SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anything EXCITING happening yet? YAAWN! (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1924)

Sandi Bowman November 5, 2006 05:16 PM

Anything EXCITING happening yet? YAAWN!

I see a few brief attempts at starting something that MIGHT lead to an interesting, multiple response, various facets explored type of posts like the old forum had but nothing happens.

Wonder what's causing this? Is it this grey doom and gloom appearance that's perhaps dulling our senses and putting us to sleep at the keyboard? Are we all depressed at losing what was friendly and familiar? Where has all the LIFE gone in this forum? Gosh, I sure miss it and hope it returns soon!

Don't misunderstand me, this basic forum style is okay but it is kind of a snooze job whereas the other one was lively and stimulating. Ah, bet that's it! The other one had shades of yellow...a known stimulant to the intellect and general brain function whereas blues and greys are calming and sleep-inducing. Could it be, perhaps? Hmmm...

Sandi Bowman

Dien Rice November 5, 2006 05:55 PM

All forums have "slow" times...

...even the "old forum"! (I think, with hindsight, we tend to forget about those "slow times"...)

I must admit, my own interests right now are dominated with learning how to create a "system" - or "systemizing" a business...

This is an extremely important topic when growing a business (and as I've mentioned earlier, very little is written about it!). However, unfortunately, it's usually not as "exciting" to talk about this as all the other topics...!

It's very hard to write an exciting story about "systemizing" a business, in contrast to talking about that impossible-to-get sale, or turning a failing product into a success!

(Though James Anthony has done pretty well with sharing some of his stories regarding this!)

I'll try to write some more "exciting" stuff... :)

- Dien

Pete Egeler November 5, 2006 06:09 PM

Re: Anything EXCITING happening yet? YAAWN!

Actually, I know of something EXCITING about to happen! ;0

However, I'm not a liberty to discuss it at this time. :)

On the otherhand, I'm pleased to announce that after Tuesday, I should see a drastic reduction in the phone calls I get from Bob Corker and Harold Ford!

Pete

Stevie November 5, 2006 08:53 PM

Why not start an interesting thread topic yourself? Be the solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandi Bowman (Post 6547)
I see a few brief attempts at starting something that MIGHT lead to an interesting, multiple response, various facets explored type of posts like the old forum had but nothing happens.

Wonder what's causing this? Is it this grey doom and gloom appearance that's perhaps dulling our senses and putting us to sleep at the keyboard? Are we all depressed at losing what was friendly and familiar? Where has all the LIFE gone in this forum? Gosh, I sure miss it and hope it returns soon!

Don't misunderstand me, this basic forum style is okay but it is kind of a snooze job whereas the other one was lively and stimulating. Ah, bet that's it! The other one had shades of yellow...a known stimulant to the intellect and general brain function whereas blues and greys are calming and sleep-inducing. Could it be, perhaps? Hmmm...

Sandi Bowman

Sandi Bowman November 5, 2006 09:25 PM

I tried, Stevie, with this one but no one has commented or picked up on the color theme yet.

Back atcha'...what do you have to toss out as a life preserver we can all scramble for? ;)

Dien, I am aware of the ebb and flow of forums. I was just hoping to start something a bit different, that's all.

Sandi Bowman

MichaelRoss November 6, 2006 03:08 AM

How's this...

Here are two websites...

http://www.freerepublic.com

and...

http://www.democraticunderground.com

Both contain fruit-loops with no sense of logic. Some make valid points, sometimes. Some make Stoopid points. Non-Sequiturs, if you will.

And...

Wait...

HAY! I know why the forum is slow...

According to the liberals...

It's Bush's Fault!

Okay. Now your turn to Turn Up The heat. Nothing like some good old Controvery to get things going. Just ask 50 Cents http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_Cent (read the entry to see how Controversy has made him over $22 million - people have paid this Entertainer for CDs and Mixtapes that I wouldn't listen to if given for Free).

Michael Ross

ImpactYourArea.com November 6, 2006 09:33 AM

Greetings Sandi,
Quote:

Sandi Bowman

Your post got me thinking about colors that attract business. I came across this article. Enjoy!

