPub Lemonade related reading, Ideas and More...

Googling Lemon Entrepreneurial business models etc... Especially Fly low and Collect the dough Re-workable 2012-2020... ;)

Make sure you {Click & Keep Digging into and Throughout} ...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next! ...
http://www.google.com/search?q=lemon...w=1366&bih=665

Google Lessons and A Quick Google related [Education] Too if you're Getting the message(s)... :cool:

The Sourest Lemons make the Sweetest Lemonade! ...

All the best...

Phil

GordonJ February 25, 2012 11:22 AM

Regulations on cleaning headlights...to avoid visits from the cops...

To avoid the cops coming...

I never (well hardly ever) quote a price, say of 15 bux a lens, then when he tries to get a lower price, do I then say,

I couldn't do it for less than 25 a lens.

HE, looking amazed replies: But you just said 15???

ME (HA!) You rejected that price, this is the new offer, 25 dollars a lens.

Next thing you know, cops flying to the scene of the crime...rumor has it, they (the fuzz) are targeting people who consume too many b b q samichs in a week...seems to be a correlation between b b q consumption and scammers....

NOT me baby, I follows the rules...PERIOD.

John Jacobs

Bozo February 25, 2012 12:41 PM

Re: Regulations on cleaning headlights...to avoid visits from the cops...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 30174)
To avoid the cops coming...

I never (well hardly ever) quote a price, say of 15 bux a lens, then when he tries to get a lower price, do I then say,

I couldn't do it for less than 25 a lens.

HE, looking amazed replies: But you just said 15???

ME (HA!) You rejected that price, this is the new offer, 25 dollars a lens.

Next thing you know, cops flying to the scene of the crime...rumor has it, they (the fuzz) are targeting people who consume too many b b q samichs in a week...seems to be a correlation between b b q consumption and scammers....

NOT me baby, I follows the rules...PERIOD.

John Jacobs

Business is a very serious business, and some people can't take a joke...even when it's not a joke.

Richard Dennis February 25, 2012 03:27 PM

Re: Sorry, Boz

Boz,

I'm very sorry, but I really can't let you get away with this. I drove a bus for the Dade County government (Miami) for 16 years, and I take some pride in the certainty that I have more first-hand experience with government corruption and stupidity than anybody else on SOWPUB.

I got a million of 'em, just from working for one agency in one county in one state in the U.S. How about this quickie as an example:

In 2009, a night janitor at the Transit Agency was finally cleaning out a cubicle that had been empty for several weeks, on the 16th floor of the Agency's Overtown office complex. He opened a file and found ... about $10,000 in cash. Plus about $15,000 in uncashed checks.

The janitor, bless his heart, turns this all in to his supervisor. Investigation begins. The employee who had been in the cubicle was responsible for the Transit Agency's Visitor Pass program. He sold Visitor Passes and took in the cash and the checks.

The Agency had not set up any system for depositing the $$. Guy asked his supervisor more than once, but never got any answer. So he stuck the cash and checks in a file each day for 2 1/2 years. County never wondered why no $$ was coming in from all the Visitor Passes. The employee's questions of what to do with it were never answered.

He got another job and left the Agency. He just moved out of his cubicle and left it all there. Police said the loss may have been as much as $120,000, but how could anybody prove anything? There were no records.

This story highlights the #1 problem with every form of government: it's not their money. If it was their money, they would care. But since it's just taxpayer's money, then losing it is no big deal. There's always more where that came from.

Richard

sandalwood February 25, 2012 07:45 PM

Re: Sorry, Boz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dennis (Post 30177)
Boz,

I'm very sorry, but I really can't let you get away with this. I drove a bus for the Dade County government (Miami) for 16 years, and I take some pride in the certainty that I have more first-hand experience with government corruption and stupidity than anybody else on SOWPUB.

I got a million of 'em, just from working for one agency in one county in one state in the U.S. How about this quickie as an example:

In 2009, a night janitor at the Transit Agency was finally cleaning out a cubicle that had been empty for several weeks, on the 16th floor of the Agency's Overtown office complex. He opened a file and found ... about $10,000 in cash. Plus about $15,000 in uncashed checks.

The janitor, bless his heart, turns this all in to his supervisor. Investigation begins. The employee who had been in the cubicle was responsible for the Transit Agency's Visitor Pass program. He sold Visitor Passes and took in the cash and the checks.

The Agency had not set up any system for depositing the $$. Guy asked his supervisor more than once, but never got any answer. So he stuck the cash and checks in a file each day for 2 1/2 years. County never wondered why no $$ was coming in from all the Visitor Passes. The employee's questions of what to do with it were never answered.

He got another job and left the Agency. He just moved out of his cubicle and left it all there. Police said the loss may have been as much as $120,000, but how could anybody prove anything? There were no records.

This story highlights the #1 problem with every form of government: it's not their money. If it was their money, they would care. But since it's just taxpayer's money, then losing it is no big deal. There's always more where that came from.

Richard

Richard,

Great story. Not to steal your thunder but here is a bank auditor story. At least that was the title in the 80's. His office was the one to respond to bank robberies. If the cops had the robbers, they went there first instead of the bank.

When I asked him why, he said they wanted to be sure they could get as much money as possible before the cops had their opportunity to split most of the pie. He gave me several examples which I will spare you in this post.

How could they get away with it? Easy, they won't rat each other out and believe it or not, the bank in a lot of cases doesn't know the exact amount the robbers got away with.

I also spent 20 years in the Air Force. The military at ground level isn't immune either.

Oh well, what the hell...

Bozo February 25, 2012 11:02 PM

Mere petty thieves

I see your $120,000, and your bank robber robbers, and raise you $4.4 million.

Manny Aragon! A great leader.

Quote:

Aragon last year pleaded guilty to three federal felony counts of conspiracy and mail fraud in a scheme to defraud the state of nearly $4.4 million in the construction of the Bernalillo County Metropolitan Courthouse in Albuquerque.

Full article.

Richard Dennis February 26, 2012 10:33 AM

Re: Mere petty thieves

From the article you linked to:

Quote:

U.S. Attorney Greg Fouratt declared after Tuesday's hearing that "the era of picking the taxpayers' pockets is over."

Hallelujah! Government graft and corruption is finally a thing of the past in New Mexico. So Boz, your state is now a beacon of honesty for the rest of us to follow ...