View Single Post
Old June 19, 2017, 03:46 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default No plans to move to NZ yet... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSki View Post
Dien could go move New Zealand on his Australian passport...No one (yet) has New Zealand in their crosshairs.
Hi Steve,

It's certainly true that anyone with Australian citizenship can live in New Zealand (and vice versa)... This is due to an agreement between the two countries...

I've only spent a little bit of time in New Zealand, though. I'm sure I could enjoy it there...

No plans to move at the moment, though!

By the way, Steve, I'm sure you're eligible for Australian citizenship nowadays, if you want it. You can retain your US citizenship in the process...

My family (I came here with my parents and two brothers) lived here for over a decade before we took out Australian citizenship. It used to be you would lose your US citizenship, but then the rules effectively changed, and you could retain it...

On the other hand, as a permanent resident (which is like having a green card), you don't really have any disadvantage compared to Australian citizens. The only real advantage, I think, is if you decide to move back to the States, as a dual citizen you can again move back to Australia any time without restrictions...

Best wishes,

Dien