Quote:

What Colors Make Your Services Most Attractive?

This information is based on the principles of Laws of Attraction, Law of Allowing and Law of Deliberate Creation. And the Universal Laws of Energy (like attract likes) proven by Quantum Physics.

What colors attract people to you?

Visual presentation and appeal, whether in your marketing materials or what you wear, can turn on or turn off what you people you attract. It does not matter if it’s on paper matter, the Internet, like a web site, or in a presentation.

If you do any time of speaking, writing, or design type of work, this article is for you.

I'm not just talking about visual color, I'm also talking to you about audio and writing or language color. Each affect our relationships -- friends, family, prospects, clients or customers.

It is a fact that companies with large budgets spend billions on color market research -- usually in product or packaging development.

Solopreneurs pockets aren't as deep, thus, they need to use the results of the research of the deep pocket-ers.

Colors tell someone if you are approachable. In the same way they will affect whether someone will continue clicking through your web site.

Colors will determine if someone will start reading your article in a magazine or posted on your web site. Color also helps to keep people involved on your web site (it’s not just about the content) and how long they stay.

Colors also influences how people will respond and behave. A black background on your web site now represents s*x-type of web sites. It is important that if that isn't your focus that you don't use a black background.

Let’s take a few minutes and play with this concept. The next time you go into a fast-food restaurant, look closely at the colors. Do they decorate with vivid reds and oranges because they encourage diners to eat and leave quickly like many of the fast food establishments. That is exactly the response they want.

Different cultures have different attitudes and preferences thus; they will have another color reaction. In China, "white" symbolizes death and in Brazil, it is the color purple. People from warm countries respond favorably to warm colors; people from colder climates prefer the cooler colors.

In America, green is associated with jealousy or money. Here are some color references for America.

Red......excitement, strength, sex, passion, speed, danger.

Blue.....(most popular) trust, reliability, belonging, coolness.

Yellow...warmth, sunshine, cheer, happiness.

Orange...playfulness, warmth, vibrant.

Green....nature, fresh, cool, growth, abundance.

Purple...royal, spirituality, dignity.

Pink.....soft, sweet, nurture, security.

White....pure, virginal, clean, youthful, mild.

Black....sophistication, elegant, seductive, mystery, sexual.

Gold.....prestige, expensive, elite.

Silver...prestige, cold, scientific.

This also means that color affect shopping habits. Red-orange, black and royal blue attracts impulse buyers. Pink, teal, light blue and navy attract smart budget Shopper. Pink, rose and sky blue attract conformists.

A great exercise to experience this -- visit large company web sites that have spent the funds on this type of research.

Try McDonalds (http://www.mcdonalds.com -- bright red) or Wendy's (http://www.wendys.com -- brownish red). Jaguar (http://www.jaguar.com -- black for sophistication, green cool, and silver for prestige). It matches perfectly with their market -- high income-ers with a view on sophisticated.

If you are a service professional, how might you put colors to use for you?

First, make sure you have the right target market. Young children materials contain large amounts of bright primary colors. These colors will attract the child yet the parents or grandparents open the wallet. This means that for the children you would use the primary colors and for the marketing material being read by the grand/parents you would use reds, blues, pinks and yellows for trust, reliability, security, and playful.

If you a web site and you choose the colors because they are your favorite, then you choose it could have chosen it for the wrong target market -- unless, of course, you are the only one or people just like you are the only ones you want buying. Pick your colors for your market. This is anything you want to attract in America.

(c) Copyright 2004, Catherine Franz

So let's discuss, colors that attract business.

From the Trouse
Woody Quiñones

ImpactYourArea.com November 6, 2006 09:37 AM

Re: All forums have "slow" times...

Greetings Dien,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 6549)
I must admit, my own interests right now are dominated with learning how to create a "system" - or "systemizing" a business...

This is an extremely important topic when growing a business (and as I've mentioned earlier, very little is written about it!). However, unfortunately, it's usually not as "exciting" to talk about this as all the other topics...!

It's very hard to write an exciting story about "systemizing" a business, in contrast to talking about that impossible-to-get sale, or turning a failing product into a success!

