View Single Post
Old October 31, 2011, 05:35 PM
sandalwood

Default Re: A Wine & Cheese business idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Hi Tom...thanks for your input. Do the stores you mention have it laid out as self-service (in the form of the labeling idea I mentioned) or do they have experts available to answer your wine & cheese pairing questions?

There are two wholefoods near me and although they carry a wide selection of cheeses, neither of them sells wines.

Thanks
-Samir

The stores I mentioned each have a spokes lady who does their ads and is available to the general public in one of their stores on a rotating basis. The location is always advertised in advance and usually well attended. On a daily basis a consumer can consult with the liquor/wine manager who, as far as I can tell, pretty well versed in cheese wine pairings. These stores seem to go out of their way to be consumer friendly. I might just be experiencing a market phenomenon and don't even know it.

As for the whole foods remark I made, I may have them mixed with another store on South Virginia. If I did, I'm sorry about taking their name in vain.

I think your idea is a good one. I would suspect you would have to do a ton of footwork to get it off the ground but if that's all it takes and you have the time, may you enjoy all the success in the world. I am not an expert in that field by any means.

Oh, this just popped into my pea brain. One of the local liquor stores (4 outlets in this area) hosts a Friday night, summer time wine tasting. The servers are reps from the various wineries. They always have cheese and crackers laid out with a blurb about which of their wines goes with which cheese. As far as I can tell, none of the liquor store's employees knows a darned thing about wine/cheese pairings. You might hit this arena first and educate the employees so they can sell more wine. Again, just my 2¢.

Tom