SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Restocking the Y2K bunker. (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10595)

GordonJ March 12, 2020 12:15 PM

Restocking the Y2K bunker.

A blip.

A created HOAX, sez the far right.

The SKY is falling says WHO?

It takes a dive in the market to get our real attention. And now we have the dive.

Bears are in the market. Bulls are lying down.
Guns and bullets flying off the shelves.

Tomorrow I'm attending TWO webinars, on basically, how to cash in. Don't think I'll learn anything new, been down this road a few times.

Reviewing some of the advice from Y2K, my opinion hasn't changed....BE prepared.

IF I come across something interesting or new, or some pithy advice, or some real world how to prosper during hard times I will happily share them.

Food, water, clothing. Shelter. Toilet Paper, etc., etc. ya know, the essentials.

Opportunist? Hard not to be when panic is on the Street.

GordonJ

Dien Rice March 12, 2020 03:06 PM

Some coming opportunities...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 40563)
Tomorrow I'm attending TWO webinars, on basically, how to cash in. Don't think I'll learn anything new, been down this road a few times.

Reviewing some of the advice from Y2K, my opinion hasn't changed....BE prepared.

IF I come across something interesting or new, or some pithy advice, or some real world how to prosper during hard times I will happily share them.

Food, water, clothing. Shelter. Toilet Paper, etc., etc. ya know, the essentials.

Opportunist? Hard not to be when panic is on the Street.

Hi Gordon,

I've been thinking... For some, the coronavirus pandemic will create an opportunity...

I don't say that to "mock" those for whom this will be a tragedy...

But... for those who can "hunker down" and self-isolate, it could be an opportunity to finally get those projects done... Get those books written. Get those courses made. Or even learn some new marketing skills...

One area where I believe there will be opportunity will be in many of the "traditional" arts.

I've been to a few supermarkets over the last week... Where I'm at (in Australia), toilet paper is gone gone gone...

The weird thing is, we are assured there is actually no shortage of toilet paper, or an expected shortage. Australia apparently makes about one-third of the toilet paper sold locally here, and it can be easily ramped up as needed. But people are panic-buying...

Other store shelves will be cleared out too. Easily stored foods. Maybe even items of clothing. All kinds of medicines...

This will cause a demand for people to want to learn how to do things... How to preserve vegetables. How to make their own clothes. How to use traditional medicines (when the pharmaceutical brands are out of stock)... I've even seen online articles on how to make a home-made surgical-style face-mask...

Knowing how to create and sell info-products and courses online is a huge advantage in times like these... Something we've been talking about (and doing) here at Sowpub for just under 20 years...

Best wishes,

Dien

Millard Grubb March 13, 2020 07:08 AM

Re: Restocking the Y2K bunker.

I would think that with people not going out, "Cooking From Scratch" might make a comeback.

So finding old cookbooks and recipes or teaching folks how to cook like grandma did might have some merit.

Or at least how to use stockpiled food in the best way, etc.

GordonJ March 13, 2020 10:43 AM

101 Days of Ramen. Alexander's Great Soups, Sauces and Stews.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millard Grubb (Post 40567)
I would think that with people not going out, "Cooking From Scratch" might make a comeback.

So finding old cookbooks and recipes or teaching folks how to cook like grandma did might have some merit.

Or at least how to use stockpiled food in the best way, etc.

OR, asking someone like me, or better yet, an INTERVIEW.

Grandma was basic, but she lived on a farm, knew how to slaughter, butcher her livestock and grow the veggies. She did cook on a wood burning stove. That might be a lost art.

This might surprise some, but when I cooked for AMTRAK, on the Miami to NYC Silver Streak express, we cooked on wood burning stoves. Picked up wood along the way.

Wood is still cheap, and follow Glenn Osborn and learn how to get it for free. Once it has been "aged", then you can use it in your old Ben Franklin stove.

Cast Iron is the preference in cookware. Lasts forever.

What if you lose your stove? Electric goes out or gas is shut off?

I once had to feed 150 men on a submarine during a mission which required us to be silent for a week, and NO cooking of any kind. Hardest cooking job I had. Premade a lot of pasta, bread, and rice.

Now, every college kid knows of Ramen noodles, still around 15 cents a pack or less when bought in bulk.

But just the soup would get old fast, but I like to cook it, then pan FRY it, sort of like home fries, and it comes out not too bad.

My 101 Days of Ramen may be available soon.

You can add almost anything to it, especially if you have an iron stomach and are young. Fried pickle and hot pepper rings is one of my favs.

Gordon

PS. I just lost a cousin this week, today is his funeral. His brother still lives on the farm where they grew up. I've written a lot about them over the years, we spent a lot of time on that farm. We hunted at a very young age, with the caveat, we had to field dress anything we killed for food, only rats were for sport shooting. Having this farm and rural background under my belt has bode me well over the years.

Today, I feed the squirrels at the park, what they don't know is I could be fattening them up, still know how to make a trap with dental floss. They could be this year's THANKSGIVING dinner.

GordonJ March 13, 2020 04:29 PM

Cities burning down. Mile long lines for gas. Riots in the streets. Protests.

These are a few of the events in my life time.

There have been many times when we faced uncertainty. Tanks rolled through the streets of Kent, OH, in May of 1970. We've had martial law.

In small pockets of the nation. We've had shutdowns, lockdowns, as the days after 9/11 brought us to a standstill.

Today, we have a NATIONAL EMERGENCY. This from a guy who a couple of days ago shared a podium with a guy (Shawn Hannity) who declared the Coronavirus was a HOAX, with POTUS shaking his head in agreement.

YIKES.

Is the National Emergency a HOAX? Will these lead to martial law? The suspension of the election?

Well, one thing I know.

I don't know.

Today, I listened to two guys talk about getting "to the other side". They see a light at the end of a tunnel.

I have to question if there is the other side? How long can a National Emergency last? When is normalcy restored?

I have many thoughts on this, and you should too.

So saddle up buckeroo, we're in for a long ride.

GordonJ