View Single Post
Old August 7, 2022, 02:42 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default This is another way Mark Twain became famous...

Hi Glenn,

I've always enjoyed Mark Twain (I loved reading "Huckleberry Finn" when I was a youth), but your post has made me look into him more...

He apparently was a great self-promoter!
"...while watching a documentary about Mark Twain on PBS the other night, I was interested to learn how early in his writing life he shamelessly promoted himself, and how aggressively. And how well.

"After an early series of travel articles that he wrote was picked up by several newspapers, he decided to leverage this into a publicity event and turn it into a lecture.

"He rented the Academy of Music, on Pine Street in San Francisco, for 50 (borrowed) dollars. Then he did about $150 worth of printing and advertising to promote the event.

"This was in 1866. The $200 he spent would work out to more than $2,600 in today’s dollars. Twain would’ve been 30 or 31 years old, and he’d only started writing for money a year or so before that.

"A young writer today borrowing and spending $2,600 to promote himself seems kind of brazen."
From https://www.fastcompany.com/59875/gr...self-promotion

Wow! I'm going to have to look more into Mark Twain's self-promotion techniques!

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
"His adventures produced The Innocents Abroad, a book so funny and provocative it made him an international star for the rest of his life."

Thanks Dien,

The above quote is from Amazon.com
And seems to be true. Since I have found similar info elsewhere.

His 1st book (And maybe most famous) was "Tom Sawyer"

But what made him Famous was a series of Articles he wrote while traveling. Which he combined into a book. (Which I have not read yet.)

=====
=====

I recently visited The GoodWill Store here in Maryland.

6 bucks for everything Mark Twain ever wrote.

Discovered the articles he wrote About His Travels on a SteamShip to Europe and The Holy Lands - that he turned into the Book.

that made him FAMOUS - "Innocents Abroad"

was sold Door to Door!

I Didn't Know that.

Shows you the power of Salesmanship. Plus the Value of having Multiple Sales Strategies.

Glenn

Last edited by Dien Rice : August 7, 2022 at 02:59 AM.