Thread: Flyer Critique
View Single Post
Old September 29, 2003, 02:07 PM
Michael S. Winicki

Default Gary, the first thing you should do is...

> I am starting a "Gutter Guard"
> installation business for keeping leaves and
> debris out of gutters, and will be passing
> out flyer's and need some help with my first
> Flyer.

> I couldn't believe the prices they are
> charging for these
> from $6 to $14 per liner ft.

> Here is the first Flyer.

> Gutter Guards Installed {Caps}

> Stop Cleaning Your Gutters {Caps}

> Gutter Guards will keep leaves from clogging
> your gutters, allowing the free flow of
> water off your roof.

> Avoiding the need for annual gutter
> cleaning. Our gutter guards snaps on to your
> existing gutter.

> Prices are $3.00 per liner foot, which
> includes material and labor cost.

> Here is a picture of our gutter guard

> PIC

> CALL ME FOR A NO OBLIGATION ESTIMATE!

> 555-1212

> We always clean existing leaves FREE of
> charge

> Any ideas.

> All the best,

> Gary Creed
> [email protected]

develop a unique selling proposition for your business. You hit upon a couple key points but I think they could be emphasized even more strongly and they need to be a the top of the ad. Please do not start the flyer with "Gutter Guards Installed". That is one weak headline. Remember what you are trying to do is get the reader to read the headline and then read the second line. That's the whole purpose of the headline, nothing more, nothing less. There are far more powerful headlines available that could get your prospect to read your second line than "Gutter Guards Installed." The fact is there are probably quite a few headlines that could work--but they would each have to be tested for effectiveness.

You could/should consider creating a free report... something like "The Easy Way to Eliminate Gutter Problems--Forever" or "7 Good Reasons to Invest in Gutter Guards" or "Why Smart Homeowners Invest in Gutter Guards" or whatever. Then you give them the free report. The whole flyer could be built around the giving of the free report rather than the selling of your services. This is an example of two-step advertising.

The other thing you could do is provide the prospect with a voice-recorded message so that if they desire your services but are leery of getting "sold" they could call a phone number that gives a 1-5 minute discussion on the benefits of using gutter guards.

Do not underestimate how much people hate the thought of dealing with a salesperson. Your flyer may have a much larger chance of success if you use methods of prospecting where the prospect doesn't have to interact with you directly--at least at the beginning. Selling is relationship building and problem solving.

Not knowing how you are going to distribute these flyers you may want to consider doing a series of flyers that go to the same prospect list. Each flyer should be sent every couple of weeks. Why do this? Because it builds confidence in the prospect that you're no "fly-by-night".

Name me one homeowner that hasn't had a problem (or two) with some kind of contractor be it painting, landscaping, gutters, siding, roofing or what not. Customers will thank god that a contractor will even show up on time or clean up their mess or return a phone call. I've dealt with a lot of different businesses over the years and I think home improvement contractors are the most unprofessional group of business owners on the planet. And while I like the idea of a flyer I think it is going to have to be a good one that exudes reliability and professionalism. The other thing to think about is the pricing issue... you say that you can install your guards for a lot less than the competition. Make sure you justify in the prospects mind WHY you can do that. If you don't the prospect may definitely see you as a "fly-by-night" that installs substandard product. Dealing with prospects using a low price oriented USP can be very tricky.

Good luck,

Mike Winicki

The best reference book available for creating space ads and flyers...