SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   8.25 hours to FREEDOM. (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10826)

GordonJ November 15, 2020 07:16 PM

8.25 hours to FREEDOM.

The last 25 years, I've worked with scores of people, and almost all of them have OVERESTIMATED how much time they have to complete a project, or to devote to a business, or to get things done.

Twenty used to be my thinking, 20 hours a week of focused activity would DO IT for you. And yet, most, who said they had that much time, found out they didn't.

How much time do you have to use every week to reach your goals? I don't know.

But I do know that many, if not most, could do fantastic things in ONE YEAR if they spent 8 and a quarter hours a week, FOCUSED on their goals.

15 minutes in the morning, 60 minutes in the evening, FIVE days a week, and then one day of 90 minutes, and maybe a few more if they are motivated.

But, anything over 12 to 15 often has counter productive results and leads to burnout. And their goals die along the way.
8.25 X 50 weeks = 412.5 hours. Now this is a long way from the 10,000 that many people believe it takes to mastery. I think that one size does not fit all.

One year of focused little bits of time DAILY used, and focused on a purpose is all that is required to get on the highway to freedom, financial well being and leveraged productivity.

The "secret" to this PLAN of ACTION is taking the time during the initial month, or first 33 hours to throw your wants against the wall and see which ones stick.

THEN, after some consideration, an up the ladder continuous stepping, adjusting as you go.

I teach (taught) this to those who want to have a 5 thousand dollar a month income after one year of effort. If, THEY do the 8.25 hours and do them for 50 weeks in a row.

I found, even then, that all too many people got sidetracked, off course, and somehow got lost...and I would argue they didn't get off on the right track, with a clear idea of what they wanted, and why?

I don't think the four hour work week will do much for you, but 8 hours a week, (or more if you can) and a progressive plan of action, can take anyone reading this to a freedom they may not know. I'm always amazed at how much TIME successful people have, IF THEY CHOOSE to take it off, however, most love or really like what they do with their time, so they choose not to take it off.

If you want some financial stability and freedom, plan on spending 8.25 hours a week.

15 minutes in the morning, 60 in the evening. A little bit more one day a week.

There you go.

Gordon

Millard Grubb November 16, 2020 06:13 AM

Re: 8.25 hours to FREEDOM.

Thanks for the info on using smalls bits of time consistently.

It really adds up.

(BTW, I sent you some info on the site we discussed)

GordonJ November 16, 2020 08:47 AM

Thanks Millard. Small bits of time are like...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millard Grubb (Post 41315)
Thanks for the info on using smalls bits of time consistently.

It really adds up.

(BTW, I sent you some info on the site we discussed)

The little engine that could, and/or the tortoise and the hare. Slow and steady chugging up the hill or just continuous and focused activity.

We all can find examples of people who invested huge chunks of time, for very short times and have failed. Although, that is a good strategy for SOME ideas, the important thing is knowing when to use WHICHEVER strategy.

For most people, it is counter intuitive, goes against their need or desperation of the moment to think in longer terms of time (a year) and fewer hours.

Gordon

PS. Taking a day to go over that stuff, trying to decide what I want to do when I grow up.

Millard Grubb November 17, 2020 10:30 AM

Re: 8.25 hours to FREEDOM.

I just read an interesting article about using time or spending money.

Let's take making a pizza instead of ordering out.

You make the dough, let it rise, add your toppings and sauce... bake.

You took some time, saved some money, and probably made a tastier pizza than your local chain shop.

Would you want to do this every time? Probably not. But the satisfaction of making home made cooking that tastes good goes a long way instead of taking out your wallet anytime you're hungry.

I know this is a simple example, but a lot of folks just spend gobs of dough to save time, but is the quality worth it?

Just something to think about from time to time....

Continuing the food thought.... fast food or home made beef sandwich?

Go to car wash or do the job yourself?

Go to a barber or have your other half cut your hair? (My wife happens to be a former hairdresser, so I cheated on that one)

Actually what is happening here for me is a look back about we all used to do things... is that so bad? :)

GordonJ November 17, 2020 11:33 AM

Try making bread by hand, from scratch.

Satisfaction.

Too many Mick Jaggers out there, they just can't get any. HA!

I know there are a couple of Bread Machine aficionados here, just pour in ingredients and press a button. And call it homemade, which it is, beats store bought.

But for a really good time, make it by hand, do a BREAD meditation. I mean get your hands into it. Mix in a big bowl, and knead it by hand. It is a great way for kids to make a mess in the kitchen and keeps them occupied too...

And NOTHING beats the satisfaction of seeing your kid tell someone "I made it by hand".

We're about to witness a couple of IPO, one being Door Dash, which has boomed from the Covid affair.

What I wonder, is, what do the people who save all that time with food delivery, DO with the "saved" time????

More Netflix bingeing? More YouTube watching? Or more working on their affiliate businesses?

We like to "manage" our time.
Take control of our time.
Spend our time wisely.
Be productive with our time.

With less people to people, the so-called HIGH TOUCH activities being greatly curtailed, maybe a little HIGH TOUCH for yourself (in the kitchen, garage, workshop, craft room...and less in the bedroom...he.he.)

is not only a ticket to a more satisfying HOUR or two spent, it could also be profitable too, both in financials and self worth.

Thanks Millard for bringing this up.

Gordon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millard Grubb (Post 41317)
I just read an interesting article about using time or spending money.

Let's take making a pizza instead of ordering out.

You make the dough, let it rise, add your toppings and sauce... bake.

You took some time, saved some money, and probably made a tastier pizza than your local chain shop.

Would you want to do this every time? Probably not. But the satisfaction of making home made cooking that tastes good goes a long way instead of taking out your wallet anytime you're hungry.

I know this is a simple example, but a lot of folks just spend gobs of dough to save time, but is the quality worth it?

Just something to think about from time to time....

Continuing the food thought.... fast food or home made beef sandwich?

Go to car wash or do the job yourself?

Go to a barber or have your other half cut your hair? (My wife happens to be a former hairdresser, so I cheated on that one)

Actually what is happening here for me is a look back about we all used to do things... is that so bad? :)