SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thoughts on stop exit holdups... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5672)

Sandi Bowman October 12, 2008 11:06 AM

Thoughts on stop exit holdups...

I have just had to add a number of clicks to my browsing because of these blankety blank are you sure you want to exit or send me elsewhere when I try to exit garbage. Sometimes when a person tries to shut down, it's URGENT and these delays can cost them plenty...not counting the extra time, the extra wear and tear on already over-worked hands and so on.

I'm at the point I NEVER return to sites that do that sort of thing. I don't care about all the entrepreneur arguments...I care about doing what I need to do, when I need to do it, without arguments from a damned computer or some thoughtless air-head programmer or so-called entrepreneur!

Frankly, I resent having my judgement, my decisions, questioned at every turn and that includes Microsoft and their endless B.S.

Sandi Bowman

-TW October 12, 2008 09:21 PM

Re: Thoughts on stop exit holdups...

"NEVER treat your intended audience like a number -- but ALWAYS analyze them as if they were (a number)."

These no-exit tactics, etc. probably work (produce better results than not using them) -- and the users of the tactics have the numbers to prove that, I guess.

They don't care about you, statistically.

-- TW

Skip Rosell October 13, 2008 01:45 PM

Hi Sandi,

Thanks for your input on exit popups.

What would you do if you were the marketer in the following example?

You have a web page that has an inline opt in box and get 300 out of every one thousand visitors to opt-in. No exit pop-up.

Then you try an exit pop-up and get 500 out of every thousand to opt-in.

Would you still feel the same about exit pop-ups?

Skip Rosell

Sandi Bowman October 13, 2008 07:01 PM

Yes, Skip, I'd still feel the same because I personally feel it is unethical to hold people captive when they've decided, for whatever reason, to go. I believe it shows disrespect for the client/customer and their personal decision making process.

Let's change the scenario a tad and see how it feels otherwise. Suppose you were at a stop light and the guy in front of you decides to sit there despite polite reminders to move when the light changes. Would you feel frustrated and put upon by his actions? I know I would. He's wasting your time and making you late for whatever you were about to do. Same thing on the internet.

Some folks think that just because it's the internet that common courtesy and respect can be just shoved aside and who the hell cares. Wrong. I care...and from what I've heard, lots of others do, too.

The fact that it sometimes proves profitable to the entrepreneur doesn't change the fact. Spam is profitable, too, but that doesn't make it right.

Sandi Bowman

Skip Rosell October 13, 2008 09:11 PM

Hi Sandi,

Thank you for your reply.

I react the same way to both; the red light and the exit pop-up.

The first time I ran across the exit pop-up that would not let me out I laugh and thought It was a cute marketing trick. Then I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and went on about my business.

Time wasted 5-10 seconds. I don’t stress about much these days. Not worth the health issues stress causes. Plus the more I worry about stuff like that the MORE time I waste.

The person at the red light, If on purpose, is showing the only power they will ever have in Life and should be pity. No stress just pity. Looking at it that way I do not get frustrated or angry.

I never feel “put upon” everything I do is my choice. No pop-up or web page can hold me hostage as long as I have the Control-Alt-Delete key. :)

Best of success,

Skip Rosell