I would be very interested in learning more about "systemizing" a business. It may not be pretty or exciting to read about, but learning more about it is necessary.

From the Trouse
Woody Quiñones

bobmcalister November 6, 2006 03:28 PM

Re:pete...how bout that < Repete ....

gotta let us know ...we are sitting on peedles and nins...

have a good one

bob

Unregistered November 6, 2006 04:03 PM

Sandi,

I am sure this will take off, but I see two items that may be effecting the number of posts.

1. The old format was easier to read, sorry! Your interest stayed longer because the threads were cleaner... sometimes less is more... this message board is good, but the screen seems busy.

2. It is much more fun when you can post with a link to your web site and especially your own image or banner. Especially when it can be different on each message. Hate to say it, but some people post to build their business.

3. Many people may not want to take the time to log in. It's not a lot of time, but it takes time, a thing some of us may lack.

4. The codes you have to enter to post are sometimes hard to read.... you're not always sure if you are supposed to capitalize or not.

I know these are all LITTLE things, but maybe they add up?

The people are the same... the content is still good, I think it should take off again, but I did like the old software better.

GOOD LUCK!
Just my 2 cents.

John Davin

Quote:

Sandi Bowman

Sandi Bowman November 6, 2006 05:22 PM

It never ceases to amaze me the extremes that people will go to to waste time while purporting to be 'busy'. Unbelievable sometimes.

As for the wikipedia post on 50 cent...I think it's a shame that we can't find something, or someone, more positive to hold out to our young people to emulate. It seems sometimes that the worse something is, the more it is idolized in this country.

Saw the beginning of it waaay back some 40 years ago in North Hollywood-Studio City area. Sam Goldwyn and I used to chat about things Hollywood related and how they will eventually influence our world. He was right on the money, I must say. The rise of the Gay movement, the rap scene, the **** industry,and violent movie scenarios...we saw it all happening even back then.

All the home and family hearth themes and actors were just a smokescreen for the real agenda behind the scenes. In the name of 'real life' we suddenly found all the street back alley garbage invading our living rooms, our children's lives (and destroying their childhood innocence at the same time) until now our world is so polluted with garbage you can't turn a corner without coming face to face with it. Sad, indeed.

How's that for controversy, Michael? :eek:

Sandi Bowman

Sandi Bowman November 6, 2006 05:48 PM

Hi, Woody,

Thanks for the article. A bit of a different take on some colors than other authorities I've read but interesting nonetheless.

The colors that are successful in business depends upon the goal and the audience. For example, everyone says that black is sophisticated but, to some folks, it could also represent evil so, using a black background on a site may or may not positively influence the viewer.

A more useful application of black for sophistication might be the use of black toned other colors such as deep burgundy or navy blue. These are often used to give 'weight' to a site and make what is presented seem to be more substantial in the mind of the viewer.

Most folks believe gold to be a positive influence on folks but don't be too sure of that. To some folks it speaks of pretense and dishonesty! You also have to be careful of the shade or tone of the gold. If it leans toward the mustard side of the spectrum, you should be aware that mustard is an almost universally hated color...it's at the bottom of every preference list I've ever seen.

The best color for something depends a lot on what that something is. A pink sweater may be fine but a pink car leads one into emotionally dangerous territory. That is one reason why going with the colors one likes can backfire. I love some pink shades but I'd no sooner put them on a business site than I would paint it all chartreuse (another unpopular color with the majority).

There's some food for thought.

Sandi Bowman

Pete Egeler November 6, 2006 05:55 PM

Hey, Bob..

If all goes well, I'll "break the news" around the first of December or so. If it doesn't, you will not be required to be on peedles & nins any longer. :)

Still got a few "loose cannons.." Ooops, ends, to tie up.

Pete

Dien Rice November 6, 2006 06:10 PM

The vulnerabilities of WebBBS (the "old forum" software)...

Hi John,

I agree with many of your points... I think it's a bit of give and take, since there's also more on offer now too (eg. the ability to create a poll, etc.), in addition to the points you raise...

