SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ALSO this: leverage time for money trades, or eliminate it altogether. (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10648)

GordonJ May 9, 2020 11:20 AM

ALSO this: leverage time for money trades, or eliminate it altogether.

I don't want CLIENTS.

I don't want CUSTOMERS.

I don't want CONSUMERS.

All of the above are trades of time for money. Which isn't bad, IF you learn how to leverage that time spent.

Gee Gordy, what do you want?

Well, today, Covid-19 Crisis time, I want students, and an argument could easily be made they are all of the above, but it is how you think about them.

See, about 25 years ago I came up with the idea, the Prospect is the Product, and a couple of decades ago, even wrote a report about that.

The IDEAL product you can offer to anyone, is THEMSELVES, of a new, improved, enhanced, version of them. And this can lead to great continuity programs, or increase the LIFETIME value of a customer. As an example of this MASTERY, look to the plethora of young girls who have become social influencers and have been rewarded with millions.

Because, big BEAUTY; L'Oreal, Estee Lauder, Maybelline, etc., is a multi BILLION dollar business with built in

continuity

programs. Buy cream, use it, buy more, refill, refill, refill...try new lipstick, this shade, that color...

WE can a learn a lot from big beauty, I've written about it before. What, last year the youngest billionaire on Forbes was Kylie Jenner, and her BEAUTY/cosmetics line.

I have a few "students" I've been working with for over a decade, about 12 years ago, I opened up a training, it went for between 500 and 1000 bux, and many of those guys have become good friends.

Back then, I was all WHITEBOARD, WHITEBOARD, WHITEBOARD. I guess I've come full circle back to it. I have them, all around, don't use them as much as I once did, but since I put it on my wall (had to take down the giant pic of Nixon)...It has become a daily tool which has already paid for itself many times over.

Sure, clients, consumers and customers can be a pain in the patoot, but they can also be great friends and members of your ever expanding circle of influence.

STUDENTS can often go on and outgrow the teacher, which is something I encourage. Go, learn more, do more, know more than ME, that would be wonderful. Go, make me proud.

I mentioned Mike McGroarty recently, I'd bet you he has people in his group from 20 years ago, same as Bill Myers does, same as WE do here. Dien and I have seen many SowPubbers who years ago planted their

own seeds of wisdom to get their harvests of happiness....

if that has been monetary happiness, or personal satisfaction it is great knowing we helped them, maybe guided or even mentored them...and watched them soar far beyond us.

One thing we attracted way back then, were people who were attracted to my flow low, make the dough philosophy. There was a lot of BECOME A GURU , become somebody, be known, be a part of the syndicate, be in the group, etc., etc.

I never much cared to join a club that would want me as a member, Ha!

So many of the people we've worked with over the years, remain unknown in the big IM world, or are simply doing their things without the need to blast their names all over the Net. Even FORBES billionaires, are for the most part unknown to the general public, how many of the top 20 can you name?

But, take off Bezos, Buffet and Gates...how you doing now?

FLY LOW AND COLLECT THE DOUGH was an important philosopy passed onto me by a friend and a former Navy guy too, Bob Beckman. Bob was a very interesting guy, and when he visited me here in Cuyahoga Falls, we took a memorable trip to MARY CAMPBELL'S CAVE.

Bob was a successful consultant. Well known in his niche, unknown outside of it, and he was the guy who warned me:
"Gordon, you're getting pretty close to GURU status, are you sure you want to go that route, or would you just rather FLY LOW AND COLLECT THE DOUGH?"

He was right. Back then, I was spending too much time on forums and bulletin boards and giving out advice, getting my ego stroked, and making enemies as well as friends. I found early on I didn't fit in with what was forming as a pack of predatory marketers which are still eating off the bones of their prey. But to be fair, some are dining at the Ritz too, so there is that.

Anyhow. What do you want? NOW. Yea, I've asked that question for ever, but there is a giant crossroads in our lives right now, and it might be time to choose the path less taken, or get on the expressway to freedom and financial independence...

and decide where you want to go. Maybe customers, clients and consumers will be your choice, and that is great for you. But if you want to help people, teach, and share your experiences to make other lives better, consider

TEACHING. Your students will profit and prosper from your sharing.

Gordon

Dien Rice November 28, 2020 02:35 AM

Just came across this post... Great stuff!

Hi Gordon,

Somehow I just came across this post (again)...

Great stuff!

