SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   GENI...comments? (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5451)

Sandi Bowman August 3, 2008 12:13 AM

GENI...comments?

Anyone have any comments about the 12 million dollars that the National Science Foundation granted for GENI? It's on Time.com. They're going to experiment with a new way to build a sustainable internet without interfering with the current one. Project should be well under way within 5 years and will cost (projected) 350 million dollars.

They're supposedly 'starting from scratch' because the current internet has too many security and other problems. Uh-huh...and the rest of us will have to eat humble crow to get a wedge in I'll bet.

I don't believe we should be spending some of the ridiculous funds we are for pie in the sky prototypes and development unless they're directed toward feeding some of the starving people in the world. When the people of the world are fed, clothed, and housed then...perhaps...but not now.

How about applying those resources to developing greenhouse gardens that produce l00, or even l,000, times the food per acre than can be done now? It's entirely possible.

Somebody's priorities are all skewed to hell and gone.

Sandi Bowman

-TW August 3, 2008 02:09 AM

Re: GENI...comments?

It's nothing to get upset about.

That's probably the same amount of $$$ the State Department spends on pencils per year.

$350 million = zero (basically).

-- TW

Sandi Bowman August 3, 2008 09:24 AM

Who the heck said I was upset? That wasn't the point. The point is (listen closely) that:

With all the nonsense crapola (cow gas studies?) that we are paying for, in one way or another, why aren't we addressing the REAL problems that face this world with those COMBINED resources instead? That's the point.

How many more children are never going to be able to live up to their potential simply because they didn't get enough of the right foods in childhood and are permanently retarded unnecessarily? Hmmm? How much longer are we going to tolerate some of the excesses, privileges, and so on that take from the poorest of the poor and give to those who have no right to it? How much longer are we going to turn our backs on those who would help themselves except for the necessary boost to prime the pump so to speak? How much longer are we going to shrug our shoulders and throw up our hands when CURABLE diseases cause blindness, lingering horrible deaths, and disfigurement for the sake of a few cents worth of medicine? Get real, folks!

If this world is destroyed, well, maybe then the universe can celebrate because we sure as heck aren't 'doing all we can' to create anything except more misery for millions of beings of every description...human and otherwise.

Sandi Bowman

-TW August 3, 2008 09:31 AM

Fox News has a show on tonight we all should watch -- it's called "Porked."

-- TW

bobmcalister August 4, 2008 05:16 PM

I feel your pain Sandi ...and have decided that I cant do anything about those guys in whasghington ..but I can do something about the locals and that is where I focus ...and spend my efforts.

and you can send a few bux to a worth cause in your city while still voiced dsmay over the others...but they are isolated along with their rich buddies and could care less what you think ...because they KNOW thay you either cant or wont do any thing about it ...

and life goes one....help locally and vote locally