I did a check, and this new forum has averaged 19 new posts a day since we started - which doesn't seem too bad to me! (I haven't checked what the average was at the "old" forum, but I'm sure it was probably similar...)

As I mentioned before, the reason we had to change was because of Denial-of-Service attacks. The flaw in WebBBS (the old forum software) which permitted this has been documented - you can read about it here... http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/v....aspx?ID=19240. In a nutshell, people (who know what they're doing) can attack WebBBS to "consume system resources" - which means they'll crash the server (which is what happened with the old Sowpub forum about 3 times).

I know other people are still using WebBBS - they're lucky nobody has so far wanted to attack them. However, to continue using WebBBS means they remain vulnerable to these attacks if anyone decides to perform one. (They don't have to do it for any reason - sometimes people do these kinds of things just to see if they can.)

Unfortunately, there's no other forum software "out there" which I've seen which is exactly like WebBBS in how it operates... I've tried to go with the best I could find!

- Dien

Ankesh November 7, 2006 12:58 AM

The most important thing to learn about colours is contrast.

Yellow has a different perception when its with blue than when its with red.

One interesting story about colours I read recently is that in Quebec, Canada - Unilever doesn't sell as much of margarine as they do in other parts of the world. And the reason for that is the Quebec courts have passed a law: making margarine yellow instead of its natural white is illegal. Everywhere else, additives are added to margarine to make it yellow - so that it looks more like butter.

And when it looks more like butter, it automatically tastes more like butter too.

MichaelRoss November 7, 2006 05:41 AM

Sandi,

Thanks for your comments.

Let me briefly add this fopr consideration...

Homosexuality is NOT a Condition it IS a sexual fetish like any other sexual fetish - feet, stockings, high heels, S&M, B&D, latex, etc., etc.

When viewed this way, their Fight for Rights becomes even more absurd. And is as invalid as Any Fetishist wanting Special Rights just for them.

On the other front - garbage - each individual business controls what they do or do not sell. From movie house and recording studios to the humble store where the stuff is bought. I view it more a Reflection of that Business Owner's Standards more so. The Newsstand can say No To **** just as any Private Establishment can set Dress Codes for entry.

Michael Ross

Sandi Bowman November 7, 2006 08:55 AM

Thanks for the reply, Michael.

Afraid your information on homosexuality is a bit out-dated, however. Recent studies show that there is definitely a different wiring, shall we say, in the brains of homosexuals. They respond to human pheremones differently than others of the same sex, thus the attraction to members of their own sex. This is true, whether or not they have ever acted on their attraction or not. Fetishists do not exhibit this different biochemistry in the brain. One is a learned behavior (fetish) and one is not, at the most basic biochemical level.

As far as choices among newsstands and movie houses, that perception may be reality where you are but it is not necessarily so in this country. Many contracts from newsstand suppliers and movie suppliers are simply a drop (shipment) of the standard offerings. Now, whether they are prominently displayed in their store or not, is the choice of the owner but not necessarily what is shipped to them.

Owners of newsstands and movie houses could argue the same as news media does that they're just giving the customer what they want but this perception could be a simple rationalization in most cases, just like it is in the news media. Who ever said that people prefer to hear only bad news? How about a balance between good and bad? We don't need to know about every kid or adult who goes off half-cocked and thus encourage copycatters. It's a tragedy for the folks involved but it doesn't have to concern everyone around the world. On the other hand, if there's an epidemic, and it could affect us and others around us, it's good to be forewarned.

The media, in general, has gone so far overboard in their sensationalism that they distort people's perceptions, inhibit progress toward solving problems, often keep negative emotions stirred up deliberately, influence creation and passage of bad legislation, and act as a negative influence on young people and folks who may be emotionally unstable...all in the name of news (and greed). It's no wonder we're seeing a rise in crime among the young. They haven't been given any other popular role models outside of the family to relate to that are positive and healthy.

Sandi Bowman

Unregistered November 7, 2006 10:53 AM

Re: The vulnerabilities of WebBBS (the "old forum" software)...

