SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   government help poor people (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4608)

goldenstone11 December 26, 2007 04:03 AM

government help poor people

Hi all, my husband is disabled we have a child at home who wants to go to college in 2008 we want to know if there is grant money to help us buy a home and send him to college. He has a 3.8 grade point average and we would like to see him get a better education and be able to live at home while doing it. So does the government help poor people get the grants like it is advertised on the internet and television? Please answer me.

Pete Egeler December 26, 2007 07:10 AM

Re: government help poor people

Don't know about any government "grants" for homes, but your son should be
working with his school on getting applications out for college.

His school should be able to provide him with plenty of information about various scholarships available so that he can further his education.

Pete

MichaelRoss December 26, 2007 04:27 PM

Poor people? Hmmm....

Goldstone11,

Thanks for asking.

You are, essentially, asking TWO questions wrapped as one...

Q#1: Is there grant money to help you buy a house?

Q#2: Is there grant money to help you send your child to college?

Know this... ALL money comes from other people. So any Grant money the govt Gives has first been stolen (they call it Tax) from the productive. This is something *I* am against.

So your question which wants to use stolen earned money to help you buy a house stands out. I'm sure there are govt programs to Help people acquire their own home - either state or federal (there have been such schemes in Australia for a long time). But before you ask about them - and why not ask a loan broker as they know all kinds of stuff to help people get into debt, as that's how they make a living - do you know if you can Actually Afford to? And would you be willing to buy a place that's lower on the ladder than what you Want, but which enables you to stay financially stable?

These are tough questions to ask. Because you must NOT let your heart override your head here. That's when financial disaster happens.

I have two rules for buying property...

Rule # 1: Borrow less than you can afford. (If interest rates go up you are still fine)

Rule # 2: Do NOT use all your deposit. (You thus have Fall-Back money on hand)

And my pseudo rule... if you need to borrow money from the govt to get into a house... maybe you shouldn't be buying because it's a sign you are not financially astute enough to Manage your money to the extent necessary to handle a large home-loan debt.

Michael Ross

Phil December 26, 2007 06:22 PM

Just be Careful about purchasing info Products on the subject...

And if you're looking to Publish another one... Google has all your Answers... :)

The Truth about Federal grants. How to find and apply for grants...
Federal Government Grants - No Free Lunch
http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa060400a.htm

‘Free Government Grants’: Don’t Take Them For Grant-ed
“Because you pay your income taxes on time, you have been awarded a free $12500 government grant! To get your grant, simply give us your checking account ... ;)
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt134.shtm

Phil

Unregistered December 26, 2007 06:30 PM

Re: Interested in your reply!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenstone11 (Post 18100)
Hi all, my husband is disabled we have a child at home who wants to go to college in 2008 we want to know if there is grant money to help us buy a home and send him to college. He has a 3.8 grade point average and we would like to see him get a better education and be able to live at home while doing it. So does the government help poor people get the grants like it is advertised on the internet and television? Please answer me.

If I wanted to goto college in 2008 I would do just what Pete states and start talking to the folks in my high school designated to that duty.

I also noticed your sig line and it says "I AM THE BEST". Not just a regular old I am the best, but a statement in all caps is no diff. than an a "!" at the end of the statement. Sooooooo, you realy feel that you are the best....

and that brings me to my question, Best at what?

People that are "BEST" in my book are not looking for handouts from the Gov..

layla17 December 27, 2007 10:39 AM

Re: Interested in your reply!!!!

Wow everyone is really getting on goldenstone's case here. I understand that no one likes people "mooching" off of the system, but she is at least trying to better her son's situation. Goldenstone, I think that it would be very unwise to move to an area around your son's college or university so he can live at home. College dorming is generally pretty flexible with student housing and some colleges like U-Mass actually provides family housing for special situations.

Sandi Bowman December 27, 2007 02:36 PM

While I can understand where folks are coming from regarding government handouts, I see nothing wrong in pursuing college loans and grants for those that need them. I call them a 'hand up' not a 'hand out' because sooner or later the majority of them will repay the loans, and validate the grants by becoming productive and useful citizens instead of welfare recipients etc.

Just my take on it. As for housing: it's oftentimes cheaper to live in a dorm than to live at home, even if home is nearby. Besides, one of the advantages of dorm life is that one is closer to one's peers and able to form friendships that often continue into business relationships later on. Networking is the way of things these days, folks, so re-consider being too close to your children once they are college age. A bit of space is good for both sides.

Sandi Bowman

layla17 December 28, 2007 12:09 PM

That's a great thought on the space Sandi. I found that I grew more during my years of college because I was on my own more and became more independent. I also met a lot of people who helped me get where I am today in school.

Ankesh January 1, 2008 01:48 PM

Re: Poor people? Hmmm....

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelRoss (Post 18109)
Two rules for buying property...

Rule # 1: Borrow less than you can afford. (If interest rates go up you are still fine)

Rule # 2: Do NOT use all your deposit. (You thus have Fall-Back money on hand)

Don't have much to add - but just wanted to amplify Michael's 2 rules so that they don't get lost in his post.

lonelylady11 January 28, 2008 01:23 AM

Yesterday someone calls me and says that I have been selected for US Govt. grant. He asks for my social security and DOB info for verification. Then he asks for my bank account number and route number to transfer the money without any cost. Is that how securing Govt. grant really works? Can he do any damage with that info specially the bank related ones? I am asking for help by providing me your experience and opinion about this.