Something I probably needed to hear and be reminded of... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 40762)
I don't want CLIENTS.

I don't want CUSTOMERS.

I don't want CONSUMERS.

All of the above are trades of time for money. Which isn't bad, IF you learn how to leverage that time spent.

Gee Gordy, what do you want?

Well, today, Covid-19 Crisis time, I want students, and an argument could easily be made they are all of the above, but it is how you think about them.

See, about 25 years ago I came up with the idea, the Prospect is the Product, and a couple of decades ago, even wrote a report about that.

The IDEAL product you can offer to anyone, is THEMSELVES, of a new, improved, enhanced, version of them. And this can lead to great continuity programs, or increase the LIFETIME value of a customer. As an example of this MASTERY, look to the plethora of young girls who have become social influencers and have been rewarded with millions.

Because, big BEAUTY; L'Oreal, Estee Lauder, Maybelline, etc., is a multi BILLION dollar business with built in

continuity

programs. Buy cream, use it, buy more, refill, refill, refill...try new lipstick, this shade, that color...

WE can a learn a lot from big beauty, I've written about it before. What, last year the youngest billionaire on Forbes was Kylie Jenner, and her BEAUTY/cosmetics line.

I have a few "students" I've been working with for over a decade, about 12 years ago, I opened up a training, it went for between 500 and 1000 bux, and many of those guys have become good friends.

Back then, I was all WHITEBOARD, WHITEBOARD, WHITEBOARD. I guess I've come full circle back to it. I have them, all around, don't use them as much as I once did, but since I put it on my wall (had to take down the giant pic of Nixon)...It has become a daily tool which has already paid for itself many times over.

Sure, clients, consumers and customers can be a pain in the patoot, but they can also be great friends and members of your ever expanding circle of influence.

STUDENTS can often go on and outgrow the teacher, which is something I encourage. Go, learn more, do more, know more than ME, that would be wonderful. Go, make me proud.

I mentioned Mike McGroarty recently, I'd bet you he has people in his group from 20 years ago, same as Bill Myers does, same as WE do here. Dien and I have seen many SowPubbers who years ago planted their

own seeds of wisdom to get their harvests of happiness....

if that has been monetary happiness, or personal satisfaction it is great knowing we helped them, maybe guided or even mentored them...and watched them soar far beyond us.

One thing we attracted way back then, were people who were attracted to my flow low, make the dough philosophy. There was a lot of BECOME A GURU , become somebody, be known, be a part of the syndicate, be in the group, etc., etc.

I never much cared to join a club that would want me as a member, Ha!

So many of the people we've worked with over the years, remain unknown in the big IM world, or are simply doing their things without the need to blast their names all over the Net. Even FORBES billionaires, are for the most part unknown to the general public, how many of the top 20 can you name?

But, take off Bezos, Buffet and Gates...how you doing now?

FLY LOW AND COLLECT THE DOUGH was an important philosopy passed onto me by a friend and a former Navy guy too, Bob Beckman. Bob was a very interesting guy, and when he visited me here in Cuyahoga Falls, we took a memorable trip to MARY CAMPBELL'S CAVE.

Bob was a successful consultant. Well known in his niche, unknown outside of it, and he was the guy who warned me:
"Gordon, you're getting pretty close to GURU status, are you sure you want to go that route, or would you just rather FLY LOW AND COLLECT THE DOUGH?"

He was right. Back then, I was spending too much time on forums and bulletin boards and giving out advice, getting my ego stroked, and making enemies as well as friends. I found early on I didn't fit in with what was forming as a pack of predatory marketers which are still eating off the bones of their prey. But to be fair, some are dining at the Ritz too, so there is that.

Anyhow. What do you want? NOW. Yea, I've asked that question for ever, but there is a giant crossroads in our lives right now, and it might be time to choose the path less taken, or get on the expressway to freedom and financial independence...

and decide where you want to go. Maybe customers, clients and consumers will be your choice, and that is great for you. But if you want to help people, teach, and share your experiences to make other lives better, consider

TEACHING. Your students will profit and prosper from your sharing.

Gordon

GordonJ November 28, 2020 12:11 PM

This is the time of year I like to dive into SowPub...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 41362)
Hi Gordon,

Great stuff!

Best wishes,

Dien

Thanks Dien, only a few months old, but, it does seem like a post made a long time ago, this Pandemic has a time warp to it, eh?