Dien,

Of course I still feel SOWPUB is an excellent forum, or I would not be here!!!
You know something is good when people keep coming back, right? :)

I also understand why you changed the software, I would have too.

Let's keep it going.

John

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 6573)
Hi John,

I agree with many of your points... I think it's a bit of give and take, since there's also more on offer now too (eg. the ability to create a poll, etc.), in addition to the points you raise...

I did a check, and this new forum has averaged 19 new posts a day since we started - which doesn't seem too bad to me! (I haven't checked what the average was at the "old" forum, but I'm sure it was probably similar...)

As I mentioned before, the reason we had to change was because of Denial-of-Service attacks. The flaw in WebBBS (the old forum software) which permitted this has been documented - you can read about it here... http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/v....aspx?ID=19240. In a nutshell, people (who know what they're doing) can attack WebBBS to "consume system resources" - which means they'll crash the server (which is what happened with the old Sowpub forum about 3 times).

I know other people are still using WebBBS - they're lucky nobody has so far wanted to attack them. However, to continue using WebBBS means they remain vulnerable to these attacks if anyone decides to perform one. (They don't have to do it for any reason - sometimes people do these kinds of things just to see if they can.)

Unfortunately, there's no other forum software "out there" which I've seen which is exactly like WebBBS in how it operates... I've tried to go with the best I could find!

- Dien

Hugh Gaugler November 7, 2006 11:02 AM

Actually, The REAL Truth Is . . .

Believing in the results of "studies" is dangerous. Remember the "study" that found children were NOT in any way adversley affected by sugar? Do you suspect the fact that this "study" was funded by the sugar interests might have had something to do with its outcome?

The truth is, all beings are spirits, not bodies. Some, hard-core secularists in particular, like to blame the result of people's non-survival choices on the body or body chemicals . . . "Oh, gosh, I just can't help myself, I have no choice, my body made me do it . . . "

Blaming a condition that results from one's own decisions on this or that brain chemical is is the modern "scientific" way of "proving" that no one needs to take responsiblity for their choices and actions. One favorite phrase is "It's not YOUR fault!" And since it's purely a "chemical problem", well then, the only answer to any such condition is chemical --- meaning DRUGS, more of. Thus, it's best to check and see who is funding a particular "study", and what they are selling, before taking it as gospel.

Take the spirit, the actual decision maker, out of the equation --- which is the goal of the hard-core secular interests in the society - - - and you elminate the concept of free will. That accomplished, you open the door to blaming anything and everything that people do on anything other than the true culprit, the decision maker, the spirit.

The body CAN have an effect on one, and so can chemicals. But bodies and chemicals don't make decisions. That's the sole province of the spirit, the OWNER of the body. And the spirit's decisions, good or bad, pro-survival or counter-survival, have consequences. Not knowing this truth, those who do "studies" often get CAUSE and EFFECT backwards. They conclude that because a certain chemical happens to be on the scene, it is the CAUSE of the condition they are examining when, in actual fact, it is spirit's decisions and actions which CAUSE that chemical to be there! [Example: Get angry, and certain chemicals will appear in the body. To blame getting angry on the chemicals is backwards. The chemicals appear as a RESULT of the decision to get angry. They aren't the CAUSE of one's anger . . . that comes from the DECISION to get angry!]

---- Hugh

Sandi Bowman November 7, 2006 03:03 PM

The blue shirt out-performed the others because blue is a calming color and says 'trustworthy' to the prospect. It's obviously a good, compatible, color for your personality...or perhaps a good counterpoint. Either way, it works for you and that's good information to have.

ASIDE TO OTHERS: Here you will observe that one secret to his success is that, no matter how simplistic the apparent question, he tests things out and tracks responses. Think we should 'go and do likewise'?

Yellow and brown alternating wall panels? Instinct says yuck but it would depend upon the shades used, I suspect. All yellow could be too hard on the eyes, particularly if fluorescent lighting dominates, so perhaps the brown tone was needed to ease the eye strain and the montony if it was a large wall expanse. Without seeing it, I'm really just guessing as to the possible explanation. Anyway, for you, I tried. :)

Sandi Bowman