SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   An easy-peasy way to get started in toll position strategy... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6371)

-TW May 8, 2009 10:18 AM

An easy-peasy way to get started in toll position strategy...

Go to various locations of craigslist (different states + cities) -- look under "services - creative" or even the biz classifieds.

Find people who are genuine + have a legit service or product that can be provided remotely (the person doesn't have to *be there*).

Then use your brain to find other people or biz's that (COULD) need that product/service.

Then link them up in a JV where you get some of the $$ from either direction, or both.

There are people with products or services who are just DYING to get hooked up woth a need SOMEWHERE out there, but they don't know how and/or have no motivation and/or are just plain not outgoing enough.

-- TW

Adman May 9, 2009 12:15 PM

Re: An easy-peasy way to get started in toll position strategy...

I found a good "Web Designer" and "Software Programmer" there.

And...relating to "TOLL Positions";

1) Get a GOOD Domain Name for specific Niche (YourTownsBestItalianRestaurant.com)
2) Make up a Sample website for this Niche
3) Make up a Giant PostCard with a picture of the front page and that this website was for Rent to the first one who wanted to pay the Rental Fee. (You can also charge a SetUp Fee to use their Photos and Text)...and send it to 10 to 20 Niche members.

Now....you do NOT have to "see" anyone In-Person. This can all be handled via Phone, Fax and email.

Then...when you have 100 of these sites paying YOU thousands a month for your "TOLL-POSITION"....go on Vacation for the rest of your life!

Ohh....the GREAT thing about THIS kind of "Toll-Position" is....your clients are COMING AFTER YOU....WANTING what YOU have!....and willing to PAY handsomely for it.

And...if any of your "Renters" choose to Stop Renting....it is VERY EASY to Replace them.

Don Alm

-TW May 10, 2009 02:53 AM

Don -- someone's making a big deal out of that strategy...

http://www.linkuwant.com/website/index.php

Cheers.

-- TW

PS: I looked over the site more carefully. Apparently they have bought at least 10,000+ domain names -- all "on spec" -- they must be pretty confident they can turn a profit with the %'s they've worked out. It doesn't seem likely to me -- but they must know something i don't, I guess.

Brother May 11, 2009 08:14 PM

Re: Don -- someone's making a big deal out of that strategy...

Maybe, maybe not. Don't see many sites "active". These type of sites sometimes start off with a big idea, and just vanish with the wind in a couple years.

-TW May 11, 2009 08:45 PM

Maybe the 'active' ones are taken off the viewable list. Also, if it isn't working, they're out quite a bit of $$$ -- From what I can see, they've bought 10,000+ names -- hoping it'll all pay off %-wise.

Adman May 11, 2009 09:18 PM

Yup....the site you refer to, IMHO, has NO IDEA....on "How To Sell or Make Money"!

Anyone with a few thousand dollars can "Buy" Domain Names and...yes, a FEW,...very FEW of these Domain Grabbers have...made money BUT...just take a CLOSE LOOK at the Domains Offered. They're just a bunch of "Names".

Put yourself in the shoes of ANYONE looking at this site and these hundreds of names and ask yourself;

"Self! WHY would I want THIS Domain...or THAT one...or ANY of them?"

"For WHAT REASON would I want to send these folks any of my hard-earned dough?"

So...as I've found in the last 15 yrs, "playing" with domains (I have registered MY share)....just grabbing domains is a waste of time and money. Unless you have a REASON WHY someone should PAY for your domain...you will spend the next few years RENEWING those domains!

So...these type of biz will either;
1) Run out of Money to Renew all their domains
or
2) Realize their "stable of domains" can't be SOLD...at least, by them!

Don Alm

-TW May 11, 2009 11:49 PM

Don -- how would you make it better?...

How *should* they approach the domain selling/renting idea?

Should they try to build sites around the names?

Should they actively solicit potential customers (for particular names)?

What?

-- TW

Adman May 12, 2009 06:29 PM

There are dozens, if not hundreds of....web designers....all touting that THEY can build a beeyutifull site for you. They show some samples of their work BUT ...the potential customer is "STILL WONDERING" ....WHAT....HIS site is going to look like.

What if a site was built, for a certain Niche, and had a "Unique" domain name and you told 10 or 20 business IN that Niche....that this site and domain was available FOR RENT for X$ SetUp and X$ per month for 3 months Minumum... and, it would go to the FIRST biz that wanted it.

NO Guessing what the site will look like.....there it is...on the screen in front of them! All they need to do is provide their own photos and text! Powerful stuff.

I'd also provide, "Reasons Why"...
1) They should have a website
2) The Domain chosen would make it easy for consumers to remember, etc
3) THIS particular website can bring them MORE SALES

I suppose these "Domainers" and "Site Designers" DO....sell their domains and sites but....for a "One-Person" operation like mine....with almost zero overhead....if I can sell dentists on paying me $790 a month to bring them New Patients...I'd only need 20 dentists to make a nice chunk of change every month.

Don Alm

Adman May 12, 2009 08:11 PM

Youse Guys Wanna Make A Bundle...Dis Year?

Answer this question;

In an "average year" in this country....which will sell more....

1) New Home Construction
2) Existing Homes

WHY?

Apply this to "Selling Websites"!

If you created a website for a Plumber....along with a Unique Domain Name... and offered your "Pre-Built" website to 10 Plumbers, in the same area, who did not yet have websites...do you think that ONE would want your Pre-Built?

If you contacted the same 10 plumbers and told them "you build websites and asked them to have you build them a website"...how many do you think, would want you to build them a website?

Who knows! But, one thing is for sure...a Pre-Built website will sell more easily...imho!

Don Alm

-TW May 12, 2009 08:35 PM

That sure makes sense to me, Don! (dno)

sghfdhjghdm