At the end of every year, I like to do a flashback/flash ahead evaluation. And when looking back, I like to look WAY, WAY back. I'm often amazed at some of those great posts made in the very first couple of years at SowPub, information which is still useful, practical and meaningful.

I can also tell how some of my attitudes, ideas and thinking has changed. Some of it, still the same as it was 30 years ago, re: SQ1 and all that. Other ideas have grown, or been jettisoned to the attic corner of my mind.

Anyhow, thanks for finding that one, I think there are some good ideas I need to think about, cause sometimes, I write so much, I lose track of them too.

Gordon

Dien Rice November 28, 2020 07:07 PM

I find THIS teaching of yours very valuable too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 41364)
Thanks Dien, only a few months old, but, it does seem like a post made a long time ago, this Pandemic has a time warp to it, eh?

At the end of every year, I like to do a flashback/flash ahead evaluation. And when looking back, I like to look WAY, WAY back. I'm often amazed at some of those great posts made in the very first couple of years at SowPub, information which is still useful, practical and meaningful.

I can also tell how some of my attitudes, ideas and thinking has changed. Some of it, still the same as it was 30 years ago, re: SQ1 and all that. Other ideas have grown, or been jettisoned to the attic corner of my mind.

Anyhow, thanks for finding that one, I think there are some good ideas I need to think about, cause sometimes, I write so much, I lose track of them too.

Hi Gordon,

I think I'm getting a little wiser as I age... That's the good part about aging!

About the Square One Workshops (SQ1)...

Wow... I can really see the value in it now...

You really ought to do more with it (in my opinion)... It is VALUABLE...

And also incredibly unique...

A work - if I may say so - of genius... :)

(And I'm not just trying to butter you up! ;) )

Best wishes,

Dien

GordonJ November 29, 2020 05:58 PM

I think a more accurate thought might be...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 41365)
Hi Gordon,

I think I'm getting a little wiser as I age... That's the good part about aging!

About the Square One Workshops (SQ1)...

Wow... I can really see the value in it now...

You really ought to do more with it (in my opinion)... It is VALUABLE...

And also incredibly unique...

A work - if I may say so - of genius... :)

(And I'm not just trying to butter you up! ;) )

Best wishes,

Dien

Thanks Dien, I USE it on a daily basis, so I do a lot with it, a more accurate idea from my perspective is, others should do a lot more with it. After all, it was posted here for 18 years, free for anyone who had an interest.

Yes, I haven't promoted it, or commercialized it, in fact turned down offers to do so because I believe it will get misused, and mis promoted.

Every week, when choosing between several things on a list, I use the BINARY MATRIX...I use the PictoGrigm of Persuasion with every promotion I write, I USE the PictoGrigms routinely.

Of the thousands whom have seen it, been exposed to it, I can count on one hand those that actually USE IT, and only a couple have delved into depths of it's hologram nature, to see the things that aren't on the surface.

It has been often said, in several ways, when the viewer is ready, the curtain is pulled back (or the teacher appears, or some variation of that).

Maybe the Covid crisis will have more people looking for answers, and when they are ready, maybe, perhaps they will find the SQ1.

Gordon

GordonJ November 29, 2020 06:29 PM

The Prospect as Product concept seen today...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 41362)
Hi Gordon,

Great stuff!

Best wishes,

Dien

Master Class is one example of Prospect As Product, and so are the many "schools, colleges, classes, etc." online today...Lynda, eDemy. coursera, skillshare, etc.

They focus on the prospect, the BUYER, who wants to learn something, and there are several successful models. MasterClass has the yearly membership, and you can take as many as you want.

Others offer an ala carte selection, pick and pay as you go.

Now this is a repeat, but the best of all is found in the self improvement area, where there are different levels and many of these by faux authority.

Take Resumes. Is there really a governing body of resume writers? NO, it is a made up Association (one that I should have done), and so are some of those NLP "certifications" passed out like samples at a Costco on a Sat. morning.

But the concept is there. Instead of selling them a TV, or THING, or a piece of software, or a report or information...

it is ALL about SELF IMPROVEMENT, with a purpose, an awful lot to do with income and money making, or more of it as you gain more education.

It is the perfect business, once you get someone hooked, then just let addiction settle in, and WOWZA DOWZA, sis boom moolah a flowing.

Titles help, as do degrees, or stripes on the uniform...all magnifiers to elevate the student and reward them too.

I should do more with this, for sure.

Gordon