Phil January 28, 2008 01:51 AM

Unless you're passing through and joking...

And for others who have No idea on this kind of stuff...

Never, Never give out that kind of information...

If you Did... Notify your bank etc. etc. Immediately and Keep a close Watch on all your accounts...

Always Do your Homework and be Extremely Careful on who/when you answer your phone & email...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...S earch&meta=

Phil

Sandi Bowman January 28, 2008 08:56 AM

Okay, I'll bite in hopes it may help others. Apparently we are getting a few new to the world folks here...so...here's some capsule info:

1. Be suspicious of anyone calling you 'out of the blue' with some special offer or grant or no cost anything. Best bet: hang up!

2. NEVER, and I mean never, give out private information to anyone you don't know if THEY initiate the contact. You can never be SURE of who you are dealing with. Would you go out and shout your personal income, tell all about your lifestyle habits, your sexual habits, or medical history to a group of folks in a mall? No? Then don't give your personal info to strangers.

3. Bank info, credit card info, and especially Social Security Info puts you in the middle of the mall yelling at the top of your lungs to anyone who will listen. Don't be a patsy. The cost? Your very identity, your money, and possibly even your life. No exaggeration here. Try getting medical care if your identity is compromised.

4. A word about surveys: DON't is a safe rule unless you have an on-going, initiated by YOU, contact/relationship with the person. If you do a survey, don't feel you have to answer all questions. They can ask anything they want but you don't have to answer...remember that.

5. WATCH your credit cards and ID (driver's license etc). NEVER lay them on a counter...keep them in hand. When you get a card back from someone who took it to process it, CHECK that you got YOURS back. If someone is on a cell phone while processing your card, watch carefully that they don't take a photograph of your card with that camera equipped cell phone or you could face some nasty charges on your next statement and endless hassles to boot.

It's a jungle out there full of predators so act defensively, folks, or pay the price.

Sandi Bowman

-TW January 28, 2008 09:11 AM

Aka: "Shoulder Surfers" (dno)

-- TW

-TW January 28, 2008 09:23 AM

Article, re: Shoulder Surfers + prevention tips...

http://idtheft.about.com/od/preventi...ulder_Surf.htm

I've heard they even use slo-mo cameras from across the room (airport, etc.) -- so, when entering a password or pin on a keypad or keyboard, FAKE hitting a key or two at various points while punching in the #'s -- it couldn't hurt.

-- TW

Phil January 28, 2008 04:33 PM

Re: Article, re: Shoulder Surfers + prevention tips... Problems = Business ideas...

A few more Good Reads and resources...

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/

Diagnosis: Identity Theft
For $60, a thief can buy your health records—and use them to get costly care. Guess who gets the bill...
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...eek+exclusives

Consumers afraid of identity theft have a new weapon, a credit freeze...
http://businessshrink.biz/psychology...credit-freeze/

And of course Problems lead to Business ideas and Solutions...

Not my Affiliate links... Just one Example and Many more ways to “twist” ID Theft into other Services & Product ideas... :)

Don't Marketers just Love a Good Problem with a Recurring income stream... ;)
http://www.nextadvisor.com/identity_...ices/index.php

Phil

Unregistered February 2, 2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenstone11 (Post 18100)

I'm confused - you're asking about grants while promoting a book about grants in your signature? If the book you're promoting tells all, you could be teaching us a thing or two.

MichaelRoss February 2, 2008 03:43 PM

That link wasn't there first go around

Interesting.

I don't recall the Grant For Women link there previously. They must have come back and added a signature. Hmmm... might need removing.

Michael Ross

vinnieg24 February 6, 2008 01:26 PM

depends on the school your child goes to. i know a friend that went to college basically for free without taking out a loan. He got government grants. it was a 2 year college though not a 4 year. your children might just have to get either financial aid or take out a loan. but he/she should get some money to go to college.

chocolate101 February 28, 2008 06:21 AM

there are many government agencies that allows you to take out loans from them. if you don't know much about loans and mortgages there are lots of articles about it online.

karlahaze March 15, 2008 01:30 AM

I am going to pursue a career in Criminal Justice, and I’m looking to get a government grant. Does anyone know a website that can help me out and offer the assistance I need to pursue my career? I’m sure there are websites that don’t require any money and are willing to help people like me out. Is there a website that I can go to for a free government grant without paying for anything?

Sandi Bowman March 15, 2008 02:03 AM

The counselors at the school you plan to attend can help you with this. They're often your best source for beginning the loan/grant application process and for related information. If you are still in school, ask your school counselor for help.

The Federal Government has lots of free information on various related topics that you can get just by ordering them from the government printing office.

You can Google for information and online resources.

Another possibility: go to your local police station and ask for advice. A lot of times police related organizations offer scholarships.

Don't be afraid to dig for the info you need in libraries or other resources. Your local librarian may help you discover hidden resources that'd be helpful. Don't be shy...ask!

Best wishes for your success.

Sandi Bowman