View Single Post
Old July 21, 2003, 10:50 PM
Dien Rice

Default Who are the Hunzas (of Hunza Bread fame)?

This is a pretty interesting thread - thanks to all. :)

I did a little web-sleuthing, and found this....

"Hunza is a kingdom in the Gilgit area of Pakistan on one side of a valley. The other side is Nagir. The Hunzukuts and the Nagirkuts both speak Burushaski, a language with no known relatives. Hunzukuts are renowned for their longevity, health, and diet. The king of Hunza is called the Mir."

(From http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunza )

Apparently the Hunza Valley where they live is part of the Himalayas - so they live at a very high elevation.

I've read that long lives seems to be one of their characteristics, with it not being uncommon for many "Hunzukuts" to live past 100 and still be healthy and active members of society.

A couple of other nationalities/ethnicities which are long-lived are the Georgians, from the Republic of Georgia, and the Abkhazians, which is also part of Georgia though seeking independence. They also tend to live healthy and active lives past 100 years old. They are also "mountain people" - living at the high elevations of the Caucasus mountains. I wonder if this is a connection? Walking up and down those mountains must keep you fit!

- Dien Rice