View Single Post
Old April 21, 2017, 01:59 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Thanks for sharing that, Steve... More about the over-50s alone market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MacLellan View Post
Years after my second divorce I tried dating again. I'm sure it was me, not them. Wonderful gals — but I felt I was too old to be starting a third family. I won't say never again.... that's a long time (I hope). Also saw a lot of people around my age going through the same thing so a few years later I started 50alone.com
Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing how you started 50alone.com ...

Last year or maybe in 2015 I found out about Stitch www.stitch.net , which is a startup targeting over 50s who were alone (it sounds similar to your project)... Not only to help them with romance, but also to help with companionship and friendships.

It's a startup, but I know about it because I know someone who invested money in it.

I think it was very popular with its users. I believe the business, though, had problems because they were hoping to grow through word of mouth... However, because they were targeting people who were alone or lonely, their users didn't have many people to tell about it, so the growth was much slower than expected...

It's still going, though I think it's now switched over to being a non-profit...

(The person I know who invested I think managed to get a profit back, due to the special deal he had, but I think many investors lost some of their money...)

One thing with writing about divorce is, I'm conscious how painful it can be, so I tried to be careful to walk a line where I don't make light of it! I'm not divorced, but I've had "hot discussions" (that's what my parents would call them) with my girlfriend, who's now my wife, where we felt like we were going to come close... It wasn't fun...! (Luckily, so far each time we've patched things up...)

Best wishes,

Dien